Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 09:32 AM

1,347 posts, read 947,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFebruary View Post
^^^This!!!

I'm not anti-social, but if I'm going someplace regularly for a specific purpose that isn't to socialize (like going to the gym to work out), then being polite or friendly to someone for a few moments can backfire. I've been polite in response to people who said hello or wanted to make small talk before, and they then needed increasing amounts of time and attention whenever they saw me in the future. There's no way to tell who will be satisfied with a friendly hello everyday and who will start acting like a needy friend.It's safer to just not be friendly to anyone. Since I'm not going to the gym to socialize I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, and I'm not being rude since no one is entitled to my time and attention just because they're in the same place as me.
OMG, so much this, especially bolded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 10:11 AM

1,063 posts, read 698,263 times
Concerning the overall point of socialization today it is a side effect of technology.

Then again with social media I think people have realized how crazy other individuals can be and err on the side of caution when divulging too much personal information.

It also depends on the city and geo.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:19 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I am really shy at the gym, and feel very uncomfortable. Someone has to talk to me several times and initiate a few conversations before I will say hello first. I am not like this anywhere else in life. I am sure I am not the only one.
Yep, this is me. I go to the gym 4-5x per week at the same time and i see the same people there everyday. A lot of them say hello to each other but i don't say hello to anyone. it's hard enough being a girl and going into the weight area with a bunch of meathead guys, i don't want to make it more difficult by figuring out who i should say hello to and who i shouldn't and what i should say. Also b/c i'm shy i tend to assume people don't want me to talk to them, so i just don't. i assume people at the gym think i'm a huge weirdo, but i don't care, they don't even know me.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:33 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,535,040 times
Gotta say the responses have been enlightening. In the future I doubt I will acknowledge anyone at the gym.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:10 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Gotta say the responses have been enlightening. In the future I doubt I will acknowledge anyone at the gym.
Awww, don't get discouraged, OP. Just change gyms. You'll find your niche. The world needs more people like you.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:42 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,535,040 times
I actually think it’s a regional thing. Here in Texas I find most folks are generally friendly, albeit more reserved than where I lived most of my life - Baltimore. I think in general, Baltimore folks have “looser boundaries” and more willing to speak to anyone, anytime. That can be good or bad, depending on any number of factors. But I’m acclimating so, live and learn.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:25 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,510,887 times
Quote:
I actually think it’s a regional thing. Here in Texas I find most folks are generally friendly, albeit more reserved than where I lived most of my life - Baltimore. I think in general, Baltimore folks have “looser boundaries” and more willing to speak to anyone, anytime. That can be good or bad, depending on any number of factors. But I’m acclimating so, live and learn.
You know...I go to this one gym close to my house. I am a member of the social media app "myfittnesspal". They also have forums where people discuss their weight loss progress, workout programs etc. Anything diet and fittness related.
Well, I had an actual picture of myself on my profile and this one guy recognized me from the gym I go to. I denied it. He kept liking all my posts and commenting on them. He asked me if I went to this one gym and he were able to name the address and everything. I was like "****....I don't want him to know who I am"..lol
So I told him it wasn't me and that I went to another gym in my old neighborhood. He was like "ok.."
Then I deleted my profile pic.

But now when I go to the gym I feel like all these guys at the gym could potentially be him so I avoid eye contact with people if I can.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:32 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,510,887 times
Quote:
lol..aww...Be yourself!

Old 04-26-2018, 11:49 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,316,475 times
I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone go on a technology bashing tirade yet.

"Technology has made people anti-social! It's ruining everyone dammit!"

In reality, not everyone wants to be bothered with strangers. Notice the signs and move on.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:05 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,062,908 times
In broad strokes too I would caution against using the gym as a good case to examine social interaction. It's kind of an in-between space, not purely recreation, not purely social or work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships