Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I posted this earlier under the NY forum as this is a statewide issue. The forum members who have commented would like to cut downstate loose from NY. They tend to feel we are the cause of this.
OMG!

You called us "ding-a-lings!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 02:05 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLists09 View Post
The Analysis section on New York is not real pretty. I didn't even know this:

"Eminent domain abuse is rampant and unchecked."

I don't recall seeing any stories on its abuse in New York.
Really? Every time they take someone's property to extend a highway or take property to build some kind of "public" facility. A great example is when they enlarged Sunrise Hwy. They displaced a ton of businesses.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:17 PM

158 posts, read 379,615 times
Another example is SUNY taking over the Gyrodyne property.

Matt

Old 06-15-2011, 02:19 PM

330 posts, read 726,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I thought of daveoliva when I read that.
Nice.

And it's not just us downstaters that are to blame for NY unfreedom. Upstate NY has more than it's fair share of regulations regarding building in the form of unbelievably restrictive environmental regulations. In the NYC watershed, don't even think about building (even the NYC DEP guy I spoke to was astounded by the stupidity, for instance, you're not allowed to use a composting toilet as your waste disposal). In the Catskills, you'll get a automatic weapon permit in Brooklyn before you get approval to build new construction (note all the "Former site of Town XYZ" signs as you drive within park boundaries). In the Adirondack park boundaries, that's not your land, it's state land so you can't use it, but you can still pay taxes on it.

Each little town outside of the parks has their own restrictive building codes, mostly based on the UN international building codes. The impression us downstaters get of upstate is that it's more lax, that's not the case. I've spoken to dozens of code enforcement officers in an attempt to find a suitable piece of land for what I want to do, and they are incredibly strict, with one or two exceptions.

Do some research on the Wildlands Project and UN Agenda 21. What you'll find is disturbing at best.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Oh. lol. Well to give myself a little defense, I'm not from the city so these things never really touched my life in any way. Are there any Long Island examples?
Google is indeed our friend, my friend!!!!

Projects associated with eminent domain

Old 06-15-2011, 02:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Nice.

And it's not just us downstaters that are to blame for NY unfreedom. Upstate NY has more than it's fair share of regulations regarding building in the form of unbelievably restrictive environmental regulations. In the NYC watershed, don't even think about building (even the NYC DEP guy I spoke to was astounded by the stupidity, for instance, you're not allowed to use a composting toilet as your waste disposal). In the Catskills, you'll get a automatic weapon permit in Brooklyn before you get approval to build new construction (note all the "Former site of Town XYZ" signs as you drive within park boundaries). In the Adirondack park boundaries, that's not your land, it's state land so you can't use it, but you can still pay taxes on it.

Each little town outside of the parks has their own restrictive building codes, mostly based on the UN international building codes. The impression us downstaters get of upstate is that it's more lax, that's not the case. I've spoken to dozens of code enforcement officers in an attempt to find a suitable piece of land for what I want to do, and they are incredibly strict, with one or two exceptions.

Do some research on the Wildlands Project and UN Agenda 21. What you'll find is disturbing at best.
And I meant that in a complimentary way.

Actually, we discussed this a couple of months back ... Agenda 21 is quite interesting.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:33 PM

150 posts, read 297,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Google is indeed our friend, my friend!!!!

Projects associated with eminent domain
Enjoy my boon of reputation.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Oh. lol. Well to give myself a little defense, I'm not from the city so these things never really touched my life in any way. Are there any Long Island examples?

Gyrodyne, St James, NY.

Most of the property (over 225 acres) was seized though ED by SUNY in 2004 or 2005

The State has yet to pay the property owners and has previously made several offers considerably less than the value of the land at the time it was seized.
Meanwhile, SUNY has been developing the property and has brought in tenants.

An offer has been recently received, but not yet accepted.

Gyrodyne in Receipt of Written Offer for Flowerfield Property from the... -- re> ST. JAMES, N.Y., Oct. 31 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

Old 06-15-2011, 02:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
OMG!

You called us "ding-a-lings!"
Only the ding-a-lings of which we are surrounded by a fair number.

There are some real humdingers out there.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:45 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I posted this earlier under the NY forum as this is a statewide issue. The forum members who have commented would like to cut downstate loose from NY. They tend to feel we are the cause of this.
Oh!!! Fly free, our upstate rebels!! But only if you take Albany and all the politicians with you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York