Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,223,281 times

Advertisements

Plug some skull candys in your ear holes and rock out while you work!! Pizz on those wenches! If they think you have more important stuff messing with your gray matter then they'll leave you alone. Don't let them ruin a good gig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 01:16 AM

1,427 posts, read 1,392,746 times
You don't know how much they are making. Probably, your boss knows who works a lot and who barely meets the target.
Don't be envious.
Find an excuse to work form home, too. Enjoy dragging yourself to your home computer while you can do something more pleasant.
And it's not your business at all what they ate talking about. Maybe they are bored to death with your favorite topics.
I hate endless talk about children. I have 2 of them.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:06 AM

12,063 posts, read 10,326,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygirl15 View Post
I work with 4 ladies, and we each have our own cubicles.

These ladies are nice and friendly and I really have no complaints except 1.
2 of these ladies are young women with kids. One is 33 with 2 kids and the other is 42 with 2 kids.

All they talk about are their kids. It's so boring to me. I don't have any kids but I do like kids so occassionally I'm fine with listening.

My real problem comes with how much take they take off and "work from home". I know they can't be working as hard at home on their jobs as they are on their kids.

I don't want to get into a discussion about mom's working from home becuase my real problem is I don't want this to bother me but it does.

I wish I didn't care, but I do. When I get an email from one saying I'm working from home because my daughter is sick, I'm thinking, how much work are you going to get done with a sick kid?

I feel like our department has turned into a hen house spa.

Now these are nice, friendly ladies who have good hearts, so I WANT to like them, but I just get irked.

Please don't tell me to not let it bother me because if it were that easy, I would do that.

I just feel like it's so unfair that they get away with this and I have to be at the office every day all day working.

And yes, I am happy to have a job.
Maybe you just need a different environment. I was military and worked with guys. I enjoyed hanging out with the gals, but when offered a position at the main office, turned it down. I liked them, but their convos revolved around kids, bridzilla type antics, bake sales and things like that. No thanks. I could only take it in small doses.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:45 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,760,951 times
At one of my last jobs in the private sector, I had four direct reports.

They were all female, all less than forty, all very competent, and all smokin hot. I loved going to work.

Getting promoted out of that position was bittersweet!

Old 02-16-2014, 08:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,606,594 times
Quote:

2 of these ladies are young women with kids. One is 33 with 2 kids and the other is 42 with 2 kids.

All they talk about are their kids. It's so boring to me. I don't have any kids but I do like kids so occassionally I'm fine with listening.

My real problem comes with how much take they take off and "work from home". I know they can't be working as hard at home on their jobs as they are on their kids.

I don't want to get into a discussion about mom's working from home becuase my real problem is I don't want this to bother me but it does.

I wish I didn't care, but I do. When I get an email from one saying I'm working from home because my daughter is sick, I'm thinking, how much work are you going to get done with a sick kid?

Now these are nice, friendly ladies who have good hearts, so I WANT to like them, but I just get irked.

Please don't tell me to not let it bother me because if it were that easy, I would do that.

I just feel like it's so unfair that they get away with this and I have to be at the office every day all day working.

Question - why can't you work from home? We have a 'work from home' policy too but it is NOT based on whether or not one has children. I will say that the Mom's tended to take advantage until management came up with some guidelines.

I'm a single Mom myself - but mine is 18. Many of his younger years I spent traveling, etc so I didn't have the luxury of using my kid as an excuse. Then I spent about 7 years working from home so . . that was a pretty good gig with a kid at home.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:35 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,858,420 times
I can see your frustration, but think of it this way; if working home wasn't fruitful for them and the company they likely wouldn't still be doing it. How long has this been going on?

I don't like to talk constantly about kids either but some women, being that so much of their lives are consumed with their children, don't have a whole lot else to talk about or have time to take an interest in. They'll probably change when the kids grow up and leave the nest.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:03 AM

867 posts, read 1,592,144 times
These ladies children come first, which is totally expected, but then they expect to make the same amout of money as me except that I work more and I work harder. I know when these ladies are home they are only working 50% of the time. And how can someone work with a sick kid?

Old 02-16-2014, 11:04 AM

867 posts, read 1,592,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So find another job or work from home yourself.
You are not paid to be paying attention to someone else, you are paid to do your job.

If you don't want to work weekends or holidays then tell the company you don't want to.
You can only be taken advantage of if you allow it.

I am guessing it is not your choice as to who is in "your department" and who isn't and I'm glad to see you are giving your permission for Mom's to work since you "don't mind working Mom's".

You could go to a different department as well.
I've started submitting resumes to other companies. Also checking on other departments at my current job. If I can't change it, can't deal with it, then it's time to move on.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:15 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,831,846 times
There is nothing you can do about it but complain to your boss. The plus side is you'll get a promotion faster and you don't have to deal with kids.

Actually you can get a lot done while home with a sick child, depending on the child's personality and the nature of the illness.

Just remember all this in case you are on the other side one day. Heh.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,224,955 times
Quote:

Well, there are the small positives: the coffee does not have to be brewed in the break room as frequently. Printers and copy machines are more readily available as these women are at home. You can easily find a place to sit in the company lunch room and the best one based on your post:

When they are at home, you don't have to listen to them talk about their kids constantly.

If I heard you describe your relationship with your manager/supervisor a little more, I might be able to offer advice. I don't think you should just go storming into his/her office and start complaining about it. How long have you been with the company? If it is longer, you can be slightly bolder than if it is just a short time. Whatever you do, keep it professional and classy.

We can only make partially educated guesses at what could happen.Maybe they will let you leave a little early on say every other Friday if you are polite about it to compensate the inequity.. Be sure to first say you love working there if you do decide to bring it to their attention.

Having said that, it is seldom that there is not some part of our work lives that is a little unfair at times.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships