Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,438,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
That’s fine, but don’t come over when you need something and expect me to drop everything to help you. So that is when the shoe was on the other foot. He certainly acknowledged me when he needed me. A simple ‘ thank you’ is just a matter of respect. Maybe in your life respect is not important. It is in mine.

Several posts have stated that parents don’t like to have their kids criticized. I agree. Maybe that’s why so many kids grow up unaware of basic social graces, and how to fit in and succeed in adult society. Nobody expects parents to like it, but the kids who grow up thinking they are never wrong, and that mommy and daddy will always take their side no matter what, those are the kids you see on the news all too often.
It is not your job to give input on another’s kid. Frankly, unless the kid is danger to himself, or she is damaging your property, you need to keep your opinions about behavior to yourself.

Your comment to your neighbor about her son was hurtful. I don’t know another more tactful way of saying this. But it is the honest truth. Your words were hurtful.

This is my honest reply to your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 02:36 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,423,023 times
Jack Nicholson's character in A Few Good Men:
"You can't handle the truth!"

Well, that's pretty much every one walking around on the planet.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:09 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,528,825 times
these are two separate threads here. First is the general question about being able to have a completely honest relationship. I am going to say no. 100% honest no. Maybe 98-99, 99.9 but 100% no way. Even in the best marriage you will find a bit of a white- not harmful- lie.

The example with the neighbor... unless you were really good friends them, who cares? why should you be offended by their kid? it's not your responsibility or problem. obviously they didn't do a good job teaching him manners when he was small. that won't be my concern.

I also would be careful offering criticism left and right. You might think criticism = sincerity but the way you tell it to someone might break a friendship or put a spouse down. so exercise caution.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:10 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,302,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It is not your job to give input on another’s kid. Frankly, unless the kid is danger to himself, or she is damaging your property, you need to keep your opinions about behavior to yourself.

Your comment to your neighbor about her son was hurtful. I don’t know another more tactful way of saying this. But it is the honest truth. Your words were hurtful.

This is my honest reply to your post.
It’s never anybody’s ‘job’ to comment about anyone, unless your in the media. We all do it anyway. Maybe more parents should be able to handle a little criticism about their kids once in awhile. Maybe if someone told Mrs. Dahmer her son Jeffrey was torturing small animals, and she needed to address his issues, people’s lives could have been saved. But none of you would want to criticize little Jeffrey, now would you?

Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 PM

8,925 posts, read 7,793,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
It’s never anybody’s ‘job’ to comment about anyone, unless your in the media. We all do it anyway. Maybe more parents should be able to handle a little criticism about their kids once in awhile. Maybe if someone told Mrs. Dahmer her son Jeffrey was torturing small animals, and she needed to address his issues, people’s lives could have been saved. But none of you would want to criticize little Jeffrey, now would you?
While I agree a lot of parents could be doing a better job raising their kids....

You're comparing apples to oranges in this situation...

This kid wasn't murdering animals or hurting anybody. He lacked "manners." Maybe people need to learn to choose their battles wisely.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:56 PM

14,882 posts, read 12,539,763 times
I heard a comedian once say "If women knew what men were actually thinking they would never stop slapping us."

That's probably true.

No, most people really don't want to know what you think most of the time.

Do you want to know what all of us think? Really?

Old 04-16-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I heard a comedian once say "If women knew what men were actually thinking they would never stop slapping us."

That's probably true.

No, most people really don't want to know what you think most of the time.

Do you want to know what all of us think? Really?
I care what some people think. Probably not you.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
While I agree a lot of parents could be doing a better job raising their kids....

You're comparing apples to oranges in this situation...

This kid wasn't murdering animals or hurting anybody. He lacked "manners." Maybe people need to learn to choose their battles wisely.
I don’t believe in backing down. Never did, never will.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:54 PM

14,882 posts, read 12,539,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I care what some people think. Probably not you.
Aw shucks.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:45 PM

23,795 posts, read 19,691,112 times
Sort of reminds me of a suggestion someone once gave me about deciding how to handle other people. Before you open your mouth, try to imagine what would be written on your tombstone/obituary/said about you after you are gone. Then adjust accordingly.

"Well, you know Bobby, he was always honest. Yeah, he was always a d*&k about it too."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships