Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:21 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times

Advertisements

Its not an editorial statement that I don't know any black people in Upstate but rather the 97-100% whiteness of most of the towns here.

Oneida is .80% black, Town of Manlius is .87% and Richfield Springs is .57%. Herkimer is fairly integrated for an Upstate town at 1.2%.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:32 AM

570 posts, read 1,340,102 times
Living in the Corning area, I have met quite a number of people who are transplants to the area from all over the world (thank you Corning Inc!). It's been my experience that most will acknowledge that this may not be the most exciting area they have ever lived in, but that it is a wonderful area for raising a family and they are glad to be living here. Of course most of the transplants I know are married with children - I'm sure it makes a difference if you are younger and single.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:40 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Its not an editorial statement that I don't know any black people in Upstate but rather the 97-100% whiteness of most of the towns here.

Oneida is .80% black, Town of Manlius is .87% and Richfield Springs is .57%. Herkimer is fairly integrated for an Upstate town at 1.2%.
According to this it is up a bit: US2010

Again, you must not know too many Black people up here, as many have come from the South within the last 50 years or less. Look at the cities and some of the suburbs for instance. My parents are from SC and Mississippi and if you were familiar with the Black community in Syracuse, many have relatively recent roots by way of Central FL, the Pee Dee region of SC, Southeastern Alabama, much of Georgia between Columbus and Savannah and others coming by way of other parts of the South. There are exceptions in terms of small towns/cities and that there have always been Black communities in Upstate NY, but many have relatively recent roots up here. An example of an area of Upstate NY that touches on a little bit of all of this are many of the small towns in Wayne, Orleans and Genesee counties where they have both long time Black residents and those that came from the South. Places like Lyons, Newark, Clyde, Sodus, Williamson, Albion, Medina, LeRoy, the Caledonia/Mumford area and a few others. This doesn't even get into immigrants/refugees of various backgrounds that are up here too.

Good point daydreamin71, as companies like Corning Inc. and the many universities and colleges attract people from outside of the state and country for employment or as students. So, I don't get where this everyone in Upstate NY is from here angle is coming from.

Small towns across the country have people that are largely from that area or state.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:52 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
I know two people from my circle of friends that went to upstate NY universities and stayed in the CNY area upon graduating. Both are quite successful. One of them is a professor at SUNY Binghamton but lives outside of Ithaca. The other supports his family on one salary, and they have a f-ton of kids, a large house, and at least 2 cars. This is a guy from NJ who will never move back because he can't have that type of lifestyle there.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:50 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:

I wouldn't consider %1.2 to be integrated, that more like a loaf of white bread with a few raisons thrown in....

Old 06-07-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I wouldn't consider %1.2 to be integrated, that more like a loaf of white bread with a few raisons thrown in....
According to this: 2010 Census Interactive Population Search
There are 345 Black folks(maybe around 400 if you count those of 2 races)out of 7743 people in Herkimer. So, it isn't too low or is enough to notice. A lot of that is probably due to Herkimer County Community College, which has a relatively high Black student population. College Navigator - Herkimer County Community College

Old 06-07-2012, 02:11 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
According to this: 2010 Census Interactive Population Search
There are 345 Black folks(maybe around 400 if you count those of 2 races)out of 7743 people in Herkimer. So, it isn't too low or is enough to notice. A lot of that is probably due to Herkimer County Community College, which has a relatively high Black student population. College Navigator - Herkimer County Community College
Herkimer town shows @9500 people w/@400 identified at African American, Herkimer County shows @62,300 total w/@700 African Americans. I still say it is a loaf of white bread with a few raisons...

.04% & .01% does not make an integrated community...

Old 06-07-2012, 04:50 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
I live in Madison County now which is far more integrated at 1.32%.

Most of the blacks that I see here live either in the projects over on Elm or the ghetto by the Byrne Dairy. Both areas are just disgusting areas. They were disgusting long before blacks moved in so it ain't them. Many were interviewed during the "race riot" last year by the Syracuse TV station. They spoke of how much better it is then Syracuse. That stunned me, for them to consider those areas better speaks volumes about Syracuse.

To the best of my knowledge, far from complete, the blacks are not a part of the crime problem here.

To be honest I knew something of the whites involved in the "race riot" and I was kinda hoping the blacks downtown would call in some hard, pipehitting bangers from Syracuse with AK's and wipe that area out.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I live in Madison County now which is far more integrated at 1.32%.

Most of the blacks that I see here live either in the projects over on Elm or the ghetto by the Byrne Dairy. Both areas are just disgusting areas. They were disgusting long before blacks moved in so it ain't them. Many were interviewed during the "race riot" last year by the Syracuse TV station. They spoke of how much better it is then Syracuse. That stunned me, for them to consider those areas better speaks volumes about Syracuse.

To the best of my knowledge, far from complete, the blacks are not a part of the crime problem here.

To be honest I knew something of the whites involved in the "race riot" and I was kinda hoping the blacks downtown would call in some hard, pipehitting bangers from Syracuse with AK's and wipe that area out.
What race riot?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Herkimer town shows @9500 people w/@400 identified at African American, Herkimer County shows @62,300 total w/@700 African Americans. I still say it is a loaf of white bread with a few raisons...

.04% & .01% does not make an integrated community...
I'm not surprised by the county numbers. Most of the Black folks in the county are in Herkimer or maybe Ilion, with the rest sprinkled throughout. While that 400 isn't a huge number, it's at least enough to know that they are there. Here are some small town high schools in Upstate NY with enough students of color to where there are enough to notice: Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Lyons Senior High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Sodus High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Clyde Junior-senior High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Newark Senior High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Newfield Senior High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Williamson Senior High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Charles D'amico High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Medina High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Canastota High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for La Fayette Junior-senior High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Stockbridge Valley Central School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Carthage Senior High School

Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Indian River High School

There are some others as well, but it the dynamics in regard to small towns and this topic will be different in comparison to regions like the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York