Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:37 PM

93,650 posts, read 124,375,652 times

Advertisements

I wonder if Greenville annexed any land or suburbs after the early 90's like Charleston has in recent years?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:51 PM

211 posts, read 431,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You wouldn't want to drive in certain parts of any city. I know Newburgh is a rough city, but to compare it to Greenville is somewhat odd due to the different set up of the cities.

Also, I think many people moved to Orange County due to a lower COL versus NYC and other parts of Downstate. Many retire there as well. Think about it. It isn't a coincidence that the Monroe-Woodbury area has grown so fast and it is the part of Orange County closest to NYC.
Cost of Living, yeah probably but buddy I dont think to many people can afford /want to retire in a place like M-W when the whole appeal is the commute to NYC and supposed stellar school system. Most the people retiring would more likely venture to Sullivan or Pike County PA, I know this for a fact from when I worked in real estate. When you retire would you want to retire in a place with sky-high school taxes that are only gonna fluctuate over time? Also if you wanna get technical Tuxedo/Southfields/Tuxedo Park are the closest part of Orange Co in proximity to the City. Funny how someone living in Syracuse thinks he knows more about a community I lived in for 24 years and still within 10 miles from. I hope you at least used to live here at some point?

Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 PM

93,650 posts, read 124,375,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakas80 View Post
Cost of Living, yeah probably but buddy I dont think to many people can afford /want to retire in a place like M-W when the whole appeal is the commute to NYC and supposed stellar school system. Most the people retiring would more likely venture to Sullivan or Pike County PA, I know this for a fact from when I worked in real estate. When you retire would you want to retire in a place with sky-high school taxes that are only gonna fluctuate over time? Also if you wanna get technical Tuxedo/Southfields/Tuxedo Park are the closest part of Orange Co in proximity to the City. Funny how someone living in Syracuse thinks he knows more about a community I lived in for 24 years and still within 10 miles from. I hope you at least used to live here at some point?
Never said I knew more about Orange County. I have heard of people moving up there for the lower COL and even to retire. I didn't say that they retire in the M-W school district, but that southern Orange County, including the M-W area has grown relatively rapidly. It seems like people retire to more small town/rural areas of the county if they do so.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 AM

655 posts, read 2,329,997 times
Default OH NO!! ?? Glutton For Punishment ??

NBNY2GRNVL,

My mom always said,"if you don't have anything nice to say, XXX'X XXX XXXXXXXX XX XXX!!" SO sorry mom! Can't let this one go by!

Hey Man, are you a glutton for punishment; living in some of the worst possible places??

I don't ever remember in my lifetime that NB-NY was decent/acceptable; get out the bulldozer. Now you have moved to one of the XXXXX(<<is that okay mom) states in the country? Do you know that there ARE a few GOOD states in the country? Vermont, Colorado, Oregon, Maine, Massachusetts, Maryland, New York State, Hawaii, a couple others.

There's lots of people who can't wait to get out of the state you moved to. You couldn"t pay me enough to move to XXXXX XXXXXXXX! What? Are you writing a thesis for college on ancient, archaic, backward civilations of the world? You do know that you only have one lifetime, right? So why would you XXXX XX XX XXXXX XXXXXXXX?

Best of luck to you! XXX'XX XXXX XX!!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,649,841 times
I moved from the Albany area to Aiken, SC and can't wait to move back to Upstate NY! This place is quickly turning into a hell hole. It's too close to Disgusta aka Augusta. We had 2 cop killings in 6 weeks. Every month this year there has been at least one murder. There have been 11 meth lab busts so far this year. The drought is beyond ridiculous. Water restrictions most of the year. Didn't have that in NY! It's hotter than hell most of the year.

Yes, taxes are cheap here. So are homes that I wonder if they will last 300 years like homes in Upstate NY. There are entire villages from the 1700's in NY and are still standing in wonderful condition. I certainly don't believe these cookie cutter homes popped up in 3 months will still be standing in 300 years.

Along with cheap taxes we get a crappy education system - 49th in the US. Go us! The lack of caring about education shows. Crime is high. People really don't know how to drive. Driving in Jersey and Mass is a piece of cake compared to around here. People, in general, aren't too bright.

I am working very hard at moving back home. Something I never thought I'd say! Can't wait to have water and 4 actual seasons again.

The South works for some, but doesn't for all. If you like it, good for you. But why come on a NY forum and brag about how wonderful the South is? I don't see folks from the Northeast go on Southern forums and brag and there is plenty to brag about. Very strange how a lot of people in the South do this on here.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:19 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,276,345 times
11 methlab busts in a city the size of Augusta in 5 Months bothers you??

Holy crap you ain't ready for Upstate NY.

Here in my city, less then half the size, I think we beat 11 back in February or March.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
11 methlab busts in a city the size of Augusta in 5 Months bothers you??

Holy crap you ain't ready for Upstate NY.

Here in my city, less then half the size, I think we beat 11 back in February or March.
Sean - the 11 meth lab busts are in Aiken County which is in South Carolina. Augusta is in Georgia. Most have been in Aiken city limits which has a population of about 26K. So yeah that's a HUGE problem!

I'm from Upstate NY! The Albany area specifically and no there were not 11 meth labs busts in 5 months in the county I lived in or any county around me when I lived in NY which was over 35 years.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Meth is new to Upstate NY, I'd guess 3-5 years.

My city is 11K. The raids are for Madison County At last count we had 14 methlabs busted. The police stated at that time they won't be releasing information about busts until they had followed all leads and stuff.

That was awhile ago so its safe to say they have 28 now. Your area is about triple so it corrects out to 84 methlabs in 5 months.

Compared to CNY your "drug problem" down there is to laugh. 11 raids in a County that size and its making the papers means ya all got some bored newspaperman.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Meth is new to Upstate NY, I'd guess 3-5 years.

My city is 11K. The raids are for Madison County At last count we had 14 methlabs busted. The police stated at that time they won't be releasing information about busts until they had followed all leads and stuff.

That was awhile ago so its safe to say they have 28 now. Your area is about triple so it corrects out to 84 methlabs in 5 months.

Compared to CNY your "drug problem" down there is to laugh. 11 raids in a County that size and its making the papers means ya all got some bored newspaperman.
I lived in ny until 2010 and meth was there. It's not a major problem around Albany yet. It shouldn't be a problem ANYWHERE!!!

Aiken has 26K people. How is that 3 times the number for your city of 11K? I've only read about 11 busts this year. Doesn't mean there weren't more. Also I didn't say how many were in the county. Reading comprehension and you seem not to be getting along today.

There shouldn't be a drug problem anywhere! Why do you make light of this? It's not funny. It's not laughable. It's sad and not a good thing!

No comment on the 2 cops being killed in less than 6 weeks and another one shot? That's not funny either. No comment on the 6 murders this year so far this year? That's not funny either.

Maybe where you live crap like this happens frequently. It does NOT happen all over Upstate. I did not grow up with or live near this crap until I moved to South Carolina. I can't wait to get out of this mess and go back home.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:21 PM

I've lived Upstate off and on since the 60's, prolly totaling 40 years.

I agree with you Upstate wasn't like this before. Thats also not important. Gas used to cost a quarter.

The Upstate of today is a drug and crime infested wasteland.

As I'm sure your aware guns are illegal in NY but I did catch that Syracuse had 3 shootings in one night over the weekend. I don't follow super close but listening to the radio in the morning I'd say Syracuse averaged 2-3 shooting a week. I'm sure all those guns are properly registered and all permits are in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York