Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 AM

153 posts, read 131,581 times

Advertisements

It does seem a bit odd to me, speaking as someone who is very tight with my money. The $10 is one thing and she could've given you a little more time to get the cash. I understand her wanting that money back though. However, the gas situation and penny pinching is very strange. Especially if you never ask for that money from her when the situation is reversed. She's taking from you and not offering to pay you back, but expects you to pay her back every penny? As for the gas, I've gone on road trips where we alternated who paid for the next tank of gas. But those are long drives. A quick drive across town is simply: "Hey, thanks for the lift." "No problem, I'm glad you could come to the club with me tonight."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:49 AM

153 posts, read 131,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Yes, it's an app. It's tied to your bank account and you simply type in her Venmo ID, phone number or email, and it instantly transfers the money to her. (PayPal works similarly ... some people use that instead)

And you not having a car is likely the reason she charges you for gas ... to ensure that you don't get in the habit of taking advantage of her. Chloe sounds like someone who has gotten burned by people in the past and but still wants to be able to help her friends while still protecting herself in the process.
And yet Chloe doesn't offer to pay the OP back when she buys something for her. If I itemized my receipts to get every penny back from a friend, you can bet I'd make sure I paid every penny back (most likely rounded up to the nearest dollar) to them when they picked something up at the store for me.

So who's taking advantage of who...

Old 05-02-2018, 08:49 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,316,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
i don't have that. if she would have asked i would have gotten it and paid her back. i guess it's an app?

and to the person who asked, no I don't have a car. I don't know how to drive.
Was there no ATM within the area of the club???

Anyway, she shouldn't have to ask you to get Venmo...you're an adult.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:02 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,149,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Was there no ATM within the area of the club???

Anyway, she shouldn't have to ask you to get Venmo...you're an adult.
we saw one but it was down. I didn't look around anywhere else. i was honestly super drunk.

I know I'm an adult. I said Id pay her back and I did. I didn't even know what Venmo was until just now.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
And yet Chloe doesn't offer to pay the OP back when she buys something for her. If I itemized my receipts to get every penny back from a friend, you can bet I'd make sure I paid every penny back (most likely rounded up to the nearest dollar) to them when they picked something up at the store for me.

So who's taking advantage of who...
Yeah I don't know The situation just had made me feel weird. What if she gets pushy about other stuff?

I might still hang out but maybe not as much.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:16 AM

25,265 posts, read 11,659,053 times
You borrowed cash and were going to pay it back at your convenience.
Cloe is your only friend and she wanted her cash back.
You have no car and do not drive. Cloe is the driver who is asking for gas money.
You can afford to be "super drunk" but paying her back is an issue.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 AM

407 posts, read 374,106 times
Quote:
Yeah I don't know The situation just had made me feel weird. What if she gets pushy about other stuff?

I might still hang out but maybe not as much.
If this is the only 'quirk' she has and you otherwise enjoy her company, I would just make mental note that she is the way she is with money and continue to hang out as you have. It's really not that big of a deal to pay her back for things she buys you and chip in for gas (especially since you don't drive at all).

If you feel slighted that she doesn't pay you back for things you pay for, ask her to pay you. She shouldn't take offense as she does the same thing. And if she does, well, that might be the bigger issue overall.

You could even bring up Venmo with her. "Hey, have you heard of Venmo? We should both get the app and then we can easily pay each other for the stuff we buy right when we buy it." That would give her the hint that you want her to pay you back too.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
If this is the only 'quirk' she has and you otherwise enjoy her company, I would just make mental note that she is the way she is with money and continue to hang out as you have. It's really not that big of a deal to pay her back for things she buys you and chip in for gas (especially since you don't drive at all).

If you feel slighted that she doesn't pay you back for things you pay for, ask her to pay you. She shouldn't take offense as she does the same thing. And if she does, well, that might be the bigger issue overall.

You could even bring up Venmo with her. "Hey, have you heard of Venmo? We should both get the app and then we can easily pay each other for the stuff we buy right when we buy it." That would give her the hint that you want her to pay you back too.
I am going to mention it. It’d be waaaay easier to pay her back that way. I don’t mind paying her back but it’s be less of a hassle through an app I’m going to bring it up

Old 05-02-2018, 09:45 AM

12,123 posts, read 17,233,641 times
The idea of using an app like Venmo to ensure a debt like $10 gets paid just makes you look like a super cheap ass.

When we pick up lunch for each other at work, we on occasion spot each other, and the bill is around $10. The idea of somebody having you sign an app for a couple slices of pizza and a coke just makes you look super, super cheap not to mention, odd.

Most people in society don't really operate that way.

Also, keep in mind. In the day of plastic payment, almost NOBODY has cash on them these days. That's likely a reason why they haven't paid you. They forget, and when they remember, they don't have cash.

Last edited by jobaba; 05-02-2018 at 09:56 AM..

Old 05-02-2018, 09:58 AM

20,775 posts, read 20,178,474 times
Quote:
I don't have to many friends. I had a group of friends but a few years after hs we drifted apart and now we don't talk anymore. I am mostly a loner. I don't want to be but I have a hard time making friends even though I'm a social person. So I'm a loner but not by choice. Plus I'm in a new city, though I have been here for a while I still havent met a lot of new friends though I am dating and meeting people that way.

I met some girls at work (who are my age) and some of them go out on certain nights to party and drink or to do whatever. I have become kind of close with one girl. I guess we can call her Chloe lol. Chloe is really awesome and I enjoy hanging out with her, but one thing I have noticed is that she's super weird about money.

One night we went to a club. We had never been to this club before and we didn't know it was $10 to get in. I had my debit card, but did not have $10 in cash because they werent taking cards. Chloe paid for me and said I could pay her back later. I said I was fine with that and said thank you.

Well the next day, she was already mentioning me paying her back over text. I said I would, no problem and that I would get cash and give it to her as soon as I could (i normally dont have cash just my debit card). On our very next shift I had the $10 and meant to give it to her, but things got busy at work and I honestly forgot. I got off work and went home. That night she texted me and said, "Are you still going to pay me back the ten?". I said yes and gave it to her the next day. This happened over only two days. I just thought it was really weird. From the way she talks she isn't broke so I don't get what the rush was.

She's also really into splitting stuff- which is fine, I don't mind splitting but she wants it down to the very last penny lol. She came to my place for movie night and picked up snacks. She asked me what I wanted. She brought me the receipt for my poptarts and lemonade and pointed out what i owed her. I was like, okay lol.

Is this behavior normal. I used to have a group of friends and we used to get each other snacks, or sometimes pay for each other but it wasnt a huge deal. We would buy each other things and not add it up or *make* each other pay each other back. It was more of a "hey, thanks, I'll get you next time!" type of thing. I've bought small stuff for friends and havent really put that much thought into it. i'm not a rich person but i don't think I would ever in a million years give someone a receipt for $3 worth of stuff i bought for them. maybe I'm just from a small town but that seemed tacky kind of.

When she invites me out she also wants $5 for gas. Well, okay. Its just $5 and I don't mind but I don't think I'd ever charge a friend for gas unless it was a crazy long trip out of state or something.

Is she a bit weird about money or do I just not hang out with enough people?
These sorts of questions usually show up from people who never contribute or pay their share and then act (or really think) they are entitled to free rides/food/don't need to pay back and rely on others to be taken care of and then when they finally get asked to pay their part, they are shocked.

Pay your own stuff. Don't borrow money. She was nice to pay for you for the club - you should have had cash with you or paid her drinks in the club to balance out the $10. Then you didn't pay her back the money the next time you saw her even though she reminded you (which she should not have to) and then you are mad that she gets upset.

And I am guessing you drove with her several times before and never offered to pay for gas. Usually people take turns in driving - but you don't have a car. Why should she pay for your transportation so you can save money for the bus? She pays for the car, insurance, and gas so it is only fair, you pay her some gas money every now and then, which is still cheaper and more convenient for you than taking public transportation.

She is not asking you unreasonable things - she either has provided car/gas/food several times for you before without you paying her back or she just is not willing to even start going down that route. She isn't trying to get rich off you - she just wants you to pay your share and not use her for free stuff.

Maybe you have a reputation, I don't know. You are trying to get as much as you can out of the guy you dating, and maybe the word has spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships