Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2022, 01:36 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times

Advertisements

ONE woman. With a book to sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2022, 02:31 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Silliness to sell a book and/or be controversial enough on the show to make it interesting for people to watch.

Most men I know, including my husband, have more friends than their female SOs.

Old 07-31-2022, 05:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post

This article is just another example of how the media is biased with their reporting.
It's not the media's biased reporting; it's the interviewee's biased viewpoint.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:59 AM

52 posts, read 40,216 times
Men always get a bad rap for being homophobic, but I've known plenty of women who are just as bad. I've talked to female coworkers who were perfectly accepting of gay men, but found lesbians threatening and felt uncomfortable around them. Two women at my current job flat-out denied male bisexuality exists -- they insisted that bi guys are just in denial about being gay. Then there's the constant policing of their male coworkers' behavior -- the minute he says or does the slightest thing that could be perceived as feminine, right away the "omg is he gay??" rumors start flying around.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:07 AM

1,139 posts, read 615,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csignorelli View Post
Men always get a bad rap for being homophobic, but I've known plenty of women who are just as bad. I've talked to female coworkers who were perfectly accepting of gay men, but found lesbians threatening and felt uncomfortable around them. Two women at my current job flat-out denied male bisexuality exists -- they insisted that bi guys are just in denial about being gay. Then there's the constant policing of their male coworkers' behavior -- the minute he says or does the slightest thing that could be perceived as feminine, right away the "omg is he gay??" rumors start flying around.
Interesting to hear that. You are quite correct in that men being homophobic is pretty much what society talks about, but almost never hear about women who are.

Lesbophobic / lesbophobia is a real thing and in fact my sister has sometimes shown a degree of that to me. She is quite inclusive and not derisive about gay / lesbian people, but a few times she expressed discomfort about seeing them kissing or "making out" in public.

TBF some people don't like seeing ANYBODY making out in public, so maybe that is what she meant?

Old 08-01-2022, 08:15 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Well, I dunno….I dated a guy once who stated he would never go to a movie with another guy because he might be perceived as gay.
In a similar vein, I once knew a NJ guy who would go to Pennsylvania every year on the day of the Gay Pride Parade in NYC. Because he lived fairly close to Manhattan, he--bizarrely--believed that others might think that he went to that parade unless he headed west to PA and loudly announced to all of his friends that he would be in Pennsy for the day. Very weird, but...

Old 08-01-2022, 08:16 AM

7,808 posts, read 3,817,548 times
NPR has a political agenda, and it comes through on much of its so-called "reporting."

Old 08-01-2022, 09:03 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Well, I dunno….I dated a guy once who stated he would never go to a movie with another guy because he might be perceived as gay.
I always wonder about people who are that obsessed with proving they aren't gay. I don't necessarily subscribe to the pop psychology theory that says they're repressing latent homosexual feelings, but how insecure do you have to be to GAF what random people think about you doing random things? Drinking with your bros isn't gay, but going to see a movie is?

Old 08-01-2022, 09:05 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,159,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
NPR has a political agenda, and it comes through on much of its so-called "reporting."
LOL. Substitute any media outlet for NPR and your (non-)statement maintains accuracy.

Old 08-01-2022, 09:50 AM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
ONE woman. With a book to sell.
Beat me to it.

What a ridiculous assertion. Really stupid. Where do these people come from?

I, at 69, y/o have quite a few male friends that I go out with individually and in groups. Usually involves food and drink. Sometimes car shows. Maybe a shooting range. Mainly bars and restaurants.

We moved to our present state, TN, without knowing anybody.

Admittedly, we NEVER talk about relationships. No interest in that.

ETA: How many times will "homo-hysteria" be bandied about, here, there and everywhere before that gets overused and burnt out?

Last edited by doc1; 08-01-2022 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships