Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 02:13 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,295,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
Hey , I dont know if this is the right section but hopefully so.

Anyways when my mom and dad divorced, on the papers my dads agreement was to pay 25,000 in the first 2 years of college and then another 25,000 in the other 2 years of college.

When I was in high school hearing this made me stop caring so much about getting into college knowing I wouldnt be able to get in the school I could go into unless I have the money or take a loan.

Anyways not wanting to take out a loan and balancing my budget, I planned to go to community college in the first 2 years and be able to go to a nice university in the next 2.

For the 1st year I had a GPA of 3.4 and my dad only sent me 5,000.
I thought my Dad was going to give me 20,000 in the next year so I wasnt that bummed out...and considering I didnt need that much for cc.

So now on my 2nd year of community college and almost ending my 1st semester, my Dad only gives me 2,500.....
I was shocked to find out......My dad claims hes only makes 20,000 in divorce papers...but hes living in a high security apartment complex with a lot of celebs....has a black american express card...i call BS.Investment banker that does projects like skype etc..

Im just bummed what to do now....If I knew my dad was going to not keep his word....I would of done something totally different with my life after high school. At least worked a full time job saving money for college.

Since it is in the divorce papers and is an agreement, I was just wondering what actions I can take.. I asked my mom and she says its your problem now..... (she is very stressed about the divorce)...but still it was dissapointing to know that I have no parent to turn to even for advice.

Anyways I need to do something about this situation instead of just sitting around. Is there a lawyer I can contact for free? Do i contact my grandparents?
I just dont know what to do......

hire the fugliest prostitute you can find, visit dear ole dad on a sunday, with whiskey on your breathe..
tell him, you are at a cross-roads, you are thinking of starting a family.... dropping out of college
your first kid will be named after him..
oh, and be sure to tell him, you bumped into a couple of his influential friends somewhere,,and they barely said hello..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 08:07 PM

484 posts, read 2,212,005 times
Well him claiming he was poor all throughout high school really diminished my motivation to try to attend a prestigious since I heard horror stories about debt.
Then I chose the cheapest/best route within the planned budget but he never promised as stated in the papers where I am a beneficiary 25k for the first 2 years, then 25k for the last 2 years.
I looked for colleges/routes within that budget where I can also live outside Mom's house and live frugally.

But he never delivered and eventually cost 10k more(5th year at university) since I had to work full time and go to school full time in the 2 years because my father did not deliver as promised.

Eitherways he claims he will send it by August this year. If he doesn't deliver, well I will do as promised on this forum.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:17 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,453,478 times
We only have what the OP has told us. We have not seen the actual divorce papers.

In the first post the OP stated: "on the papers my dads agreement was to pay 25,000 in the first 2 years of college and then another 25,000 in the other 2 years of college."

Notice the word "college." He did not say "my dad's agreement was to pay 25K to me between the ages of 18-20 and another 25K between the ages of 20 and 22."

It may very well be that the wording on the divorce papers is explicit that the father would pay up to 25K in tuition for the first two years enrolled in college, and up to another 25K in tuition for the second two years in college.

The OP claimed his sister received the full 50K but that probably means she was fully enrolled in a college that cost at least 50K in those four years.

If the OP attended a much cheaper school, the father would only still be liable for "up to" 50K for the tuition. If the tuition was much lower than 50K, the father would not be liable to still pay the differential.

That is what I read between the lines in the OP's posts.

The father does sound like an arrogant *******, but the son isn't falling too far from the tree either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrape View Post
Well him claiming he was poor all throughout high school really diminished my motivation to try to attend a prestigious since I heard horror stories about debt.
Then I chose the cheapest/best route within the planned budget but he never promised as stated in the papers where I am a beneficiary 25k for the first 2 years, then 25k for the last 2 years.
I looked for colleges/routes within that budget where I can also live outside Mom's house and live frugally.

But he never delivered and eventually cost 10k more(5th year at university) since I had to work full time and go to school full time in the 2 years because my father did not deliver as promised.

Eitherways he claims he will send it by August this year. If he doesn't deliver, well I will do as promised on this forum.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,801,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i had to work for my college tuition mom and dad did not pay.
what do you hope to accomplish by suing your parents?
That's my feeling. My parents never divorced, there was no bitterness between them but there also wasn't so much wealth that I ever felt entitled or was entitled to $50,000 so college was something I did for myself. The gift my parents gave me was a work ethic so I could work and get what I wanted. It's kind of sad that the relationship is just about money.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:52 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,512,518 times
If the last legal court paperwork states that your father is supposed to pay you $25,000 a year, you can take him to court about that. If it is not specifically written out in the amount, you'll have a much harder time. You said your father claims to be making $20,000 a year. Is that on the court paperwork too? The judge will go by the last court paperwork. You won't find a free lawyer unless you have some relative that is one. You'll have to hire one, unless you wish to represent yourself (not an easy thing to do). If you do it on your own you will have to find out all the paperwork that needs to be done, fill it out, file it, probably have your father's paperwork served to him, which will also cost.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:45 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,411,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's my feeling. My parents never divorced, there was no bitterness between them but there also wasn't so much wealth that I ever felt entitled or was entitled to $50,000 so college was something I did for myself. The gift my parents gave me was a work ethic so I could work and get what I wanted. It's kind of sad that the relationship is just about money.
I'm sure your parents also instilled you with a belief that if you sign a contract, you fulfill it.

It drives me crazy when people think that laws or obligations should work differently just because of domestic ties. If you sign a contract, you live up to it whether you're related to the person or not. If you assault someone, the penalty should be the same if it was a spouse or child as it would be if it was a stranger. Etc.

If his father signed a contract, that's his obligation. It's not ENTITLEMENT on the son's part. It's legal obligation on the father's part. The OP had a right to assume that his father, barring financial insolvency, would live up to his legal obligation. That is not entitlement in the sense that someone is expecting something they do not deserve.

And yes, sometimes biological relationships do just come down to money, because they are basically accidents of nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships