Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 10:08 AM

264 posts, read 821,659 times

Advertisements

I realize this is a little off the topic, but I don't understand why divorced parents are made to pay for college....? Parents that are together are not legally forced to pay for a child's college education. My parents (who were divorced) did not help me pay for my higher education one bit. I worked my ass off in high school while everyone else was out drinking and partying and got a full scholarship for the first 4 years. The rest of the time (pharmacy school) I took out loans that yes I am still paying off. I think it is crazy that a judge would order a parent (custodial or otherwise) to pay for college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:10 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,590,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
I realize this is a little off the topic, but I don't understand why divorced parents are made to pay for college....? Parents that are together are not legally forced to pay for a child's college education.
They aren't forced too, but if it's something they agree about it's written into the divorce papers.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:15 AM

264 posts, read 821,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
They aren't forced too, but if it's something they agree about it's written into the divorce papers.

Ok, I see your point. But it is hard for me to imagine anyone agreeing to that. ? My stepdaughter's mother (who has since lost custody anyway so it is now a nonissue) once threatened to take my husband back to court to get money for college for their daughter. Of course It never came to that but I wonder if there would have been any chance of her being successful?

Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 AM

36,926 posts, read 31,185,637 times
Quote:
So now on my 2nd year of community college and almost ending my 1st semester, my Dad only gives me 2,500.....
I was shocked to find out......My dad claims hes only makes 20,000 in divorce papers...but hes living in a high security apartment complex with a lot of celebs....has a black american express card...i call BS.Investment banker that does projects like skype etc..

Im just bummed what to do now....If I knew my dad was going to not keep his word....I would of done something totally different with my life after high school. At least worked a full time job saving money for college.

Since it is in the divorce papers and is an agreement, I was just wondering what actions I can take.. I asked my mom and she says its your problem now..... (she is very stressed about the divorce)...but still it was dissapointing to know that I have no parent to turn to even for advice.

Anyways I need to do something about this situation instead of just sitting around. Is there a lawyer I can contact for free? Do i contact my grandparents?
I just dont know what to do......
Welcome to life 101! Divorce papers are often not worth the paper they are written on. There are tons of clauses written in divorce papers that are never enforced.
Your only recourse is to contact an attorney. Which can get very expensive and drag on for years.
I dont even know why you would think to contact your grandparents.

You do not say how long your parents have been divorced. Your fathers income may have changed since the papers were drawn up. The amount of 50,000 may have meant not to exceed $50,000 and he only pays your actual tuition.

I suggest you suck it up. Your attorney expense and overall stress from the ordeal wont be worth it. Your lucky you get any help at all.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:38 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,933,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
The divorce decree is between mother and father. The father didn't sign any agreement with his son. One of the two parties must sue to enforce the contract. Not some third party. The above is correct(what you responded too). In the OP it also said mother didn't want anything to do with this anymore as well.
I think you are wrong.

Any divorce decree which includes provisions for children carries over whether the child reaches legal age or not and, in this case, the father contractually and specifically agreed to pay a certain amount towards his son's further/college education.

The son was apparently a minor at the time of the divorce. Unless the divorce degree specifically stated that the financial agreement on the "college fund" would be null and void upon the child reaching legal age then that would be legally OK but that's not the case here and would be whacky at best.

The child (now adult) in this case was apparently identified in the divorce decree as a "beneficiary" under the terms of the contract. The father apparently hasn't upheld his financial obligation to the child and the child, now a legal adult, has every right to sue his father.

The fact that the mother either can't or won't step up to the plate is really irrelevant and won't be an issue when it comes to court. Her lack of presence will help the OP's case.

If the father is, as the OP says, living in a luxury suite and possibly living way beyond his means, then he should be held accountable.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:47 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,844,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
Ok, I see your point. But it is hard for me to imagine anyone agreeing to that. ? My stepdaughter's mother (who has since lost custody anyway so it is now a nonissue) once threatened to take my husband back to court to get money for college for their daughter. Of course It never came to that but I wonder if there would have been any chance of her being successful?
It makes sense to me. A lot of men gripe about paying their exes but I imagine many of them don't mind (or wouldn't mind, given the opportunity) setting aside money for the kids that their mother couldn't have. I think a very reasonable solution to bickering about money is to propose that a lump sum be set side for the children's education.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,180,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
..and now I dont see the point of staying out of trouble and getting good grades.
It kind of sounds immature,
My dads good as dead if he fails to keep his word. Hes already broken apart the family so much. Lying and deceiving to his kids and wife.....I just cant justify a father like that especially him being my father.
Oh I see, "staying out of trouble and getting good grades" are worthless endeavors. Better to let your REAL self shine through, get in trouble and be a lazy as*. If that's what you want to do, do it. Money shouldn't get in your way. Besides, it's your father's fault.

He alone is responsible for the breakup of the family; there's only one side to any story. But if he's good for the money, then gee, how much you love him and it was all Mommy's fault.

Time to grow up. Sue your father, if you feel you must because YOU are a worthless, lazy person and shouldn't someone ELSE pay for you to make someone of yourself.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:25 AM

890 posts, read 2,792,817 times
You father made decisions for himself and must be responsible for those actions.

You lack knowledge and emotional maturity on how to deal with these things in the adult world. And your first emotional reaction is to want to love your father despite the fact that his decisions broke your family unit.

There can be many reasons as to why your father agree on that divorce paper. I would guess is that he made a promise to give later so that he pays little not (during the divorce) and in your father's mind, he thinks he can weasel his way out of that.

Wrong for him, because he is legally bound to fulfill that obligation. If you just let it go, you are basically approving his bad behavior simply because you are sick for the lack of "approval" as person of worth.

My advice is to obtain a copy of the divorce decree for your records. Then contact a lawyer, or your mom's divorce lawyer. Ask for a referral on who (what lawyer) can handle this. Most first consultations are free.

When you get the money, I suggest you spend some of that on individual counselling and explore that damaged of the divorce has done to you as a person. It would feel like an emotional turmoil, but it is part of the process to heal as a whole person, rather than a person needing validation from those who wronged you, namely your father.

Good luck.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,519,062 times
I like how everyone is lecturing this kid to grow up and take responsibility for his situation. Well excuse me, but doesn't seeking to enforce his rights pursuant a written agreement constitute doing just that? I smell a ton of resentment and jealousy from people whose parents couldn't or wouldn't help out with college.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:15 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,706,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I like how everyone is lecturing this kid to grow up and take responsibility for his situation. Well excuse me, but doesn't seeking to enforce his rights pursuant a written agreement constitute doing just that? I smell a ton of resentment and jealousy from people whose parents couldn't or wouldn't help out with college.
His father signed the agreement and he will have to pay if he is sued most likely, thats most likely where the law stands and it is what it is.
I'm sorry but I can't imagine suing my own father over some money. Especially something he has no real moral entitlement too. No resentment or jealousy about it. And I'm sorry blaming his father for him slacking off in high school(cause he thought someone else would pay for his laziness, and it looks like he probably will) and now he can't get scholarships is absolutely laughable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships