Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:12 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,003 times

Advertisements

I have a chance to move to Cold Spring, NY, an area I've always loved. I work full-time in Manhattan. I can also move to Bergen County, close to the GW Bridge, which would be a much easier commute for me. But I'm torn between being practical and living in a congested, polluted area (NJ) and living in a beautiful, scenic (maybe equally polluted) area but with a longer commute. Can anyone relate to this type of dilemma and what's been your decision in cases such as this? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
Unhappy Commuting Ducks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
I have a chance to move to Cold Spring, NY, an area I've always loved. I work full-time in Manhattan. I can also move to Bergen County, close to the GW Bridge, which would be a much easier commute for me. But I'm torn between being practical and living in a congested, polluted area (NJ) and living in a beautiful, scenic (maybe equally polluted) area but with a longer commute. Can anyone relate to this type of dilemma and what's been your decision in cases such as this? Thanks.
Although Cold Spring might be beautiful......take it from me and every commuter out there...Commuting Ducks......and after you have been doing it for several weeks/months/years...you will agree...I could go on and on about it...but until you live it - sitting in traffic - can't get home do to the weather - etc......you will have no idea of how much it really ducks......

Old 12-27-2008, 07:06 AM

Rusty, I'd be on the train so wouldn't be in traffic.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:36 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,216,657 times
OPPS...Since you will be commuting by train I would consider downloading the tax forms for the state of NJ and filling them out to see what it would cost you to live in NJ...I would also do the same for NY...ie...I work in NY and my wife works in NJ...for the privilege of her being allowed to work in NJ...my NY salary is taxed by the state of NJ...perhaps a bit off track...but it is something you might want to consider before signing a lease...

Old 12-27-2008, 09:39 AM

thanks--that's something to consider too.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:06 PM

57 posts, read 243,982 times
doesn't get much better than cold spring in this part of the world. i'd do it, if you can swing it

Old 12-29-2008, 01:26 AM

10 posts, read 21,510 times
Yea well I Live in Cold Spring. I retired from the NYPD and Built a house. They will TAX you out of your shoes in this town. Dont worry if the school budget doesent pass. They will just have another vote. Lets get some New superexpensive computers to replace the good computers we already have. One of the politicins here said about the elderly and the taxes. "If they cant afford to live here they should move" 60 percent of the rich will drive out 40 percent of the working class out of this town i am sure. So If your a Wall street Criminal, Banker, Plastic Surgeon . Welcome aboard. You will Probably be livin in my house in 5 years.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:39 AM

Pebo99, I am not rich and not even a homeowner. I am a renter with 2 jobs. So please don't assume those things because I'm moving from NY. I am considering it because it's beautiful and I found a beautiful apartment with more space. I'm having a hard time finding anything in lower Westchester that I can afford and I love the river. Don't assume all NYers are rich. Also, check your spelling.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:51 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,293 times
We had the same dilema when we moved out of NYC. We looked in lower Westchester, which we thought was too dense and suburban, and northern Westchester, which we loved. But the commute to the northern areas was 10-20 minutes more, so we were a little unsure. In the end I did some practice runs of the commute and felt that it would be fine. 8 years later, I am thrilled with where we live--and the commute is fine. The train ride down the Hudson is awesome and the trains are quiet and comy. Once you're on a train, an extra 10 minutes is irrelevant. So that's my ten cents...

Old 01-07-2009, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,697 times
Commuted for years on the Hudson line and walked a mile to the train station every day in Cold Spring, and didn't mind it a bit. Daydreaming out the window looking at the river is a great way to start (and end) the day!....and coming home to Cold Spring was a breath of fresh air (literally! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York