Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:05 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,503,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
We work in a department that is project oriented. We each have a certain amount of accounts. I've noticed that the "moms" can't take on certain types of accounts b/c it will run into their family time.

To answer your question, right now she doesn't have a lot of accounts but unless she brings everything home with her, there's no way she can complete them.

I'm just so sick of working with people who don't pull their weight. Being that I don't have kids and can work late and on weekends, the company seems to take advantage of it.

I don't mind working mom's, I just don't want to have them in my department b/c it affects the amount of work I am given.
If they're taking advantage, you may need to being more firm in setting up your boundaries. It is NOT fair for a childless employee to be given more work as someone in the same position who has kids. It's not like you're being paid more.

I would start being "unavailable" to work late hours and on weekends, past what the moms normally do. If they pack up and leave at 4:30, and it's acceptable, that's when you should go too. I would not be available on weekends, if that's not something everyone in your department typically does. I would simply not answer calls from work, and show up on Monday. If someone asks you to work, you can say, "So sorry, I'm unavailable this weekend."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 03:22 PM

356 posts, read 1,269,767 times
Quote:
I work with 4 ladies, and we each have our own cubicles.

My real problem comes with how much take they take off and "work from home". I know they can't be working as hard at home on their jobs as they are on their kids.

I don't want to get into a discussion about mom's working from home because my real problem is I don't want this to bother me but it does.

I wish I didn't care, but I do. When I get an email from one saying I'm working from home because my daughter is sick, I'm thinking, how much work are you going to get done with a sick kid?

Take solace that you work in an office where if you needed to you too could work from home. Its nice that they give the option when needed. Cause I cant tell you having 2 full time responsibilities (work and kids) is quite a challenge.

I work from home full time and I have my 2 kids here from 3-7 while im working and I am just as productive during those hrs as I am before they get home, its just harder for me during those hrs.. but with me being home I can attend to my kids for a few minutes here and there.. maybe a meal then go back to work etc..its a blessing..and you may need the flex one day too.

Maybe you can fake sick and work from home too occasionally.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,254,473 times
if you are picking up their slack, then make in known,

this use to happen to me when younger, and i put in the extra effort without complaining thinking im creating some positive karma,

women are nesters and cargivers ro children,,,family comes first..
here's the upside- you now have women surrounding you, that if you have a time of need, they will go out of their way to help you, because you've done it for them..

live and learn from these hens,,,someday you will be a mom,,,and wished you wrote half of this stuff down

Old 02-16-2014, 03:38 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
Quote:
These ladies children come first, which is totally expected, but then they expect to make the same amout of money as me except that I work more and I work harder. I know when these ladies are home they are only working 50% of the time. And how can someone work with a sick kid?
I don't know what your work load is like and I don't know if they pull their weight or not. I can tell you that my school age kids are pretty low maintenance when they're sick. They lay on the couch and watch TV or play video games. It would be easy to get work done.

I can also tell you that, as a working mom, I make excellent use of my time at work. Among my coworkers, I am the best at getting my work load done in the least time possible. I do every bit as much work as everyone else, and frequently pick up the slack of others. When I do take time off, I often make it up on my day off. You don't know that they only work half the time they are home, and you don't know that they don't make up for it somewhere else.

You can leave if you want but be careful what you wish for. If you are ever a parent, or are sick yourself, or have to take care of a sick or elderly parent, you will want a boss who is flexible like your current one seems to be.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:04 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
There is nothing you can do about it but complain to your boss. The plus side is you'll get a promotion faster and you don't have to deal with kids.

Actually you can get a lot done while home with a sick child, depending on the child's personality and the nature of the illness.

Just remember all this in case you are on the other side one day. Heh.
That's what I was going to say.

In many cases--not all, but often--working moms don't move ahead as fast as their childfree counterparts. Working at home wasn't an option when my daughter was little (it was just at the beginning of people having computers on their desks and there was no remote access available) so when she was sick, I had to take a vacation day. I didn't move up much during her young childhood. Now that she's grown, I have.

I've looked around at the women in my department who have higher-level management positions. Every one of us either has no children or has just one child. Sometimes there are exceptions, but by and large, that's how it works out.

Use the fact that you are there every day to your advantage. You have a jump on the women who have to take days off.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I don't know what your work load is like and I don't know if they pull their weight or not. I can tell you that my school age kids are pretty low maintenance when they're sick. They lay on the couch and watch TV or play video games. It would be easy to get work done.

I can also tell you that, as a working mom, I make excellent use of my time at work. Among my coworkers, I am the best at getting my work load done in the least time possible. I do every bit as much work as everyone else, and frequently pick up the slack of others. When I do take time off, I often make it up on my day off. You don't know that they only work half the time they are home, and you don't know that they don't make up for it somewhere else.

You can leave if you want but be careful what you wish for. If you are ever a parent, or are sick yourself, or have to take care of a sick or elderly parent, you will want a boss who is flexible like your current one seems to be.
Rep to this.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,489,532 times
Quote:

Please don't tell me to not let it bother me because if it were that easy, I would do that.

I just feel like it's so unfair that they get away with this and I have to be at the office every day all day working.

And yes, I am happy to have a job.
Tell yourself that raising kids is work (because it is) and that you have it easy because when you get home you don't have to work when you get there.

[and that life is not fair anyway]

Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,774,945 times
I agree and I plan to have 3 kids. I do not want special treatment at my job because I'm a mom. Just like I don't want special treatment anywhere else. I'm a mom at home. A nurse at the hospital. Basically just do the best you can with where you are at without half "doing" it.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM

313 posts, read 497,422 times
People with children will be granted special privileges that us without children will never be able to have. It's simply the way our working society has transformed. I have experience the same frustrations as you do in my work environments, with the people with children (even one coworker's mother took care of her kids full time and she'd still call our of work for weeks at a time because her "kids were sick") In some peoples case, it's real, they have to be home with their children, but I truly do believe that for some mothers it is a way to get out of the working world. This was absolutely the case for my mother, and she admits it.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:40 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,764,136 times
I have been on both sides of the equation and understand you resentment. This isn't something you can control. Just do your job, and let it go. I know it won't be easy, but you will be happier!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships