Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:00 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,434,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I have been a little anti-social lately, and I'm realizing that the biggest reason for this is people and their selfishness, especially in conversations. I feel like everyone I know talks & talks & talks, but they can't listen to me when I talk, or let me get a word in.

Sunday we went to a Superbowl party, and I felt like everyone I spoke to, just went on & on about their lives, but never bothered to ask me about mine. Or, if I tried to get a word in...god forbid...They would just look at me & then start talking about themselves again. The same thing happened at work today. It's like I can't actually contribute to the conversation unless I'm talking to the person about them, or asking about their lives.

Do you experience this? When you speak to people, do you bother to ask how specific things are going in their lives? Is it so hard to let the other person talk here & there?
Many people are self-centered and only concerned with what affects them personally. So most times these kinds of people are not the least bit concerned with what your life entails. Re-adjust your perspective and make sure you dont reflect the same introversion as you seek friends who are as interested in you as you are in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:20 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,409,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
It goes like this... "Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah hahahahahahaaaa, Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah HAAHAHAHAAAAHHAA Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah HAHAAHAHAHAAA!
This made me laugh. I can practically hear this woman in my head. Either that, or the Charlie Brown teacher. You can just listen to so much before your eyes glaze over.

My father was like this. When I was a kid, he would talk for EIGHT HOURS STRAIGHT and I had to sit there and listen. When I was 12 I stopped visiting.

How do these people take a breath? Do they breathe through their *ss or something? Always wanted to ask one of those people that question, but I don't want to hear the 45 minutes of whatever comes out of their mouth next.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,018 times
Yes, people are selfish. Anyways, my experience has been that even when they listen it is fake emotions to comply with my emotions for then but it is nothing really more than gossip for them. It is hard to find someone to actually confide in and communicate with. All these so called friends are just for general casual meaningless talk.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:36 AM
SF

286 posts, read 325,095 times
Quote:
I have been a little anti-social lately, and I'm realizing that the biggest reason for this is people and their selfishness, especially in conversations. I feel like everyone I know talks & talks & talks, but they can't listen to me when I talk, or let me get a word in.

Sunday we went to a Superbowl party, and I felt like everyone I spoke to, just went on & on about their lives, but never bothered to ask me about mine. Or, if I tried to get a word in...god forbid...They would just look at me & then start talking about themselves again. The same thing happened at work today. It's like I can't actually contribute to the conversation unless I'm talking to the person about them, or asking about their lives.

Do you experience this? When you speak to people, do you bother to ask how specific things are going in their lives? Is it so hard to let the other person talk here & there?
Yes I can understand this, it can happen this way many times.Some people they want to do all the talking in the conversation and they don't care if someone wants to say something.Well I do not often bother to ask about how things are going on in their lives.

Having said this not all people are like that there are some who value others opinion as much as theirs.Even I believe that others opinions are important as well.If you are feeling bad about this then you should be with those who give a chance to express your opinions as well and not with those who shut you off.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,713,234 times
Quote:
LOL! Yeah, that's for sure! In my experience dogs are better people than most humans. It was humans that forced me to part with my beloved dog here where I live now, the Homeowners Association. They had a limit of 40 lbs. for dogs here, which is why everyone here has those yappy little dishrag dogs. My dog was a 125 lb. malamute. They could not have that here, and I was forced to place him with a family through Malamute Rescue. It broke my heart.

I desperately want to get away from those HOA nazis and get another good dog. A dog is the best friend you can possibly have in my life experience. By comparison humans just plain suck.

My beloved Buddy
oh he's a beauty!
I'm so sorry you had to part with him.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,066,929 times
It's been said that friends are a reflective of ourselves. Therefore the OP is not mingling with people who are a good match. . . time to foster new friendships.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:58 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,204,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Are you speaking from experience?

It's true that one should find better friends, but hey, it's not always that easy. It's sometimes difficult to know what sort you're dealing with but when you meet so many that are this way, it's easy to lose a little faith.

I really found this to be true in the work environment. I used to work with a woman named Stacy. I used to tell my husband that if Stacy and I weren't talking about Stacy, then we weren't talking. I've met tons of people like that. I sometimes say ridiculous things, out loud, during conversations like that just to see if they can even comprehend someone else being in "their" conversation. Most of the time, no one notices. BUT...it does amuse me to no end.

It's true one might be boring, but is that really a good reason to be a selfishly rude prig? Don't think so...but still, that behavior is becoming much more common.
No it's not. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Most things that are worthwhile aren't easy, such as getting in shape or earning a college degree. Hey, I had a bunch of acquaintances like that in my 20s. But when I realized that they were unrewarding to be around in any sense of the word, I moved on. It took me a while to cultivate new friends with whom I had shared interests, but I was a lot happier having done it. They value my friendship and I value theirs.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:03 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,918,832 times
Quote:

Yes, and that's why the people who did that to me are no longer in my life. I got tired of being everyone's shoulder. We could talk for an hour on the phone and when we hung up I knew EVERYTHING going on with them and in their life and they new NOTHING of mine. Very strange, huh? Or, face to face, pretty much the same thing. It isn't/wasn't that I particularly wanted them to know everything going on but it would've been nice to be ASKED how I was and how are things with you? Well, to be honest, they usually DID ask that but then they'd immediately launch into their story before I could say anything. lol My sister is a good example too. We aren't estranged or anything but she's not allowed to have my phone number. I cannot, and will not, deal with her constant drama and "Woe is me!" stuff. She would be calling nearly every day. She does it to my mom and I say "No". She's lucky my mom has the patience of a saint!

Do people actually have conversations anymore? Seems like I participate in a lot of small talk but no real conversations, most of the time.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,215,422 times
Quote:

If I like the person and am genuinely interested, I ask. If not, I don't.

When people ramble on about themselves, depending on the situation, I'll exit the conversation by getting up and walking away, even if it's just a fake trip to the bathroom; look around, turn away, focus my attention elsewhere (in your case, why not the game?), just basically make it obvious they've lost me; or let my eyes glaze over, yawn, maybe even look like I'm nodding off.

People who monopolize conversations like that are rude. No sense in indulging them.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:30 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,647,234 times
Quote:
LOL! Yeah, that's for sure! In my experience dogs are better people than most humans. It was humans that forced me to part with my beloved dog here where I live now, the Homeowners Association. They had a limit of 40 lbs. for dogs here, which is why everyone here has those yappy little dishrag dogs. My dog was a 125 lb. malamute. They could not have that here, and I was forced to place him with a family through Malamute Rescue. It broke my heart.

I desperately want to get away from those HOA nazis and get another good dog. A dog is the best friend you can possibly have in my life experience. By comparison humans just plain suck.

My beloved Buddy
Buddy is gorgeous! If I lived in your state, my family and I would have taken him in a minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships