Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 48,209 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move up the Hudson from Brooklyn and Cold Spring is one of the top contenders but I've gotten mixed messages about what the community and culture are like.

On the one hand, I've heard that CS is artsy, liberal, creative, nature-oriented, friendly, etc., which is very appealing to me.

However, I've also occasionally heard that it's very insular and wealthy, which worries me. I don't want my middle class kids to grow up feeling like their house isn't big enough and their stuff isn't nice enough, or with that general sense of competitiveness about material goods. It's one of the reasons that I'm not very interested in Westchester (plus we can't afford it). I also am not sure what people mean when they say insular...if they mean that it's a close-knit, friendly community where everyone knows each other, then I like that. If they mean that it's hard to get to know people and people look askance at outsiders, well, not so much.

Anyway, any inside advice would be most helpful. For an overview: We're a 30-something couple with two young kids and we're looking for a town with lots of liberal artists and creative folks, good schools, and a walkable downtown. Cold Spring is on the high end of what we can afford (looking for a house under 500K).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 AM

715 posts, read 2,510,490 times
I live across the river in Orange County, so I can't give you any "inside advice," but I will share what I know: It certainly fits your artsy/liberal/walkable criteria. From what I have gathered over time - everyone knows everyone here - which contributes to a close-knit community and, naturally, a general sense of nosiness. Definitely a high concentration of wealth...but I don't think your children will get the sense that they are 'inferior' to others within the community.

Also, you may wish to look into Beacon...schools are OK...some issues in the past but Beacon is generally on the upswing.

Fishkill or Wappingers are also fine options...Wappingers CSD is a good one....both are nice communities with walkable downtown areas...and close to either New Hamburg or Beacon MNRR.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:14 AM

I like the idea of Beacon, but the VERY mixed things (mostly negative) that I hear about the schools gives me pause. On the Beacon schools thread, some folks were also saying that Wappingers schools have been having problems and are on some state watch list -- is that untrue? What is Fishkill / Fishkill schools like?

Quote:
Definitely a high concentration of wealth...but I don't think your children will get the sense that they are 'inferior' to others within the community.
Can you give a little more detail? Are there also middle class / working class folks or is it more like everyone is upper middle class to wealthy? I'm sure the attitude is very different from what I think of as snobby Westchester towns (Rye, Scarsdale, etc.), but I don't want my kids constantly noticing that they have less than their friends.

Thanks for your response!!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:41 PM

All schools have some 'issues.' If you teach your children to stay away from trouble, I believe they can have a successful education just about anywhere - Beacon is no exception. I know a few people who went through Beacon without issue. Its those who get in with the wrong crowd who have problems, IMO.

The areas of Wappingers (Eastern Dutchess), Fishkill (Central Dutchess), Hopewell Junction (Western Dutchess), and the surrounding locations are combined into one unified district - Wappingers CSD. Not sure about the 'watch list' that you have heard of, but I haven't personally heard of any major issue within this district. Fishkill is quite nice. Walkable downtown, lots of shops and restaurants, brand new Gold's Gym, lots of shopping on Route 9, right on major I84, and easy access to Beacon MNRR.

I would say that the majority of Cold Spring residents are on the level of upper middle class to wealthy. Despite this, I strongly doubt that Cold Spring residents are near the level of Westchester when it comes to one-upping and keeping up with the Joneses. That being said, I would really be surprised if you had problems regarding 'your kids noticing that they have less than their friends.' Not trying to preach here, but as long as you teach them to be content with what they have and that many have much less than they do, what their friends have shouldn't matter.

Also, will you be working in NYC // trying to stay along MNRR's Hudson Line? If not, I have several other suggestions for you along the Hudson (on the other side) and along MNRR's Harlem Line...

Hope I have been of some help!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 AM

Yes, I will be working in the city at least a few days a week, so we're mostly trying to stay near Metro North. However, we're also considering New Paltz, as the bus theoretically only takes 1.5 hours, which is about the same as my commute would be from Beacon (I have to get over to the west side of midtown).

Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM

New Paltz bus may take a bit more than 1.5 hours accounting for traffic. New Paltz was going to be one of the locations that I would recommend you looking in to. Same goes for Cornwall in Orange County. Don't think you would regret moving to any of the previously mentioned locations (Cold Spring, Beacon, Wappingers/Fishkill).

Old 09-12-2011, 05:57 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,392,345 times
cold spring is fine. you say you want to spend less than 500K on the house. While you may be able to handle the mortgage for 500K be prepared for the insane taxes that will be lopped on top of your home. I may be wrong, but I think Putnam counties taxes can be higher than Westchester. Putnam county doesnt generate money from any big businesses. They get their spending money from the tax base.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:32 PM

667 posts, read 1,745,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthehudson View Post
Yes, I will be working in the city at least a few days a week, so we're mostly trying to stay near Metro North. However, we're also considering New Paltz, as the bus theoretically only takes 1.5 hours, which is about the same as my commute would be from Beacon (I have to get over to the west side of midtown).
Cold Spring is a lovely town and will hold it's value very well over time. Truth be told there are snobs in every town, rich or poor.
New Paltz is as hippy of a town as you can get in that area that I really enjoyed visiting. Lot's of great farming in teh area and more of a rural feel but with some cool restaurants and all in all a college type town. BUT that commute would be killer. I lived in Newburgh (about 20 miles closer then NP)and I can tell you that after 5 years of that commute I was exhausted---and I didnt have to commute into NYC every day.

BTW, Brooklyn itself can be snobbish, so it does come down to the circles you travel in. Regarding Beacon, it's a town with potential that has seen some changes but also very limited in resources and with a good amount of people living on or below the poverty level. Changes in the hudson valley come really, really slow. Although, if you can, you're resale is always better of on the East side of the hudson. Regarding schooling, while Dreamshot is correct about your kids just not hanging with the wrong people, personally given choices, it wouldn't be an environment I would want my kids to be in. Check out report cards for a true valuation and improvement scale. https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0200010005.pdf

School wise, CS ranks amongst the top in the state.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,713 times
My husband and I are also looking to move out of Brooklyn and are very keen to hear feedback on the school/community in Cold Spring vs. Beacon. We have two children 8 and 3 and while we are willing to go smaller for a house to be in a better school district, and like close-knit communities, we are also middle income earners and don't want to be boggled with property taxes on a $250-$350K house. The inventory in Beacon seems pretty great for what you can get and have heard it is on the upswing, I am curious what recent transplants think of the area in general, schools, commute, etc...

Old 10-05-2011, 01:53 PM

Haldane Central Schools (serving Cold Spring) is regarded as one of the best districts in the Hudson Valley. Beacon is a few notches below, but not poor by any stretch; Haldane sets the standard. I'm not sure how far 250-350K takes you in Cold Spring - but it will definitely get you places in Beacon! Brooklyn would be one hell of a commute from either of these spots, but you didn't specify where you work. If its Manhattan, you will be fine. Both Cold Spring and Beacon have MNRR stops with travel times to GCT ~1.2 and 1.3 hours, respectively (express to Beacon ~ 72 minutes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York