Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 03:25 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,286 times

Advertisements

Oh I can so very much relate to the OP here. I know a woman who since I met her 4 years ago has been like that, going on and on about her stuff and her drama and all the people in her life I've never heard of or have any idea who they are and all their trials and travails in life and of course all of her personal drama... and every time I open my mouth she just talks over me, louder and louder until I give up and quietly let her blather endlessly on. I've run into so many like her over the last ten years, so selfish, self-absorbed, and so very obnoxious.

It goes like this... "Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah hahahahahahaaaa, Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah HAAHAHAHAAAAHHAA Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah HAHAAHAHAHAAA!

Now she's lost several jobs in quick succession, and is homeless as of today, living out of her car. Saw that one coming.

And yes, it's a major social trend, I've run into it all over the US over the last ten years, people who blare their stuff at you endlessly treating you as an empty vessel into which they can endlessly dump all their drama and ego trips. It's most of the reason I've become a loner and just keep to myself these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 PM

726 posts, read 1,228,791 times
Get a cat or dog, you'll have a friend and they love to listen to you.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:52 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,234 times
My mother is just like that! Conversations with her are merely a chance for her give her monologue. I just put her on speaker phone, and throw in an occasional "uh hunh" The price she pays for this is that I'm much closer with my aunt and when I have something to discuss or exciting news, she is the first person I call, because she actually listens.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:59 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsydevil82 View Post
I have been a little anti-social lately, and I'm realizing that the biggest reason for this is people and their selfishness, especially in conversations. I feel like everyone I know talks & talks & talks, but they can't listen to me when I talk, or let me get a word in.

Sunday we went to a Superbowl party, and I felt like everyone I spoke to, just went on & on about their lives, but never bothered to ask me about mine. Or, if I tried to get a word in...god forbid...They would just look at me & then start talking about themselves again. The same thing happened at work today. It's like I can't actually contribute to the conversation unless I'm talking to the person about them, or asking about their lives.

Do you experience this? When you speak to people, do you bother to ask how specific things are going in their lives? Is it so hard to let the other person talk here & there?
I know exactly what you're saying, which is why when I go to work at night I rarely talk to anyone outside of work-related comms.
We have women who babble incessantly and guys too, but I prefer to get the job done without the drama mill.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
My thoughts exactly! They're more loyal in most cases too.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:30 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,273,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
LOL! Yeah, that's for sure! In my experience dogs are better people than most humans. It was humans that forced me to part with my beloved dog here where I live now, the Homeowners Association. They had a limit of 40 lbs. for dogs here, which is why everyone here has those yappy little dishrag dogs. My dog was a 125 lb. malamute. They could not have that here, and I was forced to place him with a family through Malamute Rescue. It broke my heart.

I desperately want to get away from those HOA nazis and get another good dog. A dog is the best friend you can possibly have in my life experience. By comparison humans just plain suck.

My beloved Buddy

Old 02-04-2014, 05:50 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
If this is any comfort: The silent man thinks most highly of himself!

Let's face it, some people simply don't have the requisite listening skills. And I have to say, my listening skills aren't the hottest!

Now! These people, out of courtesy, might have left you talk about yourself, but if they're merely being courteous, and not listening, then what's the point!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 06:11 PM

872 posts, read 1,262,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
She speaks the truth.

I had friends of the sort the OP described. Then I realized that my friends were a bunch of loudmouthed narcissists. So I ditched them.

It's really simple. If you want to have friends of quality, surround yourself with people of quality. At the other end of the spectrum, don't stand in the corner by the potted palm with a drink in your hand. Maybe you are just boring the snot out of everybody.
+1

Get better friends. Look at yourself, too. Remember, there are always two sides to everything, maybe not perfectly 50/50, and changing even your 5% can help you.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,296 times
We have 2 dogs & they are wonderful ��. They always listen & are always happy to see me.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
LOL! Yeah, that's for sure! In my experience dogs are better people than most humans. It was humans that forced me to part with my beloved dog here where I live now, the Homeowners Association. They had a limit of 40 lbs. for dogs here, which is why everyone here has those yappy little dishrag dogs. My dog was a 125 lb. malamute. They could not have that here, and I was forced to place him with a family through Malamute Rescue. It broke my heart.

I desperately want to get away from those HOA nazis and get another good dog. A dog is the best friend you can possibly have in my life experience. By comparison humans just plain suck.

My beloved Buddy
I'm so sorry . We lived in a town home with hoa and the neighborhood gave us a hard time about our dogs. I wouldn't live in a place like that again, unless I'm older with no pets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships