Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 10:06 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,065,491 times

Advertisements

I am also in the "no chit chat at the gym" club. I go 1st thing in the AM and just want to get my hour in and done. I'm not purposely unfriendly, though, and I'll wave or just say hi to the other earlybird regulars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 10:14 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,398,912 times
People never run out of reasons not to talk with strangers face to face and never run out of reasons to talk to strangers behind a keyboard.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:22 PM

23,383 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I am also in the "no chit chat at the gym" club. I go 1st thing in the AM and just want to get my hour in and done. I'm not purposely unfriendly, though, and I'll wave or just say hi to the other earlybird regulars.
For many people at the gym it is their refuge, their escape from stresses and annoyances of the day. They are there to focus on themselves, detach the mind and work solely on the body. They may not want to deal with the same social obligations the rest of their life demands. When I am in the middle of a physical routine, a program, workout, a discipline, that's what I am focused on, not the other people in the room. Its kind of the point actually. If I'm working hard enough I hardly see anyone else let alone think about what they might want me to say or do for them!

Old 04-21-2018, 02:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,700,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No one goes to the gym for chit chat, they are hoping that if they pretend to not see you, you won't stop and start a conversation.

Smile, nod, say hi, and don't stop to chat. You can say hi with their name if you know their name. Other than that, leave people alone and keep moving.
There are plenty of boutique fitness places where people do go and build community. If the OP wants that, s/he should try one of those. I went to one place where they wanted people to go up and introduce yourself to someone (or four) you didn’t know before class or even during class. In terms of going on the gym and getting on an elliptical, that isn’t as sociable all the time... It really depends. I don’t really socialize with people when I am on the elliptical. I just get on and watch my TV show (I don’t have live TV at home) and do my own thing.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:48 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,418,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
There are plenty of boutique fitness places where people do go and build community. If the OP wants that, s/he should try one of those. I went to one place where they wanted people to go up and introduce yourself to someone (or four) you didn’t know before class or even during class. In terms of going on the gym and getting on an elliptical, that isn’t as sociable all the time... It really depends. I don’t really socialize with people when I am on the elliptical. I just get on and watch my TV show (I don’t have live TV at home) and do my own thing.
Yes - it's different if you're talking about a gym class where you may have a few minutes before or after to chat and you do see the same people in close quarters for each class.

Just in an open gym - doesn't really work that way. A nod is about the most I see people do unless it is an actual workout partner they are there with.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:28 PM

164 posts, read 119,745 times
Normal is subjective.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:05 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,319,820 times
When I'm at the gym.. I want to focus on my workout, not interested in talking to anyone that's why I have headphones on.

When I'm at school, I'm there to learn, not make friends with people I don't know. I have enough friends already.

Some people just aren't interested in interacting with you, it happens.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:47 AM

43 posts, read 27,911 times
I am on the road a lot. I attended several gyms across the country. Men tend to act tough, focused, etc. Women seem nicer, cordial but not necessarily open to conversation because I am a guy. I dont think greetings are not common place in the gym...because it's a gym. The only people that talk are old people. Oddly old men like to talk in the locker room. They can sit there all day talking, naked or not. Very weird!

Old 04-22-2018, 06:19 AM

6,624 posts, read 6,560,738 times
I think usually talkers will find other talkers.

At the gym they might talk more in the sauna or hot tub after their work outs, rather than while they are working out.

I don't find it strange to talk to strangers at all, but then I live in a fairly safe, small town. We smile and say hi to strangers and it is comfortable.

In a big city like Toronto, some people look at you like you are crazy if you say good morning to them. You can just see the discomfort while they stutter a "good morning" back to you.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:58 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,537,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
When I'm at the gym.. I want to focus on my workout, not interested in talking to anyone that's why I have headphones on.

When I'm at school, I'm there to learn, not make friends with people I don't know. I have enough friends already.

Some people just aren't interested in interacting with you, it happens.
As I said in my opening thread, I’m not looking to to socialize at the gym. I just find it odd the number of Folks I see there month after month who fail to even make eye contact and say hello in passing. But I think perhaps it is just an observation of how our society has changed in the last couple decades. Folks in general seemed more “reserved” for lack of a better word, than when I was younger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships