Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 PM

3 posts, read 21,923 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Cold Spring and I was hoping for some more input on the area. We have visited the area before and are planning a trip shortly. We are trying to get a general "feel" of the area, but I wanted to get the opinion of those who live there or have spent a lot of time there.

I lived on Long Island in my childhood and visit family there frequently. We do not currently have children, but plan to start a family in the next few years. No offense to any Long Islanders, but I would not want to raise my children there. I am glad my family moved when I was younger as there was too much crime and the attitude was generally snobby and cold. I know not all of Long Island is like this, but I just wanted to see if Cold Spring was.

It seems to meet the rest of our needs as far as home affordability, good schools, train station, etc. We really like the small town feel and I am hoping Cold Spring is far enough upstate that we won't have the attitudes of Long Island. I will occasionally have to work in Manhattan, so we don't want to go any further north than Cold Spring. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 PM

715 posts, read 2,510,490 times
This thread should help you a lot.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Old 01-05-2012, 05:18 PM

Thank you, that was a helpful post! I agree, that a lot of how children are brought up has a lot to do with their need to keep up with friends. We consider ourselves pretty down to earth and would not fit into the wealthy category you mentioned. We consider ourselves middle class and are not very materialistic, do you think we would feel incredibly out of place in Cold Spring? I am hoping we will get along with neighbors and have friends live in the area.

Thanks for your help!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM

715 posts, read 2,510,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FavoriteFishy View Post
Thank you, that was a helpful post! I agree, that a lot of how children are brought up has a lot to do with their need to keep up with friends. We consider ourselves pretty down to earth and would not fit into the wealthy category you mentioned. We consider ourselves middle class and are not very materialistic, do you think we would feel incredibly out of place in Cold Spring? I am hoping we will get along with neighbors and have friends live in the area.

Thanks for your help!
Nope, I don't think you will feel "incredibly" out of place in Cold Spring. From all that I have gathered, it is a pleasant place to live. Tight-knit community too. Naturally, you'll have some arrogant people but "friendly" is much more common.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 PM

92 posts, read 359,630 times
Not sure if this is too completely out of place for this thread, but if you want a friendly, small town, take a look at Katonah a bit farther south. I also grew up on Long Island, and Katonah is, by far, the most friendly town I have been around, possibly anywhere. I still remember the first time walking into town and cars literally stopped for us to cross the street, not even at an intersection. It was... awkward (in a good way). Plus now the people in the local coffee shop and barber know me by name... it's nice.

It's definitely a bit more expensive than Cold Spring, but if you can afford it, take a look there, or at least stop into town on your way up north. It seems like a perfect fit.

Old 01-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Thanks Dreamshot! As long as the majority of people are a tolerable level of arrogance, I think it will be okay! Thank YanksRule, I will have to take a look into Katonah. We might not have a chance to visit this trip, but there is always next time! I will be sure to do some research on the internet as well to get a feel for home prices, schools, etc.

Thanks again!

Old 02-02-2012, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 13,876 times
Living here for 6 years now I don't think it is snobby. A nice mix of different kinds of people actually (but not ethnically or racially diverse by any stretch, which is a con). There is some (mostly political) tension between old folks who have lived here forever and the slew of new folks moving in in the last decade or so--but that is largely expected with small towns in a period of influx. Everyone comes together around caring about the town, and neighbors are very nice. I would not live here if kids weren't in the picture, I'd stay in Brooklyn...the food is better...and there is more to do. But I can't think if a better place that strikes a balance between "good for kids" and good for artsy, creative, gardening, outdoorsy, collaborative, musical or other kinds of adults. It is the suburbs I guess but it doesn't have that depressing feel. And if your commute is a bit flexible, you will find many in similar situations here.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,822 times
Does anyone in Cold Spring, NY know the whereabouts of Elizabeth Villetto? Her maiden name is Feller and she has lived in Cold Spring all her life. I lost contact with her and she isn't listed anywhere.

Someone please contact me at eganr@coned.com.

Thanks, Rita (Zimmerman) Egan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York