Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 03:42 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,367,588 times

Advertisements

There are a few (unnamed) posters who frequent this forum that can use a lot of help.

Everything from soft to out of focus pics, no real subject that draws your eye into the subject, basically no thought given while making the image.

I know I look forward for any C&C, either by direct message or by posting in the thread.

I bite my tongue and don't offer any unsolicited c&C, but I am thinking that it is the time to give and to welcome comments.

Any thoughts??

BTW, I am fair game for anyone who wants to offer me advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 03:58 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
It really all depends how serious someone takes their photography.

Usually the less serious they are the more they want noooooo critique and will let you have it for doing so. . most of us want the critique as that is how we learn.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:02 AM

733 posts, read 1,756,719 times
I think it's tough to give CC because what one person enjoys, another could think it's lame. I could take a picture of something and believe it's one of my best pictures, but someone else could see nothing but flaws. A lot of CC I would receive would likely involve upgrading my camera, which isn't something I'm interested in doing. I spent roughly $500 on my camera, but it's still a point and shoot. I wouldn't get upset if people critiqued my pictures, but I likely wouldn't do much with their advice.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:01 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
I do mine for fun and enjoyment, its a hobby... not a profession and I dont take mine seriously.. I have a cheap camera but love what I do even if others might find faults in some of my photography..... I DONT CARE.... we all see things different... the only thing I dont like in a photo is squinty horizons.. have a lot myself that I try to fix... There are a few wonderful photographers on here , ones I cant compete with but dont want to... I do my own style my way....

Old 01-21-2015, 01:48 PM

4,566 posts, read 5,423,386 times
I would absolutely appreciate advice and comments on any picture I post. Probably because I know there is a LOT of room for improvement so any help I get would be greatly appreciated.

Now if I were a professional photog who makes a living with my photos, I may not be as receptive to other CD members offering comments on my photos. If we were on photographyonthe.net I would be okay because EVERYONE there are experts. Not everyone here are experts.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:04 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
I think most people on here are not pros and even though they might use decent equipment they are still pretty much point and shoots. It is hard to give criticism and even harder for many to accept it.
I'd say if you were to offer CC it needs to be sugar coated and even then be ready for backlash.
Of course when people ask for advice be honest but don't get too technical on them else you might scare them away. We can all learn something new but no one likes being told they are doing it wrong.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:04 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Default Oh, the irony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
There are a few (unnamed) posters who frequent this forum that can use a lot of help.

Everything from soft to out of focus pics, no real subject that draws your eye into the subject, basically no thought given while making the image.

I know I look forward for any C&C, either by direct message or by posting in the thread.

I bite my tongue and don't offer any unsolicited c&C, but I am thinking that it is the time to give and to welcome comments.

Any thoughts??

BTW, I am fair game for anyone who wants to offer me advice.
There are people who ask for advice, such as how to use the forum, then act offended when it's given them.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:30 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
I take editing ideas from friends on here... and thankful for them... but we all have our own imagination and see things interesting that maybe others dont,,, its a bit like an artist who has their own style..and wants to express it... no one can give you that.... not perfect but mine.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 AM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
There are people who ask for advice, such as how to use the forum, then act offended when it's given them.
all the time , it usually starts with those who do not know how to edit nor want to learn. so they post these half baked images out of camera and expect accolades because they are straight out of camera.

only that isn't what happens on a photography site. usually the outcome is they get pissed because the critiques are about what is wrong with their photos but they expected brownie points for posting half finished photo's because they had no editing done..

to this day our photo's get torn apart by folks a lot better than Marilyn and I and we learn more and more from it.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:07 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,494,489 times
Unless a poster is explicitly or implicitly asking for feedback, I try to avoid giving unsolicited advice.

The most common responses to feedback (solicited or otherwise) I see are along the lines of "There's no right or wrong in art" and "Well, I like it".

While art is indeed subjective, the fundamentals of good design are universal. There's a reason why things like the rule of thirds or leading lines work -- because there are common ways that most humans look at/are attracted to certain things. It is useful to learn and understand those basics. For instance, let's say I want to draw the viewer's eye to a particular tree, but the tree is the same tone as the background and there is a bright/colourful trashcan nearby. The viewer's eye will always go to the trashcan. In such a case, there is a right and wrong -- I took the wrong approach and failed in attracting the viewer's attention where I wanted.

And this kind of ties in to the second response of "Well, I like it". If I like it and I don't get distracted by the trashcan (and I'm not selling my pictures), then what does it matter what others think? Well, if I'm sharing images publicly on the internet, then presumably I want other people to look at it and presumably get enjoyment out of it? In which case, I should listen to the opinions of other people. If others are not enjoying/liking my picture, then it is helpful to know why not, so I can change -- so that next time I do share a picture, others do enjoy it -- presumably a big reason for sharing.

On the other hand, feedback provided without detail/explanation isn't helpful. Without an explanation of what does not work, why it does not work, and how to improve it next time, criticism doesn't really help anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography