Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,850,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
That's the way it is, yes! But you should really worry about the super hot sales girl (who only works there because of her looks...you know this happens) "working" late nights and weekends with him

[SIZE=3]LMAO I would never even think of that! Also it was at his old work, which doesn’t exist/was bought out lol. Judging by the spread sheets he shows me and his “excitement” when we are actually together I think there is nothing to worry about.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,893,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadblkx View Post
so you're saying "as is" (unless I somehow get into princeton etc. and pull good grades) I basically have NO shot of a life in NYC??
Everything NYCanalyst is saying has an element of truth in it, but it is a bit exaggerated. You can get your foot in the door with a degree from NC State, the point is to be 4.0 and absolutely exceptional. Do more research than citydata and you'll get a better picture of what finance is like.

I agree that your best course of action would be to get a 4.0 for your first year, then apply to transfer to HYP at some point during your second year. There are better sites than this one for information on how to do that effectively.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:46 PM

784 posts, read 2,732,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Everything NYCanalyst is saying has an element of truth in it, but it is a bit exaggerated. You can get your foot in the door with a degree from NC State, the point is to be 4.0 and absolutely exceptional. Do more research than citydata and you'll get a better picture of what finance is like.

I agree that your best course of action would be to get a 4.0 for your first year, then apply to transfer to HYP at some point during your second year. There are better sites than this one for information on how to do that effectively.
Yes...I agree with that. (I always tend to exaggerate things...that way others can aim high!)

Old 11-18-2009, 01:47 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,456,592 times
One thing to remember is that Donald Trump was born into a real estate development family, so he grew up in the business. He struck out on his own with risky deals when parts of Manhattan were undervalued, but that's not the case with the same areas in which he first began, as there are few blighted areas of Midtown in which to create a similar paradigm. Taking the old, run-down Commodore Hotel, and turning it into the Grand Hyatt, with participation from the chain's owners, was a bold and visionary move, but now the dust is settling on real estate in the city from the last boom. Real estate can be a good business, but it may not be the trophy properties in Manhattan to which one should be applying their main focus right now.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM

15,609 posts, read 15,743,509 times
These days, I have the feeling that the single best thing you could do to prepare is to try your damnedest to get a summer internship in Manhattan during your college summers. I don't know what ones would be available in your field, but that's up to you to find out. This will be invaluable in terms of making contacts, as well as giving your something great to put on your resume. Of course everyone is right that an Ivy League degree is great, but that's no reason to give up - although when you first show up here, it may not be the best idea to just strut in and announce that you want to be rich.

And of course kids can live here right after college. Tons do.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:10 PM

477 posts, read 1,408,628 times
Like the above poster and I said in a previous post, getting a summer internship here is going to be the best way to get your foot in the door before graduation. I would make sure that your grades are stellar, and try to do anything that would make your application stand out. I think you should also find out if your school can help you find an internship or if they have any alumni connections. Another option would be to get a job in raleigh with a company who has a NYC office and try to transfer after a year or so.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:43 PM

7 posts, read 14,095 times
Yeah, maybe after my freshman or sophomore years I could try to get an internship in NYC. NC State might even pay my rent, I have heard that they sometimes do that.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,363,762 times
Couple thoughts:
1. Do you have the grades to get into UNC? If you have to go to state school, at least go to the competitive one in your home state. UNC is at least a well-regarded state school. NC-State is not.
2. Major in Finance and Econ, if you want a second major. Do not pursue accounting. That's taking your father's advice.
3. Get a kick-ass GPA, develop strong leadership and social skills. Employers do not just hire on grades.
4. Network your tail off to get a finance internship in Charlotte between your soph and jr years. BOA's I-banking still has a big office in Charlotte.
5. Use that internship to get your foot in the door for a jr year summer internship in Manhattan.
6. Be aware that being a summer analyst in NYC means you are expected to work like a dog and party like an animal. Oh, and you're being judged the whole summer to see if you make the cut.
You will have to work extra hard because NC schools are not on the college recruting circuit for banks like Wharton, Harvard, etc.
7. Be damn good at your job and be willing to sacrifice going home for holidays, taking more than 3-5 unconsecutive vacation days a year, having a relationship until you reach VP-level (age 28-35). They will cancel your vacations, call you in on Christmas Day, etc. They OWN you. But, hey, you'll be wearing Gucci loafers, have a sweet downtown apartment you barely sleep in, and more money in the bank than you have time to spend. That is, if your stress levels don't lead to an early heart attack at 40.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:40 PM

784 posts, read 2,732,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Couple thoughts:
1. Do you have the grades to get into UNC? If you have to go to state school, at least go to the competitive one in your home state. UNC is at least a well-regarded state school. NC-State is not.
2. Major in Finance and Econ, if you want a second major. Do not pursue accounting. That's taking your father's advice.
3. Get a kick-ass GPA, develop strong leadership and social skills. Employers do not just hire on grades.
4. Network your tail off to get a finance internship in Charlotte between your soph and jr years. BOA's I-banking still has a big office in Charlotte.
5. Use that internship to get your foot in the door for a jr year summer internship in Manhattan.
6. Be aware that being a summer analyst in NYC means you are expected to work like a dog and party like an animal. Oh, and you're being judged the whole summer to see if you make the cut.
You will have to work extra hard because NC schools are not on the college recruting circuit for banks like Wharton, Harvard, etc.
7. Be damn good at your job and be willing to sacrifice going home for holidays, taking more than 3-5 unconsecutive vacation days a year, having a relationship until you reach VP-level (age 28-35). They will cancel your vacations, call you in on Christmas Day, etc. They OWN you. But, hey, you'll be wearing Gucci loafers, have a sweet downtown apartment you barely sleep in, and more money in the bank than you have time to spend. That is, if your stress levels don't lead to an early heart attack at 40.
Yeah baby. I agree with all 7 points. If NC St doesn't have a finance major, major in Econ and Math. And at the bare minimum, you need a 3.8 to be considered! (But obviously aim for a 4.0)

Bank of America, and Wachovia (if they still exist in NC) are good places to start.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 PM

201 posts, read 389,740 times
Here's a little encouragement for you....one of my good friends graduated from UNC a few years ago & got into the analyst program at Citi. He lived with a roommate in Hoboken for the first year, but moved into Manhattan after that year & got a small (maybe 550 sq ft) one bedroom of his own in Hell's Kitchen. Not everyone has to make six figures to be able to live in the city if you budget right & don't have a lot of debt that you need to pay back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: