Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:51 PM

13 posts, read 21,545 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a similar place as you
I initially thought you were looking for swimming springs, lol

I've been trying to find any hot springs for the winter but apparently in NY there aren't any natural hot springs! Does anyone know? I just found the swimming springs now, as summer is ending.

I've never been but the pictures look beautiful, 50 miles or so from NYC sounds great too. Does anyone know who lives there or what kind of social climate you'd find? I'm unhappy where I live in Woodstock, I go in for coffee and all I hear is employees gossiping and truckers coming in. Nothing against truckers, I'd drive a truck, I'm just looking for a young arts scene or college town. I may move out of NY, I'm just so jaded and go back to a big college area I know. I was so full of hopes and dreams and I've been just smashed and exhausted by rentals. I found this big place and it was just lined to the walls with beer cans, just people who hadn't cleaned in 5 years, didn't look in the closets. It was a strange little closed pocket hamlet, outside a really nice village. Really strange situation to get into. My landlord now I'm terrified of, it's just a spinning business for him, everything's automated, they're in a rush for everything. It's not comfortable in the slightest. I'm in a temporary home in the middle of nowhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:57 PM

Cold Spring has a train right to NYC? That actually sounds really good. Here it's a bus or you drive to a train station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
As someone already stated Cold Spring is not exactly the wealthiest zip. In this day in age, the so-called snobby uptight publics are only located pretty close to the actual cities. Like in westchester, Bergen, or North shore Long Island, is were you likely find that stereotype.

In a place like Cold Spring, anyone who may fit that stereotype most likely goes to a private school somewhere. Because Cold Spring isnt exactly the wealthiest of zip codes.

It is nice little town. It feels like something you can only find further upstate away from the Northeast Corridor. But it is close enough to NYC to not make day trips a real hassle. There is a trains station in town to take you in as well.

By the way there is a phenomenal BBQ place called Round Up Texas BBQ. It is located on Albany Post Rd ( Rte 9) and Rte 301. Their Brisket is to die for.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post

Beacon is handsdown the Mid Hudson Valley's center for the arts at this point, a very nice downtown with cute shops, restaurants, antique and art galleries, and although not yet as prettied up as Cold Spring, it has middle-class neighborhoods that are very family/kid oriented, with moderately priced homes, many within walking distance of Main St, the train and the waterfront. The schools in Beacon aren't on par with Cold Spring's, but aren't bad either. Beacon's population is much more diverse than the surrounding towns and there are pockets of poverty, but things have been improving steadily and isn't anything that should dissuade you. I'm in the midst of moving out of the state right now, but if I were to sell this money pit of mine across the river and stay in NY, I'd seriously consider a move to Beacon.

I wonder if Beacon is like a Dumbo, Brooklyn type place, how it was 5 or 10 years ago.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:01 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times
i remember back in the early 80s a cold springs homes i was looking at was only $80k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York