Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 02:05 PM

296 posts, read 220,365 times

Advertisements

I had a co-worker who was sure Popeye and Bluto must be gay, because they went everywhere together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 03:52 PM

6,406 posts, read 4,919,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Lifer View Post
I had a co-worker who was sure Popeye and Bluto must be gay, because they went everywhere together.
LOL! Would that make Olive Oil a "f*g-hag"?

Old 08-13-2022, 11:53 AM

1,939 posts, read 909,763 times
the way the media and hollywood pushing it, its not cool unless your gay

Old 08-13-2022, 12:14 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,234,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
the way the media and hollywood pushing it, its not cool unless your gay
Nobody is pushing anything. But that's some prime Russian rhetoric, nicely done.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:54 AM

10,528 posts, read 7,175,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
On NPR the other day, there was an author, Marisa Franco, saying that men have a difficult time finding friends because they're so terrified that they may be suspected of being gay. Pretty sad.

You're not uncool. Making friends as an adult is just hard
Franco says men often have more trouble making friends than women because of the way society perceives them. Men are also more likely to rely on their romantic partners for a social network.
“There's this phenomenon called homohysteria, which is the fear of being perceived as gay that I think really, really is destructive for men's friendships,†she says.
https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2021...friends-adults
Truthfully, unless two guys together are hanging out in a sports bar together, fishing, golfing, or shoving five dollar bills in a g-string, there are some idiots who make that assumption about them.

I have a lifelong friend. When we were both single, he was having career problems and needed to talk over it with me. So we meet at this nice restaurant after work to grab a drink. As the place fills up, there are lot of people standing around. My friend and I take no notice, because we're in deep conversation about what he's going to do with his life.

Suddenly there's a woman looming over our table. She's in her mid-forties and has this simpering look about her.

"Excuse me."

"Yes?"

"Are you two gay?" Yes, she really asked us that. Her husband and friends behind her were horrified. I mean, what? Why? How?

Without missing a beat, I replied, "Well, why don't you suck my d*ck and find out?"

Yes, I realize it was not my finest moment, but c'mon. And she actually was beginning to get offended at my reply. Meanwhile, everybody else around us had heard the exchange and start laughing. At her, not me.

Her husband, mortified, apologized and bought our drinks. Then they left.

So, yeah, I kind of get it.

Old 08-14-2022, 07:03 AM

1,218 posts, read 689,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Truthfully, unless two guys together are hanging out in a sports bar together, fishing, golfing, or shoving five dollar bills in a g-string, there are some idiots who make that assumption about them.

I have a lifelong friend. When we were both single, he was having career problems and needed to talk over it with me. So we meet at this nice restaurant after work to grab a drink. As the place fills up, there are lot of people standing around. My friend and I take no notice, because we're in deep conversation about what he's going to do with his life.

Suddenly there's a woman looming over our table. She's in her mid-forties and has this simpering look about her.

"Excuse me."

"Yes?"

"Are you two gay?" Yes, she really asked us that. Her husband and friends behind her were horrified. I mean, what? Why? How?

Without missing a beat, I replied, "Well, why don't you suck my d*ck and find out?"

Yes, I realize it was not my finest moment, but c'mon. And she actually was beginning to get offended at my reply. Meanwhile, everybody else around us had heard the exchange and start laughing. At her, not me.

Her husband, mortified, apologized and bought our drinks. Then they left.

So, yeah, I kind of get it.
LMAO. OMG I would've love to be there.

I'm curious, was being "gay" a big deal back then and in that area? The reason why I ask is that I'm perplexed that anybody would ask that question to a stranger. What was her motivation? Was she pro-gay or anti-gay?

Your response was wonderful. Brutal and misogynistic, but perfect for her

Old 08-14-2022, 08:40 AM

10,528 posts, read 7,175,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
LMAO. OMG I would've love to be there.

I'm curious, was being "gay" a big deal back then and in that area? The reason why I ask is that I'm perplexed that anybody would ask that question to a stranger. What was her motivation? Was she pro-gay or anti-gay?

Your response was wonderful. Brutal and misogynistic, but perfect for her

It was the late 80s or early 90s. I'm sure that, to this day, that women thinks I was in the wrong.

In real life I'm really polite, but I don't suffer fools gladly. My friend still tells that story.

Old 08-14-2022, 04:44 PM

15,730 posts, read 15,908,259 times
Funny, all the objections make me think that people here are trapped in their own individual experience - and perhaps they "doth protest too much."

Old 08-14-2022, 07:12 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,234,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Funny, all the objections make me think that people here are trapped in their own individual experience - and perhaps they "doth protest too much."
That's what you took away from six pages of discussion? Odd. I noticed how you never expressed your own opinion on the topic...

Old 08-23-2022, 08:00 PM

209 posts, read 294,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

There still is some semblance of truth to this statement. Back in the mid 80's, I was hanging around a core group of three other guys. We frequently would be seen cruising the local streets on the weekends. One day, I went to go meet up with one of the guys who promptly asked me to leave. He said there's a rumor going around about town that the four of us were gay because we were always hanging together. He essentially ended a long time friendship over a false perception.

I've noticed since that time that it was difficult for me to make male friends. I initially attributed that difficulty to my personality. Since I re-started counseling over the past couple of years, I learned from my counselor that we tend to view men with suspicion when they reach out to other people. What does he REALLY want? The counselor also told me that men are stigmatized for showing weakness and the need for male friendship is often considered a weakness. Most men have been socialized to believe strength comes from going at it alone and that we don't need anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships