Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:39 PM

7 posts, read 14,105 times

Advertisements

Currently, I live in Raleigh, NC and am a senior in High School. I have visited NYC twice and I absolutely love it. I am probably going to go to North Carolina State University next year and study finance or accounting or business management - something business related. After that, I want to move up to NYC for a few years. I am very interested in real estate and want to get rich doing something business related - I really tend to aim for the skies. Currently reading donald trump book I love that stuff.

Anyways, wondering what I should do even now to prepare myself for NYC.
Would it be possible to live in Manhattan with an accounting/other related business job right out of college or is that just not even on the rader (what about with a roommate?)?

What do I need to do financially and how expensive is rent really?

And are my aims for real estate buying too lofty I have no idea.

What are good ways to make $$ business related in NYC (how easy is it to get a business job for someone right out of college)?

thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:53 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,866,671 times
my boy toy makes 6 figures i finance. however he went to a really really good school. he also works like 80 hours a week. he lives in a beautiful apartment by central park that is a HUGE 3 bedroom. He works for a smaller comany and his roommates work for a large firm and are often out the door at 6m and home at 11pm. They also go in on sudays sometimes...

its a tough field and you have to be commited and believe me you are going to be competing with the best of the best

Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 PM

477 posts, read 1,411,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadblkx View Post
Currently, I live in Raleigh, NC and am a senior in High School. I have visited NYC twice and I absolutely love it. I am probably going to go to North Carolina State University next year and study finance or accounting or business management - something business related. After that, I want to move up to NYC for a few years. I am very interested in real estate and want to get rich doing something business related - I really tend to aim for the skies. Currently reading donald trump book I love that stuff.

Would it be possible to live in Manhattan with an accounting/other related business job right out of college or is that just not even on the rader (what about with a roommate?)?

What are good ways to make $$ business related in NYC (how easy is it to get a business job for someone right out of college)?

thanks guys
I know it seems like forever before you get here, but the fact that you won't be able to come here for at least 4 years I believe is going to work in your favor.
The job market here is so bad right now that if you were graduating college at this point I would say forget it unless you gain some experience at the very least.
However, 4 years from now when you graduate, who knows what the economy will be like, there may be plenty of jobs to be had, who knows. I would make sure that you get good grades in your classes, save as much money as you possibly can, and maybe in the last summer before graduation you can land some sort of internship here. Most of these types of internships are unpaid, but it will help you network and possibly get your foot in the door. Because you are not getting paid, you will need to have a few thousand set aside just to live here for that summer.
Good luck!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:02 PM

784 posts, read 2,736,061 times
Quote:

thanks guys
You want to work in real estate / finance in NYC?

You need to go to a better school than NC State buddy. You want to be like Trump, right? Well he went to Wharton and graduated first in his class, why aren't you going there? Do you not have the grades / drive, or are you like every other 18 year old high schooler who wants to get rich but is too lazy to work for it? Or is it both?

As it stands right now, there is little to no chance that a student from NC State is getting a high-powered job in NYC when he's competing with Harvard, Princeton, etc. You need to get a 4.0 at NC State and transfer as soon as you can.

It's good that you are planning ahead, and it's better to hear this now from me than when you are a senior in college getting rejected by 99.99% of the Wall Street firms in NYC because you were part of the wolfpack.

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 11-17-2009 at 09:18 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
You want to work in real estate / finance in NYC?

You need to go to a better school than NC State buddy. You want to be like Trump, right? Well he went to Wharton and graduated first in his class, why aren't you going there? Do you not have the grades / drive, or are you like every other 18 year old high schooler who wants to get rich but is too lazy to work for it? Or is it both?

As it stands right now, there is little to no chance that a student from NC State is getting a high-powered job in NYC when he's competing with Harvard, Princeton, etc. You need to get a 4.0 at NC State and transfer as soon as you can.

It's good that you are planning ahead, and it's better to hear this now from me than when you are a senior in college getting rejected by 99.99% of the Wall Street firms in NYC because of your alma mater.
Ok, but financially I cannot go to a place better than NC State. Their business school is actually very good for what it is (I do realize it is nothing like wharton etc.). So, I am just wondering what type of job I could get with a degree like this in NYC. It is my dream to live in NYC and work up the ladder or start real estate. My uncle got a job as a CPA in NYC from NC state (not right out of college, though) and did VERY well. Just wondering if there is any business related job I oculd get.

I do realize it is a longshot, but I would love it. Just want to be prepared.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Ok, but financially I cannot go to a place better than NC State. Their business school is actually very good for what it is (I do realize it is nothing like wharton etc.). So, I am just wondering what type of job I could get with a degree like this in NYC. It is my dream to live in NYC and work up the ladder or start real estate. My uncle got a job as a CPA in NYC from NC state (not right out of college, though) and did VERY well. Just wondering if there is any business related job I oculd get.

I do realize it is a longshot, but I would love it. Just want to be prepared.
I work on Wall Street and I am just telling you what you need to do. You see the guy that OhioGirl22 described? There is no way that an accountant would be able to have that type of apartment / $$.

If you want to work as an accountant, you will not be making enough to even live in Manhattan. I'll tell you what's going to probably happen. You'll take a $45K / yr job as a staff accountant, barely making enough to live in Brooklyn. You'll hate your job because it is monotonous and eventually you'll want to go back to get your MBA. A lot of my friends who went to third or fourth tier schools currently live this life. You'll want to get a top-10 MBA, from Harvard / Wharton / etc, otherwise it's a waste of money.

The real $$ made in the NYC finance industry - is not made by accountants. It is made by Investment Bankers & Traders, and most of them went to very elite schools...Not from schools like NC State. Real Estate guys? Most of them went to Wharton - they have their own real estate program over there. So again, I say try to transfer after 1-2 years, but you must have a 4.0. Elite schools offer a lot of financial aid.

Hell you could be a real estate broker, but you don't need college for that. And that's not where the big $$ is made in real estate either.

Yes, some accountants do make good $$. But they need to pass their CPA, and have a sizeable client base first. Or they could work their way up at a Big 4 (which, by the way, only hire from elite schools if you are a guy. If you are a hot chick they'll hire you if you can breathe). Either way you look at it, a 30-year old trader on Wall Street could make as much (or even more) as a 40-45 year old partner at PWC or Ernst & Young.

And I don't know anything about your uncle...but you have to realize that what's considered "very good" money in NC / many parts of America is just middle class in NYC...

Last edited by NYCAnalyst; 11-17-2009 at 09:36 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 09:33 PM

So, other than accounting, what road should I take? I am very interested in stocks, etc. as well and anything entrepreneurial really.

I do agree that it would be monotonous but i was going to aim towards my CPA. I am worried my grades will not be good enough to get me into one of those top tier schools.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
So, other than accounting, what road should I take? I am very interested in stocks, etc. as well and anything entrepreneurial really.

I do agree that it would be monotonous but i was going to aim towards my CPA. I am worried my grades will not be good enough to get me into one of those top tier schools.
If you are worried your grades won't get you into one of those elite schools, you probably won't be able to hack it on Wall Street. If you do well in NC State, ace your GMAT, and have good work experience you could go to an elite MBA school.

You could be a broker for hedge funds - it's what it sounds like, you trade for them during the day, and after work the company pays you to get prospective clients drunk and bring in new business. Obviously you have to be a very social person but that's about it. If you are a hot blond and/or can hold your liquor you'd be good at this. If you're good you could easily make 6 figures but it depends on who wants to trade with you. You won't make hundreds of millions like Andrew Hall and John Paulson. You don't need to know accounting for this.

Being an accountant is very boring. I've never met an accountant who enjoys what he / she does. However if you get your CPA you can start your own practice. That's pretty entrepreneurial.

I would advise you to talk to career services once you get to NC State. They may have some leads for excellent internships. Of course there are guys not from elite schools who are traders (more common) or investment bankers (not as common), but that is the exception and not the rule. More often than not they knew someone to get in. For example they babysat for one of the head traders at Barclays while in high school, or something of the sort.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 PM

So I could possibly major in something like business management? NC State offers accounting, econ, and gen. business degree. Then I could minor in accounting and try to get my CPA? I agree that I would not like accounting long term.

Obviously, I am not quite sure what I want to do, the business scene just intrigues me as well as NYC overall.

what did you major in and where did you go to school if you dont mind me asking? What do you do now?

Old 11-17-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
So I could possibly major in something like business management? NC State offers accounting, econ, and gen. business degree. Then I could minor in accounting and try to get my CPA? I agree that I would not like accounting long term.

Obviously, I am not quite sure what I want to do, the business scene just intrigues me as well as NYC overall.
IMO, Business Management is a Mod cut: language major. You can major in it if you want, but don't be surprised if you don't get any decent offers after graduation. There is no computational finance degree at NC State? If you're not doing Sales, Wall Street is very highly math-based. Hell, even the Sales guys have to have a vague idea of what they're selling. Major in something that's at least somewhat quantitative (such as Econ and/or Math).

You need to figure out what you want to do first (as a career) and then see how you can get there. Why do you want to get your CPA if you think accounting is monotonous and you don't want to do it long term? You want to do it short term? And then what?

FYI, I'd say over 90% of the under-30 crowd in the NYC business (I-Banking, Trading, etc) scene went to some sort of elite school, or knew someone to get in. Accountants are not part of the NYC business scene for the most part. I went to Carnegie Mellon, double majored in Information Systems and Business. Now I work as a financial analyst at a brokerage firm. It's pretty boring and I'm looking to either (1) get transferred (2) get another job or (3) go to MBA school.

Last edited by Viralmd; 11-18-2009 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: