Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:33 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,409,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
These ladies children come first, which is totally expected, but then they expect to make the same amout of money as me except that I work more and I work harder. I know when these ladies are home they are only working 50% of the time. And how can someone work with a sick kid?
This is a job problem, not a relationship problem.

Most sick kids are not underfoot constantly. Depending upon why they are sick, they maybe sleeping or watching TV. My kids were actually quieter and less demanding when they were sick. They would venture out of their rooms or off the couch for an occasional drink or food.

My spouse has worked from home for decades, literally. I've worked from home about 3 years. When one is not interrupted by co-workers, etc. one can focus and get quite a bit done. I had a job about 4 years ago that required I go into the office a few times a week. I can guarantee I got a lot less work done on those days than on the days I could stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:56 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,253,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
These ladies children come first, which is totally expected, but then they expect to make the same amout of money as me except that I work more and I work harder. I know when these ladies are home they are only working 50% of the time. And how can someone work with a sick kid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
There is nothing you can do about it but complain to your boss. The plus side is you'll get a promotion faster and you don't have to deal with kids.

Actually you can get a lot done while home with a sick child, depending on the child's personality and the nature of the illness.

Just remember all this in case you are on the other side one day. Heh.
There can be a big. big difference between taking care of a sick toddler, who is crying and needs constant attention and an older child. In those cases I suspect that the person working at home gets up early and works late (perhaps after her husband is home to care for the sick child). Or calls in sick so they do not have work responsibilities for that day. An elementary age child or tween with a bad cold & fever probably is just sleeping or watching TV all day so a Mom/Dad could get a lot of work done at home.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-17-2014 at 06:49 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 06:29 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,369,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In this and all situations, focus on YOUR job and stop speculating about others' jobs.
lol

Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,066,366 times
I know how you feel. I don't have kids either...it's like another world, being around people with kids, isn't it? And the ones who talk non stop about their kids...I don't think they ever stop (I have coworkers with 20-something year old kids who will divert every conversation to being about their kids).

I have at least 1 coworker who takes a ton of time off, or works from home a lot, due to her kids. We all get rather annoyed, because we know she's not really working when she's working from home. A lot of us have had to pull extra weight because of her, and I'm not sure how she's still here.

We have had others, but none quite as bad as her. All I can say is hang in there, and give it your best. At the end of the day, if you are a hard worker you will be rewarded (raise, promotion maybe?).

Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,088,666 times
Aside from hearing the nonstop "kiddie-based" conversations; it's very discouraging that a supervisor would tolerate employees spending the better part of the working day chatting.

Back in '68 when I started working in an office, it was expected that we 'work', not socialize. To socialize we could go out to lunch or meet after work. Other than a friendly, "Good Morning", etc, we earned our paychecks. If one made the choice to slack off, they were off the payroll in no time.

Over the many decades since, the office environment has evolved into a social arena; and the bosses have evolved into spineless wimps who are more interested in having employees place them on a pedestal than being a real boss.

Point being: anyone who is tired of chatty coworkers - unless management is going to step in and do something about it, has the options to learn to de-sensitize oneself to the ongoing disruptive talking, or seek employment elsewhere. Just remember, there are no guarantees the next position will be any better. . . today's working world is, again, more about socializing than being productive.

It would bother me just as much as it bothers the OP.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,831,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
There can be a big. big difference between taking care of a sick toddler, who is crying and needs constant attention and an older child. In those cases I suspect that the person working at home gets up early and works late (perhaps after her husband is home to care for the sick child). Or calls in sick so they do not have work responsibilities for that day. An elementary age child or tween with a bad cold & fever probably is just sleeping or watching TV all day so a Mom/Dad could get a lot of work done at home.
Yeah, that happens a lot. You do what you have to do but it just may be at 1 in the morning. LOL

Anyway, I don't really see this as a problem of working moms per se. Lots of people still manage to meet deadlines, etc. working around sick kids, dr appointments, whatever. It's really about the particular people involved.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,253,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I know how you feel. I don't have kids either...it's like another world, being around people with kids, isn't it? And the ones who talk non stop about their kids...I don't think they ever stop (I have coworkers with 20-something year old kids who will divert every conversation to being about their kids).

I have at least 1 coworker who takes a ton of time off, or works from home a lot, due to her kids. We all get rather annoyed, because we know she's not really working when she's working from home. A lot of us have had to pull extra weight because of her, and I'm not sure how she's still here.

We have had others, but none quite as bad as her. All I can say is hang in there, and give it your best. At the end of the day, if you are a hard worker you will be rewarded (raise, promotion maybe?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Aside from hearing the nonstop "kiddie-based" conversations; it's very discouraging that a supervisor would tolerate employees spending the better part of the working day chatting.

Back in '68 when I started working in an office, it was expected that we 'work', not socialize. To socialize we could go out to lunch or meet after work. Other than a friendly, "Good Morning", etc, we earned our paychecks. If one made the choice to slack off, they were off the payroll in no time.

Over the many decades since, the office environment has evolved into a social arena; and the bosses have evolved into spineless wimps who are more interested in having employees place them on a pedestal than being a real boss.

Point being: anyone who is tired of chatty coworkers - unless management is going to step in and do something about it, has the options to learn to de-sensitize oneself to the ongoing disruptive talking, or seek employment elsewhere. Just remember, there are no guarantees the next position will be any better. . . today's working world is, again, more about socializing than being productive.

It would bother me just as much as it bothers the OP.
I would like to point out that parents are not the only people who chat at work. In my office, it is just the opposite. Everyone around me is young and single, and talk incessantly about fantasy football, guns, going out to bars, etc. Do you think I want to listen to that any more than they want to hear about my kids? Sometimes I can't hear myself think because the people around me won't shut up! None of them are parents. I'm the only parent, and I keep my head down and get my work done because I never know when the next snow day or sick day is coming. It is "discouraging" to me to be asked to pick up extra work while I listen to the young singles chat about stupid crap.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post

I was taking off some time for my daughter's college graduation last year and one of the younger women I was working with looked surprised and said, "I didn't know you had a daughter." I sort of took that as "Gee, I figured you were a fifty-something total loser who never married or had children" but maybe it's just a good sign that I don't talk about my kid at work all the time!

Old 02-17-2014, 09:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
We don't know enough about the situation so much of this thread is speculation.

Here are some questions to the OP:

1. What is the pay structure? Do you know whether or not these women are paid the same amount as you are? Are you and the others paid based on the amount of work completed or by the number of accounts you're managing successfully? Are there any bonuses based on performance? Do the women in question have more seniority than you?

2. Are you given the same opportunity to work from home? Do you ever take advantage of this opportunity? Why or why not?

3. Are you expected or asked to work more hours than they are, or to take on more difficult projects because they opt to work from home occasionally? If so, are you compensated for this? Are you paid overtime? Do you receive bonuses for more difficult projects? Are bonuses or extra pay or promotions more available to you because you are in the office more?

You should not be expected to pick up anyone's slack - unless there's something more in it for you. If that's the case, then quit complaining - or choose to work from home yourself.

That being said, if you are not allowed to work from home, and are expected to work harder and longer with no additional compensation, then I'd say you have a legitimate gripe and you should talk with your supervisor about it. But if your only gripe is that you can't imagine that they're working as hard as you are because they're working from home and you're not - well, frankly, that's not your call. I am assuming that they are accountable for the quantity and quality of their work whether it's done from home or in the office - am I correct? If they're not getting their work done well and on time, then their supervisor will address that with them. What I would NOT do is complete any of their work for them - unless I was paid more to do so. The only way this becomes your business is if you're truly negatively impacted by them working at home.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:55 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,391,222 times
Doesn't sound fair to me. Sounds like the pits really. Sometimes ya can't do your job well if the other teamembers aren't doing their jobs. I hate that.

Maybe you can put up a spreadsheet of your projects and chart them as you progress. VISIBLY... so the BOSS can't miss it. Keep a scorecard of your successes and be thankful that the work you do will take you places. Keep records for resumes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships