Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 12:55 PM

652 posts, read 343,961 times

Advertisements

Maybe some marriages can manage it, but can any other relationship, friend or family, survive if people are really honest about almost everything? I believe most people don’t want to be confronted with criticism, constructive or otherwise. I once told a neighbor who I was friendly with for years that his teen age son would never wave hello to us, or even acknowledge our presence even if we were in their yard. The only time he interacted with us was one time he forgot his house key and had to come to us for a spare. I was working in the backyard, so had to stop what I was doing, go in the house and get the key. He took the key, turned and walked away. A few days later the neighbor walks over to give me back the key. In the course of the conversation, I mentioned how his son acted. The guy says,” yea, he’s not big on thank you’s.” I said, quite honestly, he’s not big on hellos or any other respectful acknowledgment of his neighbors. Basically, the friendship ended there.

My point is I think most people don’t want others to be really honest with them. Maybe that is just human nature. I do know that the most satisfying relationships I have had in my life were with people I had an above average amount of honest give and take with. Obviously, I’m not talking about casual friendships or neighbors you hardly ever see. Just closer relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 01:07 PM

62,514 posts, read 88,597,252 times
The neighbourly friendship ended because you criticized the way they raised their son. Your "honesty" was perhaps a bit too direct.
There were maybe other ways to find out why their son behaves that way, or possibly dislikes you, without addressing it so boldly.
A little diplomacy goes a long way...

Last edited by elnina; 04-15-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-15-2018, 01:18 PM

8,925 posts, read 7,792,272 times
I don't think that says people don't like honesty.

It's about knowing your place and being respectful. You can be honest, but you have to accept the consequences that go with it. Some people won't like what you have to say and choose not to deal with you. That's life.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:41 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,150,335 times
My best friend and I are completely honest with each other. We have always relied on each other to be honest about everything even if the other one doesn't want to hear it.

When we were kids we even promised that when we got "old" we would never allow each other to get "old lady" haircuts or wear stinky perfume!

Old 04-15-2018, 02:08 PM

15,734 posts, read 15,917,594 times
I agree that most people don't want others to be totally honest.

I also think that many people who want to be totally honest use that as an excuse for being rude and mean.

Keep in mind that in your example, you're talking about a neighbor, not a bosom buddy, and few people enjoy having their kids criticized.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:29 PM

23,791 posts, read 19,679,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
In the course of the conversation, I mentioned how his son acted. The guy says,” yea, he’s not big on thank you’s.” I said, quite honestly, he’s not big on hellos or any other respectful acknowledgment of his neighbors. Basically, the friendship ended there.

My point is I think most people don’t want others to be really honest with them. Maybe that is just human nature. I do know that the most satisfying relationships I have had in my life were with people I had an above average amount of honest give and take with. Obviously, I’m not talking about casual friendships or neighbors you hardly ever see. Just closer relationships.
So did you consider this neighbor a "closer relationship" or a casual friendship? Unfortunately in addition to criticizing the son you also criticized his upbringing; the neighbor who was respectfully returning your key.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:31 PM

23,791 posts, read 19,679,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I don't think that says people don't like honesty.

It's about knowing your place and being respectful. You can be honest, but you have to accept the consequences that go with it. Some people won't like what you have to say and choose not to deal with you. That's life.
So much depends not on the message, but the delivery.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:58 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,640,577 times
Honesty does not mean you have to give voice to every negative thought that passes through your mind.

Old 04-15-2018, 03:05 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,716,778 times
Being a free speaker will get you more respect from your peers than remaining silent.
Don't change for anyone or anything. Be the way you are. I am

Old 04-15-2018, 03:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,431,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
Maybe some marriages can manage it, but can any other relationship, friend or family, survive if people are really honest about almost everything? I believe most people don’t want to be confronted with criticism, constructive or otherwise. I once told a neighbor who I was friendly with for years that his teen age son would never wave hello to us, or even acknowledge our presence even if we were in their yard. The only time he interacted with us was one time he forgot his house key and had to come to us for a spare. I was working in the backyard, so had to stop what I was doing, go in the house and get the key. He took the key, turned and walked away. A few days later the neighbor walks over to give me back the key. In the course of the conversation, I mentioned how his son acted. The guy says,” yea, he’s not big on thank you’s.” I said, quite honestly, he’s not big on hellos or any other respectful acknowledgment of his neighbors. Basically, the friendship ended there.

If you brutally criticize someone's kids, you will probably destroy a friendship. So, lesson learned, OK? That kid did you no harm; he is probably socially awkward, and your comments were hurtful.

But you are basically right. Do you enjoy it when someone is brutally frank with you? When they criticize you or a loved one in a no holds barred way? Surely you don't find it an enjoyable experience.

After 48 years of marriage, I can honestly say that I am not brutally frank with my DH, and I strongly suspect he is not so with me. I decide what it is important, and deal with that. Everything else is not important. I do make requests, and they are sort of like complaints. And I used to be much more critical. So, I have evolved. But no, people do not like frankness from friends. They might tolerate it from a loved one, from time time, perhaps in a moment when they realize that they have a problem. But mostly, no.

And, we don't want others to be brutally frank with us, either. It is hard enough to go out the door with a reasonable amount of confidence as it is. If people constantly told me how I really looked to them, I'd probably be angry and/or heartbroken.

Tact is something you have to learn how to use, especially if it was not modeled by your family. But, as someone who has stuck her foot in her mouth too often from being frank, I want to recommend you learn how to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships