Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 29,056 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be relocating from DC to West Point for work w/the Military Academy. Being from DC, I know about blighted neighborhoods turned into gems b/c of revitalization programs. It appears Newburgh might have some of the same going on. What is the status of their revitalization? Does it have teeth? This area seems like is has a beutiful location on the waterfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:16 AM

169 posts, read 419,115 times
newburgh has a great stock of houses, but nothing will happen to change that city until it is served by a transportation system that serves it effectively, be it a commuter rail connection to NY or if they put a light rail or grade separated rail on that extremely wide main street. But newburgh isn't going to change unless that happens, and given the politicians of today, probably not for a number of years. It used to thrive, back when it had the interurbans, and many prominent architects/planners, like frederick law olmstead lived there (and he designed the park).

Old 07-08-2008, 09:42 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,095,838 times
I remember Newburgh from way back..let's just say it has fallen on hard times and has real problems. People tell me it is changing, frankly I don't see it happening unless at a snail's pace. Certainly nothing that is helping the residents who need it the most there. What waterfront property there is is being sold for outrageous prices and then you have the issue of the school district, which has its own struggles. Traffic is also quite a pain lately.

Your commute to West Point would not be a good one IMO. During the winter the routes south to WP can become completely blocked and you would have to take 87 south. I know I have driven down there a few times with white knuckles due to fog or ice.

I think you will enjoy West Point. The campus is absolutely beautiful and there are wonderful views of the Hudson. I'd honestly look around in Monroe/Central Valley or consult a realtor about communities closer to the base.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York