Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,658 times

Advertisements

This upcoming school year I will be a high school senior and am having a very hard time finding a job. I have never worked before, and figured i should start now since I will have significantly less classes than before. What places would be willing to hire? I am 17 by the way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 02:44 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,403,783 times
Have you considered work study through your school. Fast foods are always willing to hire, as well as malls. Everyone is having a hard time finding a job in this economy. My nephew applied to so many places over the summer, he is now being called by so many places once the college kids went back to school. Keep at it, you'll land something soon enough.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,792,078 times
Now is the time to look at P/T retail sales positions. Summer staff is leaving to go back to college and holiday hiring is set to begin. Depending on how the season goes, retail jobs should be good upwards of New Years. The more upscale the area the better the chance to find a job there. Think winter sales oriented ( office supply stores, big retailers).

Old 08-26-2009, 02:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,404,063 times
Now is not the time to look for a job. I have 5 years in my field and I have been looking for a year and a half already. There is nothing, this country is out of money and can't pay people.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,263,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manormortal View Post
This upcoming school year I will be a high school senior and am having a very hard time finding a job. I have never worked before, and figured i should start now since I will have significantly less classes than before. What places would be willing to hire? I am 17 by the way
McD's would probably be the best bet. Also back in the day when I was growing up, Old Navy and Foot Locker liked hiring young kids a lot. I don't know if that is the case still. In NYC unfortunately a lot of times you'll be competing with much older people for these jobs, and in this economy that is even worse.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:12 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,066,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Now is not the time to look for a job. I have 5 years in my field and I have been looking for a year and a half already. There is nothing, this country is out of money and can't pay people.
That would be a sign that it is time to change your career path. People do it all of the time. The days of working at the same job for a very long time or even in the same profession are long gone. The excuse that the economy is tough can only last so long.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,404,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
That would be a sign that it is time to change your career path. People do it all of the time. The days of working at the same job for a very long time or even in the same profession are long gone. The excuse that the economy is tough can only last so long.
I'm not disagreeing, but then I would probably need to get an MBA. Bought a home last year...I don't have the money for a mortgage and tuition.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,480,099 times
I would steer clear of any fast food jobs. The hours are ridiculous, the pay is low, and they treat you horribly.

You should look into call center work ---- customer service, order taking, telemarketing, collections. You could even look into working for one of those Town Car companies as a customer service rep setting up reservations.

Not sure what you're chosen career path would be, but how about hotels? You have the Brooklyn Marriott --- maybe you can be a desk clerk?

Don't get stuck in those traditional "kid" jobs. You're not going to work in McDs for the long run, so you're better off working someplace where you'll make a decent wage, work in decent conditions, and get some real life experience under your belt.

Good luck!!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,263,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I would steer clear of any fast food jobs. The hours are ridiculous, the pay is low, and they treat you horribly.

You should look into call center work ---- customer service, order taking, telemarketing, collections. You could even look into working for one of those Town Car companies as a customer service rep setting up reservations.

Not sure what you're chosen career path would be, but how about hotels? You have the Brooklyn Marriott --- maybe you can be a desk clerk?

Don't get stuck in those traditional "kid" jobs. You're not going to work in McDs for the long run, so you're better off working someplace where you'll make a decent wage, work in decent conditions, and get some real life experience under your belt.

Good luck!!!!
Not bad advice but the reality is a lot of those jobs you mentioned although they are considered entry level jobs, employers a lot of times still prefer to hire experienced people. I agree the OP should aim high but in this economy a dose of reality or at least having a backup plan (i.e fast food or retail) would be smart. This job more than likely will not go on the resume so the important thing is that it's available and it's an honest paycheck.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,480,099 times
Speaking of resumes, do you have one ManorMortal? Even if you have no true work experience, you can still create a resume. Here's a link to the NYS Dept of Labor web page that gives advice and direction on resume writing: New York State Department of Labor - write

If you need more info/advice, I'm sure there are many people on this forum who would be willing to offer up good info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: