Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:05 AM

12,794 posts, read 15,059,271 times

Advertisements

It could be worse. They could have never came arouund ever. I'm in an interracial relationship, but my parents aren't bigots because they're an interrcial couple too, so they never told me who I should & shouldn't date.

Well, if they want to bury the hatchet & YOU WANT TO BE CLOSER TO THEM, why not! I'm not saying you have to see each other every weekend or anythng, but at least be cordial to each other. If I were you, I would express however, that they really hurt me & it didn't have teo be that way. So I wouldn't let them off the hook too fast.

It's nice that your husband has a good attitude about it. Other spouses may have said, "F--- them!" Good luck & I hope things get better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:17 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,813,529 times
People change especially when babies are born give your parents the benefit of the doubt and let them into your childs life.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:22 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,796,998 times
Honestly, I would take them up on the offer! Although I seriously despise Bigots I would consider whole heartly making up with my parents.

I find it hard to believe you can possess intelligence and Bigotry.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,345,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en_ View Post
Cutting a long story short: I'm white, and when I was eighteen and in college, I started dating a black man from my class. My parents vehemently disapproved, but we stayed together through all the stuff they threw at us. We got married when we were 24. My parents weren't present at the wedding. In fact, they weren't present for anything between I and my husband. Two years on from the wedding and I'm pregnant. We're having a baby boy and we're very much excited.

A couple of weeks ago I get a housecall from my mom and dad after the longest time ever. They heard I was pregnant and they said they had been stupid, they wanted to bury the hatchet, to leave things in the past and to move on as a family. Naturally I was shocked, and skeptical. My husband, however, comes from a strong family unit, and he's a very loving, gentle kind of man. He welcomed the idea with open arms.

Me? Not so sure. I know my parents and at times they can have a capacity for manipulation. I have heard several stories of parents who didn't approve of interracial relationships realising how stupid they've been and coming round after the grandkids are born, but it just seems too good to be true for me. My husband harbours completely different thoughts. He wants them in our lives. I'm kinda stuck in the middle. After everything that happened in the last eight years, I just find it difficult to trust them.

Are there any people out there who have been in a similar situation or have any constructive thoughts?

Thank you.
Just be thankful they came around and in a sense, repented/ sought forgiveness.

Many of those types never do come around! Or they wait until the children are grown, and/ or a divorce/sep happens.

They never intend to invest any time, love, etc.,etc. in those they have deemed 'undesirable' or inferior.

The plan is to punish/exclude the offenders and "less thans" forever and ever.

The suffering the forever excluded ones feel, in a unresolved case like yours, is immeasurable and very damaging!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships