Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:13 PM

25 posts, read 30,030 times

Advertisements

Cutting a long story short: I'm white, and when I was eighteen and in college, I started dating a black man from my class. My parents vehemently disapproved, but we stayed together through all the stuff they threw at us. We got married when we were 24. My parents weren't present at the wedding. In fact, they weren't present for anything between I and my husband. Two years on from the wedding and I'm pregnant. We're having a baby boy and we're very much excited.

A couple of weeks ago I get a housecall from my mom and dad after the longest time ever. They heard I was pregnant and they said they had been stupid, they wanted to bury the hatchet, to leave things in the past and to move on as a family. Naturally I was shocked, and skeptical. My husband, however, comes from a strong family unit, and he's a very loving, gentle kind of man. He welcomed the idea with open arms.

Me? Not so sure. I know my parents and at times they can have a capacity for manipulation. I have heard several stories of parents who didn't approve of interracial relationships realising how stupid they've been and coming round after the grandkids are born, but it just seems too good to be true for me. My husband harbours completely different thoughts. He wants them in our lives. I'm kinda stuck in the middle. After everything that happened in the last eight years, I just find it difficult to trust them.

Are there any people out there who have been in a similar situation or have any constructive thoughts?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,279,148 times
Babies bring the love with them.

I'd take it as a genuine offer. They may have just woken up how stupid and bigoted they've been, and how poorly they've treated their grandchild's other family.

It happens.

Good luck to you, I bet you have a gorgeous baby!

ETA: I didn't encourage a relationship with my kids and my parents, because they were such jerks. Twenty years later, there's only one side with regrets, and it isn't mine. You reap what you sow in this world.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,307,619 times
Honestly about the only thing you can do is welcome them as your husband is willing to and see what happens. If you find that they are going back to their old ways then you can deal with the issue IF it comes along. Maybe they truly have changed but time will tell. No need to worry with a bunch of "what if's" though. Enjoy your life, your husband, your pregnancy and see what happens with the parents in time. Congratulations on the baby, what a joyful time for you and your families.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,938,938 times
Forgiveness is the key to happiness. Embrace them and move forward. Put the hard feelings aside. Pretend it never happened. They grew, you grew and you are growing a baby. All is well in the world.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en_ View Post
Cutting a long story short: I'm white, and when I was eighteen and in college, I started dating a black man from my class. My parents vehemently disapproved, but we stayed together through all the stuff they threw at us. We got married when we were 24. My parents weren't present at the wedding. In fact, they weren't present for anything between I and my husband. Two years on from the wedding and I'm pregnant. We're having a baby boy and we're very much excited.

A couple of weeks ago I get a housecall from my mom and dad after the longest time ever. They heard I was pregnant and they said they had been stupid, they wanted to bury the hatchet, to leave things in the past and to move on as a family. Naturally I was shocked, and skeptical. My husband, however, comes from a strong family unit, and he's a very loving, gentle kind of man. He welcomed the idea with open arms.

Me? Not so sure. I know my parents and at times they can have a capacity for manipulation. I have heard several stories of parents who didn't approve of interracial relationships realising how stupid they've been and coming round after the grandkids are born, but it just seems too good to be true for me. My husband harbours completely different thoughts. He wants them in our lives. I'm kinda stuck in the middle. After everything that happened in the last eight years, I just find it difficult to trust them.

Are there any people out there who have been in a similar situation or have any constructive thoughts?

Thank you.

These are your parents and they are trying to reconcile with you, this is a GOOD thing!

Don't be so immature as to blow them off - they are the only parents you have and it sounds like they realized they made a mistake.

Take the high road, be the bigger person and try to rebuild your relationship.

At the very least, give it a shot.

You are on the verge of finding out just how very hard it is to be a parent.

And believe me, no matter how well intentioned you are, YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES.

You better teach your own son the importance of compassion and forgiveness, or you could find yourself on the outs with HIM one day.

Think about it.

And congrats on that new baby

Old 09-29-2012, 10:47 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,923,505 times
Who needs a couple of bigots around who will likely, at times, make your kid feel inferior?

I'd tell them to take a hike if I were you.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:50 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,016,392 times
First of all congratulations on having a child. Make sure your home is always warm and welcome to him regardless of what happens.

The thing is, is people can change, your parents included. Your parents do not want to miss out on your new born's birth and life, and they want to reconcile there differences and(hopefully) welcome your husband into there lives with open arms, as well as your child. You should definitely meet them as husband and wife to discuss the change and how they will welcome your husband.

Bottom line is that baby needs both families in his life to know where he comes from and help him grow.

And, um, free baby sitters!!

Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,695,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en_ View Post

Thank you.
Its better to accept that they want back into your life. Its better to cut off this hostility and let die down..

I think your husband has the right approach and says a lot about his character in his willingness to accept your parents apology. From my point of view he's in more of position to not want their apology is he not.

I think accepting their apology will a good both you, your husband and your parents.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,806,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
Who needs a couple of bigots around who will likely, at times, make your kid feel inferior?

Hopefully she will be more mature than that

Old 09-29-2012, 11:09 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,743,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post

exactly. I seen situations like this one too many times. Where the white grandparents treat the biracial children like garbage (not saying they all do that, but the ones that have a problem with it in the first place, don't change). I couldn't give two craps about 'fair weather' friends or parents, if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships