Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 09:02 PM

82 posts, read 313,837 times

Advertisements

Is this normal or a sign of immaturity on my part? I left home at 18 and moved halfway across the country, so I only see them maybe once a year at most, or once every couple of years - but when I'm around them, they embarrass the hell out of me. And I don't mean in the intentional way that parents do. I mean I'm embarrassed of them as people.

They are from a very small town in the Midwest, and it shows. I'm not exactly super high class pretentious city girl, but that was always something that embarrassed me about them. My dad, for instance, has the table manners of someone who was born in a barn. He carries a handkerchief and will repeatedly blow his nose at the table... and by blow his nose, I mean blow his nose and dig around in there for a good minute or so each time. IN THE MIDDLE OF A RESTAURANT. People stare, I lose my appetite... it's just disgusting. He also belches constantly due to legit stomach issues but makes absolutely no effort to minimize the sound. It's LOUD, and frequent. I mean we were in a tour group yesterday all crammed in a small room and he was still doing it. Mortifying.

My mother for some reason thinks she is better than everyone and is completely rude and dismissive of customer service people and waiters/waitresses. She will talk down to them, or ignore them, and god forbid a thank you come out of that woman's mouth. I actually have to thank people FOR HER.

I could go on and on but those are the two main things that came up this time.

I figured I would outgrow this at some point but nope, I'm in my 30's and still embarrassed to introduce them to people. The last guy I dated didn't meet them until about five years in (when things were already going downhill), and the guy I'm dating now was luckily out of town during this year's visit. I really try to be mature and not let that stuff bother me, but it just does. I told my boyfriend, you can meet them... at our wedding. We aren't anywhere near even being engaged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 PM

728 posts, read 1,898,904 times
Do your parents know you feel this way? Maybe they are clueless to their obnoxious behavior?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:20 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,433,402 times
Life is too short to worry about it anymore. Most likely you won't change them. Move on. Avoid rather than contend.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:08 PM

82 posts, read 313,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Do your parents know you feel this way? Maybe they are clueless to their obnoxious behavior?
I've never said anything. They aren't the type of people that you criticize and something like that would NOT go over well at all.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I don't think it's immaturity on your part. Based on your description, I'd be embarrassed to dine with them and I don't even know them.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,739 times
I am 58 and I am ashamed of mine. Yours don't sound like a pick nick either.

Lighten up and move on.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 PM

8 posts, read 51,593 times
Yea, don't try to change them, that won't work anyway. Try to accept it and move on.

I'm also ashamed of my parents. My father is socially absolutely awkward and has an embarrassing humor and my mother thinks she's better than everyone else, she's full of prejudices and behaves like an absolutely crazy person sometimes, being unfriendly to people who are nice to her. I hate it as well, but I realized they will never change.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Have you considered just declining any public outings with them?

Old 09-02-2013, 01:16 AM

67 posts, read 208,781 times
my mom use to say " Dont judge an Indian till you have walked a mile in his moccasins". I guess they are from a rural area or they just dont get how their mannerisms effect you. maybe you could suggest the polite the proper way to behave in public or make it a point to thank the waiter in front of them. Are you 100 % sure you are not being over sensitive about them? Meaning are you sure this is really what is bugging you or is it something else? Just wondering..

Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,990,141 times
Hmm, I thought that your parents beat you and locked you in the basement before reading your thread.

I think you are just a person that places importance on social status and appearances. If either one of my parents provided me with food shelter and unconditional love....I would not care if they belch, pick their noses or what ever.

You should not be ashamed. Tell your significant other from the very beginning that your parents are eccentric, hysterically funny, REAL people.

My grandfather, (may he rest in PEACE) was a weekend drunk. I loved him and miss that man every day since he died in 2001. I didn't care that he would get wasted, because I knew that he was a good person with an addiction. He even showed up at one of my high school performances high as a kite. Was I embarrassed? Not really. He made me laugh. My mother was all stressed out, saying "He wasn't drunk when I picked him up." He loved me unconditionally, and I didn't care if he was a sloppy drunk. He was there for me. When I cut my hand and required stitches. He showed up and took me to the emergency room. When I was going through my rebellious teen years, he didn't judge me. My grandfather always had my back.

When he died, I spoke at his funeral. I described that unconditional love and how he filled a void in my heart. He taught me how to love.

I know it sounds strange, but no one is perfect. Please, don't be ashamed of your parents. What they project to the outside world is real. People that want you to pass the Grey Poupon with their noses up in the air only act like they are so sophisticated. They are just wearing a mask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships