Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 08:41 PM

183 posts, read 303,348 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Newburgh NY on Fullerton ave from Oct 1989 to Sept 2001. Graduated from NFA in 1999. I'm wondering if anyone else has made the move out of there to the South and what their thoughts are. Newburgh was a good way to prep for my time in Baghdad Iraq if you know what I mean. Greenville is a friggin paradise by my standards. I absolutely love it here. Whats crazy is that Greenville in the 80's and early 90's was almost as bad as Newburgh. They are proof that it can be turned around with the right leadership. So anyway, any thoughts from those that have left NY for the South?

Old 05-28-2012, 06:13 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Think very carefully before you leave the north for the south.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...e-back-up.html

Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 AM

I think it depends on where you go in the south. Some places are terrible, others are awesome with lots of jobs and a great place to raise a family. Again, Newburgh is my baseline so lots of places seem nice to me.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
I think it depends on where you go in the south. Some places are terrible, others are awesome with lots of jobs and a great place to raise a family. Again, Newburgh is my baseline so lots of places seem nice to me.
This is true. My experiences with the south have been nothing pleasant. I don't like any of the south to be honest with you except maybe Miami (from what little I've seen).

What do you like about Greenville? Personally, SC is the last state I'd ever want to live in.

Perhaps if other posters knew what you liked about Greenville, we/they could guide you more appropriately.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Upstate SC is probably the best part of SC. My mother is from SC(Mullens) and outside of Myrtle Beach, that part of the state is poorer. Pretty much the way to go in SC is Upstate, Myrtle Beach and the Columbia and Charleston areas. Those areas get quite a few transplants.

I think with Newburgh, it is pretty much the city or parts of the city that are hurting. Orange County is one of the fastest growing counties in NY State. So, the area can't be too bad.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:49 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
Greenville's violent crime rate is extremely high (even by South Carolina standards).

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-29-2012 at 06:04 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 12:01 PM

Another difference is the density of the two cities. Greenville is about the same in terms of land size as Syracuse(26.1 square miles), but has slightly less people than Utica, while Newburgh has 28,000+ people within an area just under 4 square miles. So, much of Greenville is very suburban in character. It would be like the town of Newburgh becoming annexed with the city of Newburgh or at least a good portion of it. That would change things if that was done.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:01 PM

211 posts, read 431,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Upstate SC is probably the best part of SC. My mother is from SC(Mullens) and outside of Myrtle Beach, that part of the state is poorer. Pretty much the way to go in SC is Upstate, Myrtle Beach and the Columbia and Charleston areas. Those areas get quite a few transplants.

I think with Newburgh, it is pretty much the city or parts of the city that are hurting. Orange County is one of the fastest growing counties in NY State. So, the area can't be too bad.
You've obviously never been in the City of Newburgh because many areas you would not want to drive through at night with you car doors unlocked or even a window cracked, let alone stop! As I pointed out in a earlier thread Orange County is only growing so fast because of the rapid growth of one particular place the Village of Kiryas Joel and their ultra orthodox Hasidic folks who are reproducing faster than jackrabbits and suck the life out of any Gov"t or State program that they can while paying no taxes and having everything giving to them thanks to corrupt politicians.

One other reason was that people who couldnt cut it closer towards NYC (Westchester, Rockland, LI, ) have landed here because of having to sell their places (or lost them all together) in more affluent areas and had to settle in Orange since the Great Recession took hold. Lets say that a lot of the newer folks here in the area are also not exactly the "cream of the crop" as well

To the OP good luck in SC and get the hell outta NEwburgh as fast as you can and never look back!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:56 PM

Newburgh is and has been for some time a modern urban war zone. Greenville has been a saving grace for me to own a home, raise a family, go to college and start a career. I'm trying to get my Dad to move here as soon as he retires in a couple years. To paint the picture:

My "childhood" in Newburgh
Constant fighting from the age of 9 when i moved to Newburgh from Bergen county NJ.
I've witnessed gangs knife fighting in the street, I was hanging out with them at the time. What can I say, young and dumb.
I didn't even flinch in Baghdad as an Infantryman, gunfire was a nightly event in the summertime in Newburgh, the Karada district of Baghdad seemed nice to me.
I remember reading headlines about Jamacans cutting off Mexicans arms on Broadway around the corner from my house.
I've had to literally run for my life to a gas station to avoid being robbed or killed.
I got drunk for the first time at 10 years old.
I got high for the first time at 12.
Saw a hooker get burned alive in Delano Hitch rec park while drinking in the Grandstand bar at 19 years old.
Actually knew the hooker cause the bartenders used to let her sit at the end of the bar and give her water and shelter in the winter.
One the first of my friends to die died at 17 years old.
The second of my friends to die died at 22.
Watched a raid of hundreds of houses back in the early 90's at 12 years old.
Handled my first illegal gun at 12.
I've seen crackheads sit on the porch while their infants crap and **** on themselves naked in the gutter.
Around a year ago a 13 year old kid stabbed two teens in the middle of the day a couple of blocks from where I grew up and my Dad still lives. One bled to death on the spot and the other survived.
This caused the whole school district to get shut down for a few days.
School getting shut down for gang fighting was normal stuff for us.
Some other stuff I'll leave out due to, well you know, stuff you shouldn't talk about.

My life in Greenville
Bought a house in Greenville in an up and coming neighborhood for only $70,000.
I live two blocks from an internationally recognized downtown/Main St.
I live two blocks from a 5 year old award winning minor league baseball stadium the Greenville Drive at Fluor Field.
Festivals are held every few weeks in walking distance.
The crime in Greenville is laughable compared to Newburgh, I'm sorry but the only people who couldn't handle the thugs here are wimps who wouldn't make it in any city.
Some of the best dining I've ever had and that's up against NYC standards.
Beautiful parks: research "falls Park Greenville SC" if you don't believe me.
Jobs to spare: BMW North America Manufacturing Headquarters, Michelin North America Headquarters, Bosch, GE, Amazon and all the support that goes along with them.
It is very clean.
People smile, I don't care if it's fake it feels nice when people smile at you.
My son attends a brand new public elementary school with an engineering focus, one of the first of it's kind ever.
We have a big children's museum.
We have a full size arena with minor league Hockey, that's right I said Hockey, and major name concerts as well as other events.
New high rises going up as we speak.

I love Greenville and associate myself with it more than NY now a days. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a different experience first hand. Especially those from Newburgh that know what I'm talking about.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakas80 View Post
You've obviously never been in the City of Newburgh because many areas you would not want to drive through at night with you car doors unlocked or even a window cracked, let alone stop! As I pointed out in a earlier thread Orange County is only growing so fast because of the rapid growth of one particular place the Village of Kiryas Joel and their ultra orthodox Hasidic folks who are reproducing faster than jackrabbits and suck the life out of any Gov"t or State program that they can while paying no taxes and having everything giving to them thanks to corrupt politicians.

One other reason was that people who couldnt cut it closer towards NYC (Westchester, Rockland, LI, ) have landed here because of having to sell their places (or lost them all together) in more affluent areas and had to settle in Orange since the Great Recession took hold. Lets say that a lot of the newer folks here in the area are also not exactly the "cream of the crop" as well

To the OP good luck in SC and get the hell outta NEwburgh as fast as you can and never look back!
You wouldn't want to drive in certain parts of any city. I know Newburgh is a rough city, but to compare it to Greenville is somewhat odd due to the different set up of the cities.

Also, I think many people moved to Orange County due to a lower COL versus NYC and other parts of Downstate. Many retire there as well. Think about it. It isn't a coincidence that the Monroe-Woodbury area has grown so fast and it is the part of Orange County closest to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York