Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 05:52 PM

867 posts, read 1,588,512 times

Advertisements

I work with 4 ladies, and we each have our own cubicles.

These ladies are nice and friendly and I really have no complaints except 1.
2 of these ladies are young women with kids. One is 33 with 2 kids and the other is 42 with 2 kids.

All they talk about are their kids. It's so boring to me. I don't have any kids but I do like kids so occassionally I'm fine with listening.

My real problem comes with how much take they take off and "work from home". I know they can't be working as hard at home on their jobs as they are on their kids.

I don't want to get into a discussion about mom's working from home becuase my real problem is I don't want this to bother me but it does.

I wish I didn't care, but I do. When I get an email from one saying I'm working from home because my daughter is sick, I'm thinking, how much work are you going to get done with a sick kid?

I feel like our department has turned into a hen house spa.

Now these are nice, friendly ladies who have good hearts, so I WANT to like them, but I just get irked.

Please don't tell me to not let it bother me because if it were that easy, I would do that.

I just feel like it's so unfair that they get away with this and I have to be at the office every day all day working.

And yes, I am happy to have a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 06:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
In this and all situations, focus on YOUR job and stop speculating about others' jobs.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:10 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,729,541 times
It's not as easy to work from home as many people think. Yes, you have the luxury of being in your pajamas or sweats or shorts or whatever you're comfortable in and you can eat when you want and have the TV on if you want. But, as many people forget, you're still working! When you have kids at home, especially if they're sick, it's twice as hard.

When my daughter was a baby/toddler, I worked from home for the attorney I previously worked for as well as a couple of others. It was NOT the walk in the park everyone assumed it was and people would think that because I was working from home, I could just drop what I was doing to BS on the phone or hang out or whatever. Well, I couldn't. I was working and had work to get done as well as phone calls to be made (at her nap times), etc. I was working 9 to 5 just as though I was in the office. The only difference was that I got to shower in the morning and put on clean PJs and slippers rather than my business suit and shoes and I was able to have the television on for background noise and I could eat lunch with my daughter.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Do they complete their job? Maybe when working at home they may work earlier and later, you have no idea. As long as they are getting the job done you need to let it go.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Do they complete their job? Maybe when working at home they may work earlier and later, you have no idea. As long as they are getting the job done you need to let it go.

We work in a department that is project oriented. We each have a certain amount of accounts. I've noticed that the "moms" can't take on certain types of accounts b/c it will run into their family time.

To answer your question, right now she doesn't have a lot of accounts but unless she brings everything home with her, there's no way she can complete them.

I'm just so sick of working with people who don't pull their weight. Being that I don't have kids and can work late and on weekends, the company seems to take advantage of it.

I don't mind working mom's, I just don't want to have them in my department b/c it affects the amount of work I am given.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
It's not as easy to work from home as many people think. Yes, you have the luxury of being in your pajamas or sweats or shorts or whatever you're comfortable in and you can eat when you want and have the TV on if you want. But, as many people forget, you're still working! When you have kids at home, especially if they're sick, it's twice as hard.

When my daughter was a baby/toddler, I worked from home for the attorney I previously worked for as well as a couple of others. It was NOT the walk in the park everyone assumed it was and people would think that because I was working from home, I could just drop what I was doing to BS on the phone or hang out or whatever. Well, I couldn't. I was working and had work to get done as well as phone calls to be made (at her nap times), etc. I was working 9 to 5 just as though I was in the office. The only difference was that I got to shower in the morning and put on clean PJs and slippers rather than my business suit and shoes and I was able to have the television on for background noise and I could eat lunch with my daughter.
I know what you are saying but it sounds like you have the type of job that can be done at home. You probably don't inconvenience the other people at the office with stuff.

Let me ask you, do you ever feel like people at your office are jealous or envious of your situation?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:02 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I work with 4 ladies, and we each have our own cubicles.

These ladies are nice and friendly and I really have no complaints except 1.
2 of these ladies are young women with kids. One is 33 with 2 kids and the other is 42 with 2 kids.

All they talk about are their kids. It's so boring to me. I don't have any kids but I do like kids so occassionally I'm fine with listening.

My real problem comes with how much take they take off and "work from home". I know they can't be working as hard at home on their jobs as they are on their kids.

I don't want to get into a discussion about mom's working from home becuase my real problem is I don't want this to bother me but it does.

I wish I didn't care, but I do. When I get an email from one saying I'm working from home because my daughter is sick, I'm thinking, how much work are you going to get done with a sick kid?

I feel like our department has turned into a hen house spa.

Now these are nice, friendly ladies who have good hearts, so I WANT to like them, but I just get irked.

Please don't tell me to not let it bother me because if it were that easy, I would do that.

I just feel like it's so unfair that they get away with this and I have to be at the office every day all day working.

And yes, I am happy to have a job.
I don't think it's fair that they're allowed to work from home and you're not if you're all doing the same job.

My job has just started allowing us to work from home one day a week if we want to, but I don't think I'm going to because I can't really get into work mode at home and don't think I'd be productive.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
We work in a department that is project oriented. We each have a certain amount of accounts. I've noticed that the "moms" can't take on certain types of accounts b/c it will run into their family time.

To answer your question, right now she doesn't have a lot of accounts but unless she brings everything home with her, there's no way she can complete them.

I'm just so sick of working with people who don't pull their weight. Being that I don't have kids and can work late and on weekends, the company seems to take advantage of it.

I don't mind working mom's, I just don't want to have them in my department b/c it affects the amount of work I am given.

So find another job or work from home yourself.
You are not paid to be paying attention to someone else, you are paid to do your job.

If you don't want to work weekends or holidays then tell the company you don't want to.
You can only be taken advantage of if you allow it.

I am guessing it is not your choice as to who is in "your department" and who isn't and I'm glad to see you are giving your permission for Mom's to work since you "don't mind working Mom's".

You could go to a different department as well.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
if you aren't being asked to pick up any extra work, then i assume they are getting their fair share done. if they aren't, it is up to your supervisor to deal with. someday it may be you who needs to work from home so you should be glad your work place is flexible like that.

eta i read further and see that maybe you are being given extra work. just say no. everyone needs some time off.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:27 PM

723 posts, read 868,921 times
on the plus side... you get the luxury of not having kids. They're stuck with them, you're free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships