Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,888,864 times

Advertisements

Can you relate to the youngsters in those car commercials who think their parents are fuddy-duddies but are in fact out enjoying themselves while their kids eat TV dinners or play around or Facebook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 12:03 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,879,521 times
OK, my folks are gone now, but mom just passed in January and I can say with a lot of conviction that she at least was not hipper than me. In fact, she was the original L7 square and though she was only 76 when she died, she would watch Lawrence Welk instead of Elvis and the only time she would listen to hip music was if it got turned into elevator music first. She did do a lot of traveling though, which was cool, but then so have I.

My kids think I'm square b/c I like folk music so much, but folk is in, these days. When it goes back out I will still listen to it and then I'll be square again lol.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:50 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,955,218 times
I think for a time in the late 90s, my dad had more contemporary music tastes than mine because he bought pretty much every popular rap metal album like Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock and Papa Roach while I hated that music. That's about the closest my father got to being cooler than me. Now he probably can't name a single popular act while I listen to a lot of the popular young acts like Fun, Grouplove, Crystal Castles, Skrillex and Chappo. The only time my mom and hip have been used in the same sentence in the past 20 years was when her doctor told her she had osteoporosis. Otherwise the only time she talks about new music she likes is when an old band from the 80s or before has something new or she hears a singer she likes on American Idol/X-Factor/The Voice.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 PM

33,069 posts, read 36,736,473 times
When my mother was in her prime, she was far more hip than I could ever hope to be. She always sported the latest hairstyle, popular fashion trend. She learned how to prepare the trendy new foods, dishes. She was all over everything.

When she started to slow down, I made a point of keeping her up to date. I set her up with a computer, forced her to listen to popular music, made her eat sushi and took her shopping. She complained, but she really loved it.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:40 PM

42,083 posts, read 75,619,855 times
My dad was. A pocket protector-wearing mechanical engineer, he played slow-pitch softball and bowled ... and played tennis in perfect private tennis club whites. He liked Hank Williams ... and Chopin and the Rolling Stones and Dave Brubeck and Ani DiFranco. He drove sensible Fords ... but always wanted a classy sports car. He'd try anything once.

Mom ... nope. LOL Her idea of being hip is buying a new pair of purple sneakers to wear to her Red Hat Lady lunches.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,363,045 times
I think your mom sounds pretty neat!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:58 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,308,961 times
My dad was, when he was my age. He likes to talk about how many girlfriends he had and how many girls were chasing it. He seemed quite popular, and played in a rock band lol. I, on the other hand, have yet to even have my FIRST girlfriend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships