Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:33 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,193 times

Advertisements

Again I took the trip from my home in Long Island to Central New York, and all I can say is what a beautiful state. So many people think of New York as New York City, but there is so much more. I left my home on Long Island, where I live a couple of minutes from miles and miles of beautiful beaches. I cut through New York City, which no doubt is the greatest city in the world. Crowded, yes, congested, yes but it is an incredible city, where I have worked for the last 25 years. It is the city that never sleeps. I headed over the Tappanzee bridge to the Hudson Valley where suburbanites experience a touch of country, the Hudson River and the foot hills of the Catskill mountains. I then took route 17 through the Catskills where the road just winds for nearly 200 miles through of some of the most gorgeous mountains side. Fly fisherman could be seen standing creekside along the entire route, while log cabins with smokey chimineys speckle the landscape. Just north of Binghamtom I take route 81 north toward Syracuse. This roadway overlooks a very pictureque pattern of farms, silos, and red barns. Small country villages can be seen with tall white steeples in the center of each village. This stretch of road is absolutely breath taking, my wife calls is patch-work quilt and says it reminds her of a post card. I exit off to reach my little retreat on one of the Finger Lakes. The view is spectacular and inspiring. I look at the landscape and I look forward the seasons. I look forward to swimming and fishing, I look forward to the brilliant colors of fall and then the frozen tranquility of winter with snow blanketing the rolling hills.
New York State is about diversity, in its people and it's geography, from the life style of a trendy Mahattan couple to the farmer who tends to over a hundred acres of land. From beach side bungalows to the hunting lodges in the mountains. All this, with out even mentioning some of New Yorks most exciting places, like Niagara Falls, Rochester, The Adirondacks, Lake George, Saratoga Springs, Buffalo, Ithaca and so on. Sorry to ramble but these are the thought that went through my mind after five hours of travel in New York State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2006, 08:28 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,382 times
Hi GlenNY, Please let me be the first to tell you how much I enjoyed that tantalizing description of New York State. -So wonderful!- We are trying not to wish our lives away, but at the same time, we yearn for the chance to experience all that you have so graciously shared. Like much in life, we cannot know for sure WHEN our chance will present itself. It's funny, this banter between myself and New Yorkers (like yourself), seem to make the waiting a little more tolerable. I guess it makes it feel "more real"- if you will. I (and my husband) just finished this book called, "It Takes a Village Idiot"... It was written by a successful writer (Jim Mullen-Entertainment Weekly) from Manhattan that ended up (after much resistance) moving to the Catskills... and well... I won't spoil it just in case you want to read it. Anyway, it's a very enjoyable piece of satire based on his life experience. I wonder if you've read it. I wonder if you and your wife would enjoy it? I have a sneaky feeling that you may. Our family won't know for sure if NY is a sure thing for a few months yet. We have our sights set on it and are so excited and anxious to be a part of all you wrote about. And so, thank you again.I'm sure, as the weeks go by, I will be begging for more inside information. Thanks for being so forthcoming and you are sooo lucky!!!

Old 06-11-2006, 09:26 PM

12 posts, read 84,615 times
Hi Glen

My partner and I are coming to New York in just 18 days, your description is just whetting my appetitie to get there. We arrive at JFK on Friday and i'm hoping our agent can arrange some sort of transport to Rochester for that night. Otherwise we will stay in the city until Sat morning and then trot our there (that bit i am not sure of!)

At the moment we are in the first month of our winter - it has been cold! (our max temperatures for the next few days range from ........13 - 16 degrees Celcius) I know you are laughing because i have been reading the posts about NY winters and how much snow they get in winter!

Old 06-16-2006, 06:34 PM

436 posts, read 681,163 times
Default New York

GlenNY - I couldn't agree more. When NY comes up in conversation and someone says, "I don't like big cities" I just groan. I rented on 78th & 3rd in NYC, and I lived just outside Woodstock, NY. NY is a wonderful place with so much to offer. I'm thinking of moving back if I can afford something modest. I h-a-t-e Arizona, it is the antithesis of life.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:53 PM

36 posts, read 194,676 times
brian_2 - where do you live in AZ and what's it like out there?
I've never been there but some said they like the desert heat.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen NY
Again I took the trip from my home in Long Island to Central New York, and all I can say is what a beautiful state. So many people think of New York as New York City, but there is so much more. I left my home on Long Island, where I live a couple of minutes from miles and miles of beautiful beaches. I cut through New York City, which no doubt is the greatest city in the world. Crowded, yes, congested, yes but it is an incredible city, where I have worked for the last 25 years. It is the city that never sleeps. I headed over the Tappanzee bridge to the Hudson Valley where suburbanites experience a touch of country, the Hudson River and the foot hills of the Catskill mountains. I then took route 17 through the Catskills where the road just winds for nearly 200 miles through of some of the most gorgeous mountains side. Fly fisherman could be seen standing creekside along the entire route, while log cabins with smokey chimineys speckle the landscape. Just north of Binghamtom I take route 81 north toward Syracuse. This roadway overlooks a very pictureque pattern of farms, silos, and red barns. Small country villages can be seen with tall white steeples in the center of each village. This stretch of road is absolutely breath taking, my wife calls is patch-work quilt and says it reminds her of a post card. I exit off to reach my little retreat on one of the Finger Lakes. The view is spectacular and inspiring. I look at the landscape and I look forward the seasons. I look forward to swimming and fishing, I look forward to the brilliant colors of fall and then the frozen tranquility of winter with snow blanketing the rolling hills.
New York State is about diversity, in its people and it's geography, from the life style of a trendy Mahattan couple to the farmer who tends to over a hundred acres of land. From beach side bungalows to the hunting lodges in the mountains. All this, with out even mentioning some of New Yorks most exciting places, like Niagara Falls, Rochester, The Adirondacks, Lake George, Saratoga Springs, Buffalo, Ithaca and so on. Sorry to ramble but these are the thought that went through my mind after five hours of travel in New York State.
A-men. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:53 AM

Default iheart - My response

I have talked about AZ elsewhere on this thread. If you're from NY, and on the fence about moving to AZ - rent out here awhile first. I'd suggest Prescott (not Prescott Valley!), the Flagstaff area, Sedona, Village of Oak Creek, Oak Creek Canyon or a Jerome rental - and I'd rent a minimum of one year to get an idea of the lifestyle. Prescott (pronounced Pres-kit, not Pres-cot) is popular with transplants (especially Cali equity cash-outters) from all over (and the traffic during the day attests to that). Prescott has a decent infastructure, is a pretty area with Buttes and lots of decomposing granite (get a radon test if buying), but not really any decent selection of restaurants yet. Prescott, like all of central to N. AZ, has a good core of redneck people with redneck attitudes - but of course they have a right to their attitudes, and a lot of them are natives who've had to see outsiders come in and ***** things up in AZ. In Flagstaff (Flag to locals) you're a reasonable drive to the Grand Canyon which is a plus, and you have a real winter, and the summer is not unbearable like 4/5ths of the state. Sedona is a tourist based economy which has decent places to eat, great places to hike, but the real draw is the location amongst those red rocks. Sedona & The Village of Oak Creek (The Village to locals), and Oak Creek Canyon are fairly close to each other. The drive from Sedona north to Flag through Oak Creek Canyon is stunning, and Slide Rock State Park is a big attraction to people all over the US. There are several reputable agencies in Prescott & Sedona from which to rent a condo/home/etc. Although some will razz me, I'd say avoid anything else in AZ unless you like podunk places, retiree communities that aren't really communities in any real sense of the word, survivalist/gun enthusiasts (I'm not knocking homeowners possessing a gun for family protection - that's a right as an American, I'm uncomfortable with people who spend an inordinate amount of time and money arming themselves with many firearms, spending inordinate time/money firing them, possessing assault weapons and/or modifying firarms to optimize the destructive effects - I'm sorry but in my mind that makes me question someone's mental health), intense heat, poor air quality, traffic (although it can be so-so in the places I've mentioned - it's not at the level of a big urban sprawl area like PHX. You're more fortunate that most people if you can afford the places I've mentioned, but if you could buy in one of these places - why aren't you looking at the central coast of Cali instead??

Last edited by brian_2; 06-18-2006 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-03-2006, 02:47 PM

..left out Payson! Another AZ area that is liveable.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:05 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,102 times
Did you make it as far as Letchworth State Park? beautiful! Gorges and waterfalls, horseback rides and picnics, pools and camping...just beautiful!

Old 07-04-2006, 05:20 PM

Heard good things about it, never got there. Really know nothing of the Rochester area. If you're ever near New Paltz during April - Sept, be sure and visit Mohonk Mountain House and grounds - awesome place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York