Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 07:34 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,178,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
OK, so maybe we examine what we think 'defines' someone to be gay then. How do we make a judgement that one person might be gay and another not? How do we look at two men walking together and decide if they are gay or not? Two men sharing an apartment together - are they gay? How do we determine this?
How about instead we examine why some of us feel the need to "define someone to be gay"? What business is it of yours and mine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csignorelli View Post
This is why we look at a man who wears skinny jeans, or has a slightly higher-pitched voice, or listens to Taylor Swift, and assume he's gay -- even though none of those things has anything to do with who he finds sexually attractive.
Exactly. I am a straight male with zero sexual interest in my fellow dudes. I wish I could wear skinny jeans and enjoy listening to Taylor Swift (her music seems happy enough vs. what I typically enjoy, but I just can't get into it). Like, that image is actually aspirational to me because my baseline is "moody athletic-ish dude who could stand to lose 10 lbs". The good news is that I couldn't give a flaming fart about some people judging me for it, but I just tend to find the notion of there being "gay things" and "straight things" ridiculous. The only things that should even remotely be classified as such are actual sexual encounters (and even then your mileage may vary).

Old 08-02-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Funny story, my married brother and his married guy friend were on a road trip with their respective teen daughters for some dad-daughter bonding. One night the girls were up in their room and my bro and his friend went to dinner in the hotel. They got to talking with the server and mentioned they wanted to order something to go for "our daughters." The waiter made assumptions and was just delighted with these progressive gay dads and bought them dessert. Bro and friend were tickled by it and just went with it. Just another couple of rich white Republicans from Texas with no issues about gay people.
Good on them. I've got one, too. My best friend fled a certain Eastern European country when it invaded a certain other Eastern European country earlier this year. I booked a hotel for them in their stopover point (a Central Asian country that couldn't exactly be counted on as being progressive). Waiting for him in the room were three huge chocolate hearts with his name and mine (twice, for some reason) written on them in fondant. We laughed our asses off about it. I can only imagine how confused the hotel reception was when he showed up there with his wife and two kids.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:37 AM

8,110 posts, read 7,482,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Well, I dunno….I dated a guy once who stated he would never go to a movie with another guy because he might be perceived as gay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
That's a bit "over the top" if you asked me. Like... if he had a brother would he not want to go hang out with him at a bar/elsewhere just because someone might think his brother was in a romantic relationship with him?

The idea of not going to a movie with another dude sounds like something a working class guy may have said in the 70's as part of a backlash against the nascent gay lib movement. Heck, for all I know, working class guys may still say that. I doubt a middle class white guy would have ever had the same fears.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:48 AM

45,529 posts, read 60,760,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
On one hand, man avoid doing lots of perfectly normal things in order to avoid being marked as gay...

For instance, they don't wear skirts or dresses, they avoid pink color, they avoid speedo swimming briefs and opt for trunks, they avoid wrestling (because I don't want to hug another guy), etc...
The high school I taught at lost its Wrestling team for just that reason. The demographics changed and the incoming kids had never been exposed to high school/collegiate wrestling (they had, however been weaned on WWE) and were afraid they'd be seen as gay if they participated in the sport. The last year we had a team it had four kids.

Up until then we almost always had a couple or three kids go to States every year, with more than one winning their weight class.

Old 08-03-2022, 07:58 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,101,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
How about instead we examine why some of us feel the need to "define someone to be gay"? What business is it of yours and mine?
Oh come on, do you try to find ways to feel offended on behalf of humanity? I went to a gay bar with a lesbian friend… guys who approached me couldn’t believe I WASN’T gay and thought I was just not interested in them. So there, GAY people ALSO make it their business to define someone to be gay. Shocking that PEOPLE try to define PEOPLE in order to help UNDERSTAND them.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:06 AM

1,156 posts, read 631,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The high school I taught at lost its Wrestling team for just that reason. The demographics changed and the incoming kids had never been exposed to high school/collegiate wrestling (they had, however been weaned on WWE) and were afraid they'd be seen as gay if they participated in the sport. The last year we had a team it had four kids.

Up until then we almost always had a couple or three kids go to States every year, with more than one winning their weight class.
Lol, strangely enough that was one of the reasons why I didn't take up wrestling in HS.

I was a scrawny light weight, but started working out and was wiry but kinda strong.

I also watched WWF (yep it wasn't WWE back then lol), though I knew technical wrestling was real and WWF wasn't lol.

I mentioned thinking about trying out for wrestling and one of my classmates made a "gay" joke... something to the tune of... well you well need to get use to smashing your bits into each other wearing speedos. I have to admit, that affected me enough to forget about trying out.

I was never a homophobe, but being in HS the peer pressure was always there to be "popular".

Old 08-03-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Oh come on, do you try to find ways to feel offended on behalf of humanity?
No, and I'm not sure how anything I wrote would have caused you to come to that conclusion.
Quote:
I went to a gay bar with a lesbian friend… guys who approached me couldn’t believe I WASN’T gay and thought I was just not interested in them
That couldn't possibly have been caused by the fact that the majority of men or women who frequent gay bars are not, in fact, straight, could it?
Quote:
So there, GAY people ALSO make it their business to define someone to be gay. Shocking that PEOPLE try to define PEOPLE in order to help UNDERSTAND them.
You're confusing definition and identification and completely misstating my point. Here, I'll make it easy for you:

Two guys sharing an apartment - it's none of anyone's business if they're gay or not, because this information doesn't impact anyone but these two guys. If you feel the need to define them as gay or not, I feel the need to ask why.

Someone wanting to know whether or not a person they might be interested in is also interested in them - of course this directly impacts both those people and there's nothing wrong with that, otherwise how else would you move this social interaction along? But that's not defining one's sexuality based on external factors, that's direct identification.

Old 08-03-2022, 08:31 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,768,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcl View Post
Oh come on, do you try to find ways to feel offended on behalf of humanity? I went to a gay bar with a lesbian friend… guys who approached me couldn’t believe I WASN’T gay and thought I was just not interested in them. So there, GAY people ALSO make it their business to define someone to be gay. Shocking that PEOPLE try to define PEOPLE in order to help UNDERSTAND them.
Context though.

It makes sense to want to know someone's orientation if you want to date or sleep with them. Not so much if you want to hire them, invite them to join your softball team, take a class from them, or rent a room from them.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:06 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,101,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
No, and I'm not sure how anything I wrote would have caused you to come to that conclusion.That couldn't possibly have been caused by the fact that the majority of men or women who frequent gay bars are not, in fact, straight, could it?You're confusing definition and identification and completely misstating my point. Here, I'll make it easy for you:

Two guys sharing an apartment - it's none of anyone's business if they're gay or not, because this information doesn't impact anyone but these two guys. If you feel the need to define them as gay or not, I feel the need to ask why.

Someone wanting to know whether or not a person they might be interested in is also interested in them - of course this directly impacts both those people and there's nothing wrong with that, otherwise how else would you move this social interaction along? But that's not defining one's sexuality based on external factors, that's direct identification.
Humans are curious. It makes no difference to my life how your day is going, but if I find myself next to you and ask how your day is going, is that a problem? If I ask whether the kids next to you are yours is that a problem? I don’t think it’s a big deal or a negative to be curious if the neighbor living with another guy is gay. Once I find out I just as quickly stop giving a damn, and move on to wondering about something else. I suppose in my experience I don’t think it’s a big thing, but maybe others less comfortable with either sharing their sexuality or being around someone with a different lifestyle can be triggered and act differently. Shrug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships