Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 AM

20 posts, read 137,101 times

Advertisements

I've been hearing about how bad Newburgh is from ppl living there. I heard that police up thre is video monitoring PJs 24/7 and there are high drug and prostitutuion problems in downtown. Some even said that it is the worst town in Upstate NY.
How would you company Newburgh to other bad area in NYC and NJ?
Does it have a bad rep just because it's in upstate and surrounded by quiet towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 PM

52 posts, read 246,331 times
I grew up near Newburgh, and there are parts of Newburgh (the city - not the town) that are loaded with crime. From what I understand there is a fair amount of police/political corruption in Newburgh which only escalates the problem. However, to be fair, there are parts of Newburgh that are very nice as well. Worst town in upstate? No, I think there are areas that are worse off than Newburgh.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:35 AM

1 posts, read 29,357 times

Okay who ever says that Newburgh isnt really that bad doesnt know wtf they are talkin about. I grew up in Newburgh my whole life and it was Mod cut: language horrible. Dont move there and espcecially if you have kids.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-22-2009 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 02-24-2009, 07:38 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika704 View Post
Okay who ever says that Newburgh isnt really that bad doesnt know wtf they are talkin about. I grew up in Newburgh my whole life and it was Mod cut: language horrible. Dont move there and espcecially if you have kids.
In the lower hudson valley, city of newburgh ranks right up there with spring valley when it comes to crime. Personally, having been born and raised in Brooklyn. There are areas in Brooklyn, that make Newburgh look like childs play. Unfortunately Newburgh is something like 3-4 miles squared wide and has alot of ubran blight. It's as if some one took a rough and tumble inner city neighborhood and droped it in the middle of no where. From talking to people who have lived there most of their lives. It wasn't always this bad. The rough area's are mostly towards the water front and centered around St. Lukes Hospital. There are some good people in the city trying to clean it up. Renwick st is an example of urban revitalization. If you are looking to purchase a home there, I would look on the outskirts of the city limits away from all parts near broadway. You will be surprised the types of deals you could find. Newburgh Free Acadamy, isn't that bad of a high school. The school does have issues with gang, but you mostly hear good things about the school and it's pretty diverse.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:50 PM

12 posts, read 117,226 times
Regarding thelazyone's quote which reads "There are areas in Brooklyn, that make Newburgh look like childs play," I don't doubt it considering it is 70 sq miles and has over 2 million people. I don't understand why people have to make references to things that are completely irrevelant. Brooklyn and Newburgh have nothing to do with one another besides the fact that they are both diverse. I have never been to Newburgh, but judging from many of the posted comments, photos, and increase in crime stats over the years, it doesn't seem like a pleasant place. Kart rider, Newburgh is downstate, not up. Albany is upstate. Plattsburgh is Upstate. Utica and Syracuse are Central NY. Rochester and Buffalo are Western and Binghamton is in the Southern Tier. Sorry, but these are common misconceptions that really get under my skin, especially when hearing it over and over again.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFanMA View Post
Regarding thelazyone's quote which reads "There are areas in Brooklyn, that make Newburgh look like childs play," I don't doubt it considering it is 70 sq miles and has over 2 million people. I don't understand why people have to make references to things that are completely irrevelant. Brooklyn and Newburgh have nothing to do with one another besides the fact that they are both diverse. I have never been to Newburgh, but judging from many of the posted comments, photos, and increase in crime stats over the years, it doesn't seem like a pleasant place. Kart rider, Newburgh is downstate, not up. Albany is upstate. Plattsburgh is Upstate. Utica and Syracuse are Central NY. Rochester and Buffalo are Western and Binghamton is in the Southern Tier. Sorry, but these are common misconceptions that really get under my skin, especially when hearing it over and over again.
the point i was trying to make was that if newburgh was equal to the size of brooklyn, crime would be worse than that of brooklyn. sorry if your feathers were ruffled.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:55 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
The City of Newburgh is NOT where I'd move. Ever since the 70's when they enticed landlords to accept section 8-that's when it went down. I can remember going as a child to Broadway to shop at stores at night in the late 60's early 70's. No one would bother you, everything was nicely kept and clean. Now, forget it. Liberty Street is a cess pool of crime. Mount Saint Mary's college is right above that road and I was never so happy that my child decided to leave that school. Week after the semester ended-there was a drive by shooting on Liberty street and you could see the college buildings in the picture that was in the paper. It's horrible what's happened to Newburgh. I'd stay far away from the city-look towards Cornwall, New Windsor, Washingtonville or other towns that aren't dealing with the garbage that happens in Newburgh.

And this are USED to be known as Upstate-contrary to what is being posted here. That designation seem to be change by people that have relocated here from Westchester and lower counties. I still say we are Upstate-downstate is where it's overcrowded, has subways, overtaxed and attitudes. Sorry.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Liberty Street is a cess pool of crime. Mount Saint Mary's college is right above that road and I was never so happy that my child decided to leave that school.
I will agree with Liberty street being rough. MSMC happens to better one of the best private schools in NY. Granted it's not in the best of locations, reason why its gated in. I'm trying to convince my oldest to applying to that school. We can all admit that Newburgh is pretty rough. However, not all parts of the city is rough. There are some hidden gems (property wise) worth checking out.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:09 PM

2,171 posts, read 3,317,106 times
her's some pics: Newburgh, NY '08 - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22001166@N00/sets/72157606913585960/ - broken link)

I was just driving around the main part of the city, not looking for anything special.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:28 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
I will agree with Liberty street being rough. MSMC happens to better one of the best private schools in NY. Granted it's not in the best of locations, reason why its gated in. I'm trying to convince my oldest to applying to that school. We can all admit that Newburgh is pretty rough. However, not all parts of the city is rough. There are some hidden gems (property wise) worth checking out.
MSMC is NOT gated in. My child lived on campus-even though we are local. Even visiting, we'd see people come off the side streets and cut through campus. The lower parking lot is too secluded down by Bishop Dunn and my child wouldn't go over that way at all at night because it wasn't a place to walk safely. For what we paid-$32000 for a year-they should be gated. They spent 100 million dollars on renovations of the school. They should have bought up Liberty Street while they were at it and torn down those homes and added to the campus. Even the upper class dorms aren't gated off from the side streets-they are right ON the side streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York