Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,504,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
They often comment that they like to be in lively places full of young people. I personally think they fear old age and the fact that they are getting old, but who knows!
Some people never get old. Their minds are sharp and they stay active. Age shouldn't stop people from doing what they love. It's sad that some younger people view it negatively. One day you'll be older. Do you really think you should stop doing things you love just because of how many birthdays you've had? Acting old makes you old.

My husband's aunt and uncle went dancing well into their late 80s. People probably didn't think anything of it because they were doing "old people" dancing. It might have been ballroom, I can't remember. Who knows, maybe it was swing. Newer generations of older people grew up dancing similar to how people dance today. If the only place to go dancing is where the young people are, why should they stop dancing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 11:48 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,898,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Some people never get old. Their minds are sharp and they stay active. Age shouldn't stop people from doing what they love. It's sad that some younger people view it negatively. One day you'll be older. Do you really think you should stop doing things you love just because of how many birthdays you've had? Acting old makes you old.

My husband's aunt and uncle went dancing well into their late 80s. People probably didn't think anything of it because they were doing "old people" dancing. It might have been ballroom, I can't remember. Who knows, maybe it was swing. Newer generations of older people grew up dancing similar to how people dance today. If the only place to go dancing is where the young people are, why should they stop dancing?

Of course, none of the under 30s around here will ever be 20 years older than they are today so I am not sure how this is relevant.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,504,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Of course, none of the under 30s around here will ever be 20 years older than they are today so I am not sure how this is relevant.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:15 PM

4,862 posts, read 8,006,693 times
Life is about living within limits of responsibility. If the kids are being cared for who is anyone to make any sort of judgment? Now the next question. At what age do individuals die? Life is to be lived.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:36 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,471,813 times
Ugh... some of the judgmental comments in this thread. Sheeesh.

People do not cease to become individuals when they have kids. If your child(ren) are with a safe, responsible babysitter while you are out (doing whatever it is you do, be it clubbing, having dinner, seeing a movie, taking a class) what is the big deal?

I think that parents need to assess the amount of time they are able to spend with their kids and be sure their kids are getting enough time with them, absolutely.

But... I will say this... when a parent (this is more true when you are single than when you are married, as I've done it both ways) is going through a tough time and needs the mental break that getting out of the house and away for awhile will provide, it makes much more sense to find a sitter and go out than it does to stay home and build up resentment toward your kids.

My mom was a single parent for part of the time when I was growing up and I WISH she'd gone out more often.

I was a single mom some of the time with mine and I recall my eldest being a year and a half old and my mom, my brother and SIL, my dad, and my aunt all FOUGHT to spend time with that kid on weekends. I had him all week, was a full-time student, worked part-time, and my weekends were almost always just mine. My son loved the attention and I loved the time off. Putting a toddler to bed every night with baths, storytime, all that goes with mothering (which I loved) and THEN doing homework for full-time college classes made for an exhausting week most of the time.

That weekend time was great. I went out with friends, I went dancing... I dated some... I really didn't drink more than 1 or 2 drinks in any evening... I've never been one who felt comfortable with getting really drunk anyway.

I can tell you that it made things better in my house, me having some time to get out and be a young woman first and a mom second for awhile.

I think that one of the biggest failings in society today are the people who martyr themselves for their kids. They'll be the same ones in 20 years who guilt trip their adult children at every opportunity and remind them how they sacrificed everything for their kids.

Guess what? I will never say that to any of mine, because I know that if I'm happy and fulfilled, I am better able to create a stable, loving environment where my kids are also happy and fulfilled.

Yanno what else? I don't do PTA, either. I do, however, have an advanced degree (and I'm working on another) and my kids are older now (and I'm married)... so, I really don't go out much anymore... I mean, now and then, but it's a rarity. If I was into going out? I would.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,396,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they're single parents, then how can they work all day and then leave their kids to babysitters for even more time to go partying? They should be home with their children.
Yes, it's very important to sit by your child's bed and watch them sleep.
If you don't watch them sleep you're a bad parent.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:56 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,251,354 times
There are far more irresponsible parents...the ones who physically and verbally abuse their children; the ones who let very young children that can't swim yet run around in the back by the pool without ever checking on them and then there is a drowning or near drowning incident.

To me personally, three times a week seems a lot, but I won't harshly judge it. One time a week is not that big a deal at all.

This would not make the top 5 list and not even likely the top 10 list to be concerned about in a parent. So long as the babysitter is reliable. As other posters mentioned, parents also go out for other activities, so curious clubbing would be singled out.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:00 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,815,607 times
i think if you got a husband you had better be at home with him. i think if you are divorced you got til they are 18 to dirty dance. until then you owe it to the kids and the poor devil who is paying you child support/alimony to be a good mother and stay at home.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-22-2014 at 04:04 PM..

Old 02-22-2014, 03:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,396,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think if you got a husband you had better be at home with him. i think if you are divorced you got til they are 18 to dirty dance. until then you owe it to the kids and the poor devil who is paying you alimony to be a good mother and stay at home.
Alimony?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:39 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,102,518 times
I have a good friend who is in a loveless marriage. She was recently willed a home in FL, and escapes as often as she can, leaving her 4 children with her not-so-D-H. I completely understand why she does what she does, but I still cringe when she posts pictures on Facebook, inside a club, with other men.

It doesn't bother me that she is going clubbing. I do think she needs to be cognizant of how these pictures might be perceived by her pre-teens and young teens.

It isn't the venue, it's what you choose to do while inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships