Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:07 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,245,989 times

Advertisements

Send it to me and be done with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 07:35 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,102,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think that the ring now belongs to your mother and she can do whatever she wants with it.
Nailed it. /Thread.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:02 PM

11,138 posts, read 9,773,353 times
Why is the OP obtaining her own engagement ring??? That is supposed to be a gift from the groom-to-be to the bride-to-be. The cousin has no more rightful claim to the ring than the OP. Mom should either wear the ring on her own right hand or have it reset into something for herself. When mom passes away it goes to the OP or whomever mom chooses.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,950 times
Hopefully whoever gets it doesnt run out and sell it for the money then no one has the ring.This stuff causes infighting every day. Your mom given the ring and in turn it should be yours. If you both agree to give it to the cousin then that is also okey. Just keep it in the family and not in a pawn shop.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:16 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Have it appraised and see what she can get for it. If the cousin wants it she can buy the others out.

Or your mom can "lose" it and go on a vacation.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:49 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,315,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu00 View Post
My aunt was older. My aunt and grandmother lived together for a few years prior to them both going downhill---it was a disaster and they made terrible choices together. It was never really agreed upon who would keep it... when my mom had power of attorney, she just made all the decisions that would be best for my grandma. She had sold all of her nice jewelry, and the only thing left was her wedding ring and nice dishes (which my cousin got.)

My mom didn't take it because of my aunt's drug abuse... she took it because my aunt was unable to make decisions for herself and was easily influenced by members not in the family (she also sold all of her valuables as well---my cousin was very upset at this, as well as her buying an aid a car, that's when my cousin got POA) and she worried that my aunt would give it to an aid and we'd never see it again.

My cousin's biggest thing is that she got engaged first, so that is why she should have it.

To be fair, if my cousin really wanted it, fine... I'll be the bigger person and walk away... that's usually how things go in this family lol But then I know my cousins (sisters) would fight over it lol That's why I was curious what your thoughts were on who should get it and if there was some type of tradition I could go off on since it was never directly stated who would get it.

The oldest granddaughter should get it, if your mother doesn't want it.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:26 PM

204 posts, read 292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
The oldest granddaughter should get it, if your mother doesn't want it.

I went and had it appraised this weekend, and to my surprise it was worth a lot more than I expected (around $17k) which is INSANE. I decided that I don't want the ring... I wouldn't use the diamond (my boyfriend wants to buy one for my engagement ring.) I'm going to use the small stones from the wedding band and turn them into a necklace, but my brother will get the engagement ring. My mother will hold on to it for now until my brother wants it. My mom thinks this is fair, and I'm happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships