Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2022, 10:15 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 40s and lately it seems I've gotten very annoyed with unsolicited advice. To be clear I'm not at all saying I know everything, but it seems people like to give their two cents on so much these days and it gets annoying. Is anyone else seeing this or am I just getting old and cranky?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 12:13 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
I think it's normal as people age to become less tolerant or less welcoming of unsolicited advice.

Old 12-12-2022, 10:08 AM

290 posts, read 249,832 times
Definitely yes. I've stopped watching almost all TV news because I'm being instructed -- not informed.

Be sure and wear your coat.
Download our weather App!!
Take an alternative route.
Slow down!
Turn around -- Don't drown!
Have thick coats for your kids before walking them to the bus stop.
Spend more time with your kids and read to them.
Be sure and use your low beams
Be sure to turn on your windshield wipers.
Remember our city is very diverse!
You should go the the State Fair.
Don't walk your dog unless the temperature is...
Be sure to have a secure leash.
Don't forget to vote (but only for the candidate we're telling you to vote for).
Be careful on the ice
Be sure to download our weather App!!
Please, Please, Please stay home today! <- Perky McWeatherTits, haranguing us not to drive on ice.
Leave your water running at night to avoid freezing.
Bring your plants in (or out, or whatever).
Don't leave your pets outside.
Only use low gears when on ice <- Yeah, our traffic goober actually said this.
You should try the new Starbuck's (something -- I stopped listening).
Always use appropriate extension cords (with no explanation of what that means).
Make a budget and stick to it for holiday spending!
Download our weather App RIGHT NOW!

I tolerate these yahoos for a few minutes every morning, since my wife likes to watch them. But I never make it more than 5-10 minutes before getting annoyed and leaving for another room.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:20 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Annoyed? Not really. Smile and say thank you for the information. Or thank you, I will consider that.

However, as one goes through life and gains more experience it becomes painfully obvious that so many people don't know what they are talking about but they want to put in their two cents anyway and pretend they are an expert, even when they know nothing.

So unsolicited advice rarely has any value.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:26 AM

6,296 posts, read 4,192,051 times
I didn’t appreciate while I was young either because it was usually just an opinion or a judgement that was made without knowing the facts. What I did learn with age is not to argue , or justify but just say thanks and ignore.

Old 12-12-2022, 04:57 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,402,584 times
I've younger than you and have always hated unsolicited advice. Like why can't people just mind their own business?

Old 12-12-2022, 05:12 PM

1,861 posts, read 838,044 times
wait till you turn sixty, you be standing alone in a parking lot hollering "Listen to me"

Old 12-12-2022, 05:20 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Not since I saw Battlestar Galactica, The Living Legend, Part 1.

Adama: That is one opinion, Commander. It does not happen to be MINE.

Of course, now a days, I have tended to sugarcoat that a little bit...............

.........................That's what makes horse races.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:24 PM

462 posts, read 284,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
I've younger than you and have always hated unsolicited advice. Like why can't people just mind their own business?
Yeah but.......if it weren't for people spouting off their unwanted opinions, where would forums like this be?

Old 12-12-2022, 07:03 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,412 times
As you age it should be the opposite because:

your health naturally declines so you should have an open mind about prevention and living without pains that come out of nowhere. Once in your 50s you'll agree . There's a lot of new studies about how to exercise and eat I would have done in my 30s and 40s if I knew (like olive oil at high heat is becomes rancid, benefits of coconut oil..etc).

News in this area is always evolving and shouldn't be dismissed so quickly. What is annoying is the back & forth, this is bad nope this good for certain foods every 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships