Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2022, 07:21 PM

2,138 posts, read 1,208,096 times

Advertisements

Assuming we are not discussing tech as some sort of relationship, and dealing with people, I have found that I am better equipped to deal with their stuff with time. Thing is no matter how nice you are when you bust their lame game they take offense. Even if you don't say it or let them know directly, the mere act of not falling for it offends them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2022, 07:59 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
As you age it should be the opposite because:

your health naturally declines so you should have an open mind about prevention and living without pains that come out of nowhere. Once in your 50s you'll agree . There's a lot of new studies about how to exercise and eat I would have done in my 30s and 40s if I knew (like olive oil at high heat is becomes rancid, benefits of coconut oil..etc).

News in this area is always evolving and shouldn't be dismissed so quickly. What is annoying is the back & forth, this is bad nope this good for certain foods every 10 years.

News and awareness of current info on health and nutrition isn’t the issue, it’s people offering unsolicited opinions disguised as advice. At the age of 60 and dealing with breast cancer I was fully capable of reading up all the info available and relying on my health care team to offer their skilled assessment and advice. I had several acquaintances offer their unsolicited advice which I can honestly say was as useless as a chocolate teapot.

Old 12-13-2022, 04:42 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Yeah it's annoying. I don't know if my tolerance for it has dropped, or if people are just getting more annoying with it.

It's even more annoying when they don't see how annoying they are. I mean, the type that can dish it out, but can't take it. I know someone like that. Not a close friend just an occasional acquaintance, so I can let it slide without too much stress.

I have been working on just nodding and hmmhmming when it happens, rather than getting stressed about it, because it is REALLY annoying lol. And, I am watching MYSELF closely because I have a tendency to do it too, when it comes to other people's pets. I get annoyed at myself when I realize I've done it again lol.

I did have to drop a friend recently because of this and one other, years ago, for the same reason. All she ever wanted to do was tell me how to live. Every response to anything I told her about myself was to tell me what I was doing wrong and what I SHOULD be doing or feeling instead. When I protested she said how can she help me if I won't listen? Haha! Did I ever ask for "help"? NO! She's out of my life now much to my relief.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:51 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,153,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Yeah but.......if it weren't for people spouting off their unwanted opinions, where would forums like this be?
But here, it IS solicited advice.

Old 12-13-2022, 07:58 AM

3,057 posts, read 2,035,841 times
I love getting advice from knowledgeable people in areas that I need help in, usually I have to ask/beg but sometimes it just happens and I am happy to hear it. Happened this past summer in woodworking shop where members use machines and old guys hang around to make sure nothing bloody happens with saws lol. I got great info I'd never get anywhere else while learning to use a bandsaw.

I am guilty of trying to tell my husband how to drive and he resents it. But he has also appreciated information given in other areas that has been very beneficial so we just try and get along and he puts up with unsolicited advice.

I suggest a hard stare at the person giving stupid advice when not needed, and no words.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:13 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times
I think unsolicited advice is a result of people wanting to be helpful, however, it's still annoying. It's not my job to validate THEIR egos.

People who like to give advice usually say things that even a child already knows. For example, if I say that so-and-so's political talk aggravates me, they'll immediately say, "don't call them" or "tell them you aren't discussing politics". DUH!! No kidding! I knew that already! How about keeping your opinions to yourself and just listening without judgement? It's so annoying. Ultimately, it's more annoying to listen to the advice than to deal with the original problem.

I read an article once that said people who give advice are effectively telling you that they know better than you. It's not REALLY about helping you, it's about one-upping you and letting you know that you should have known better. That you could have gotten a better deal on the car or a better price on the turkey, could have been slicker at the taxes or fooling your boss, etc.

Old 12-13-2022, 09:32 AM

377 posts, read 274,745 times
Well as you get older you get wiser and more experienced so you have less of a need for advice. The younger you are the more advice you need.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:30 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I have far less tolerance for those who ask for advice and then never act on it. Otherwise known as askholes.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:38 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
You're not old and cranky, just cranky. That's not a crime.

Old 12-13-2022, 01:53 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Kinda sorta, but it's nuanced. Because I'm older I've gained more life experience and knowledge, so I tend to know my own mind and need/want less advice from others, solicited or not.

OTOH, because I'm older I've learned not to feel threatened by someone else's views and to keep an open mind. I've also learned how to deal with obnoxious behavior with a bit more finesse. I don't feel the need to voice my irritation to the advice-giver directly, I can appear unruffled and serene on the surface but underneath I'm ignoring them. Maybe that comes across as tolerance, maybe it doesn't .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships