Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:24 AM

185 posts, read 648,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Simple question.Seriously ,would you go into some of the most dangerous situations, in the most dangerous areas of the city, at 3:00 A.M,with a target on your back, for 40 or 43,000 ?
Most of us wouldn't last 10 minutes before we would have an accident in our pants.

Sorry,I am a teacher so I have to say it.It is the same for people who think NYC teachers get paid too much.See how long they would last in front of and trying to control a class of 30 or 35 teenagers in some sections of the city.Would you do it for 40,000/yr ?
I've never heard of anyone claiming that NYC teachers get paid too much. What a bizzarre belief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM

4,116 posts, read 3,148,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
What do you all think we can do to improve the NYPD?
Allowing almost ANYONE AND EVERYONE to join them ... What idiots!!!! We are in a deal of a mess and of course they are not making situations any better

Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,090,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeleyes86 View Post
I've never heard of anyone claiming that NYC teachers get paid too much. What a bizzarre belief.
Yes,it is bizarre but it is quite prevalent.
Wait until the next teachers contract negotiations and you will hear all about how teachers already make too much because they really only work part time and rake in the benefits.It happens every time.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:51 PM

283 posts, read 522,102 times
Default Huh?

"You cannot solely blame the shooting in Harlem on race. I guarantee you that the cop who fired the shots did not see the color of the skin of the person he fired the shots at. ALL HE SAW WAS A GUN. He saw two individuals running. One was chasing the other, and he saw a GUN. When that gun was turned and pointed in his direction, he fired. Period. It had nothing to do with race. It was self preservation. I would have done the same. Until a gun is pointed at you, you will never understand. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++This is ludicrous! You dont' know this to be true at all! And based on the precedent of this type of thing happening more than once before, I say it'smore likely that race *was* involved than not. +++++++++++++_++++++++++++The officer that was killed violated all the rules of a confrotational situation that the NYPD has. He drew his weapon, instead of calling for help, did not expose his shield as he is supposed to, and when confronted, did not remain motionless. I AM not directly blaming him.++++++++++++++++++++uh, yes you are.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:06 PM

283 posts, read 522,102 times
How do you know this....-----------------------------------------------------I think the New York police have GREATLY improved since when I was a kid. I think that what they are doing now is on the right track, and I am so glad that the crook, Kerick, was got rid of.
[/quote]Given this:[/quote] I don't have a lot of personal interactions with the police[/quote]??& I think the number of corruption cases, lawsuits, and civial complaints against the force make it clear that they're not doing a good job.. Oh, and the fact that they get no respect or trust in alot of neighborhoods. [/quote]It is hard to consider that in these days there would be racial dissention in the force or causing murders of black men. [quote]why is it hard? Because you want to live in a fantasy world where Obama waved a magic wand and made us a "post-racial" country where we all hold hands singing kumbya? Lol, sorry but the prejudice against blacks in not only law enforement but most other areas from housing to emplyment is deep-seated and will continue to manifest itself even if in the most subtle ways.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:40 PM

144 posts, read 464,132 times
this will not improve the nypd, but i wish they would bring back police tours(citizens riding in the police during the officers shift)
i always wanted to go on one of those, but i wouldnt want people to think i was snitching

Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,982,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie Jenkins View Post
How do you know this....-----------------------------------------------------I think the New York police have GREATLY improved since when I was a kid. I think that what they are doing now is on the right track, and I am so glad that the crook, Kerick, was got rid of.
Given this:[/quote] I don't have a lot of personal interactions with the police[/quote]??& I think the number of corruption cases, lawsuits, and civial complaints against the force make it clear that they're not doing a good job.. Oh, and the fact that they get no respect or trust in alot of neighborhoods. [/quote]It is hard to consider that in these days there would be racial dissention in the force or causing murders of black men.
Quote:
why is it hard? Because you want to live in a fantasy world where Obama waved a magic wand and made us a "post-racial" country where we all hold hands singing kumbya? Lol, sorry but the prejudice against blacks in not only law enforement but most other areas from housing to emplyment is deep-seated and will continue to manifest itself even if in the most subtle ways.
I think that the police have to do a lot of work in neighborhoods to earn the respect and cooperation that they need if they are sincere about doing their job.
I also think there has been a large turnover of police and the guys we see today, many of them, are not the corrupt jerks of yesteryear.
They sholld be working on having an immaculate record, in all neighborhoods.
I have found them much more responsive to the public today than before.
Let us say that neither side in this disgraceful incident followed procedure.
How does the department intend to change that?
People need, not lip service, but seeing changes taking place.
I have heard so much about drugs being sold in certain areas and good people having called to complain and nothing being done.
Is that still happening?
School shootings - is that still happening?

This crazy cowboy unit that seems to be committing most of the atrocities against blacks - is that GANG being broken up and retrained?

Don't we know, BY NOW, that they are giving the entire department a bad name?

About salaries of schoolteachers, it does not help their plight when spokespeople are inarticulate and sound like a bunch of thugs speaking on the media. Maybe we need some retraining and dismissal of teachers, too. Sure, a good teacher and a good cop deserve money, but when there are obviously jerks among them and the public does not see these guys being let go how can they expect better salaries. We should not be rewarding bad behavior.

There is no reason why New York teachers and police should not be the finest in the nation. Maybe to reach that goal they will both have to do a bit of house cleaning.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,982,812 times
I just read, in the NYTimes, that 'The department does not interview officers involved in fatal shootings until a prosecutor determines whether criminal charges will be brought.' This certainly can give officers enough time to figure out a plausible story that they hope the investigation will buy.

Gov. Paterson is starting an investigation into why so many officers of color are being gunned down by white officers: Paterson, himself, can recollect eight such instances.

There is a proposal of fitting officers' guns with devices that will recognize each other - a great idea, in my book, only if the 'signal' can be changed easily because if the past repeats itself very little time will elapse before the drug peddlers get copies of these guns.

When officer Dunton shot officer Edwards, look at the resume of the guy who was supposed to be Dunton's supervisor at the time(Sgt. John Anzelino):

Sgt. at scene of shooting of Officer Edwards has long history of complaints

Are such supervisors routinely delegated tours mostly in poor neighborhoods? Have studies been done of the comparative records of police serving neighborhoods of different economic profiles?

I find it hard to believe that Dunton yelled 'stop, police' to Edwards. Edwards would have well known what would have followed that warning if he did not stop and especially if he turned his gun towards the speaker of those words. He would not have been that stupid, surely their training addresses such issues to avoid this very instance.

(Then again, Brit troops stay clear of American military operations because there are too many instances of friendly fire shootings.)

A question - if there are several police and only one is actively engaged, cannot regulations say the driver must videotape all that passes? This way there would not be so many of the public doubting
the word of our officer Dunton. You'd think the police would love to have a recording of the entire episode to clear their names. What about all of those cameras that are on our streets? Don't they pick up such things?

Why is Anzelino still on the force, or why is he not restricted to desk work for the rest of his career? Do they ever cut the salary of crappy officers until they just quit on their own?

Why do some people who are legally entitled to carry a gun demonstrate less smarts than many on the street who do not?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-06-2009 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Please discuss drug legalization/decriminalization in a different thread/forum -- thanks.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:54 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,991,255 times
Default Take a real look at all the facts

The previous post that makes an issue of the number of complaints filed against the officers involved in this recent shooting is an example of not looking at the whole picture. The whole picture of how much crime the NYC police are dealing with - These guys had many arrests credited to them. They are active cops - being exposed to more crime in one year than police from other cities and towns would see in a lifetime.

Of course people are going to file complaints against them - that's routine in an environment that hates the police.

Look at the number of crimes being committed, the areas in which they work, and the people that live in those areas. Sure, there are many good people in these areas - but there are many bad people. Look at all the numbers. Look at what the cops are confronted with day-in and day-out. Even the communities leaders look to gain votes by demonizing the police.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:09 AM

363 posts, read 818,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
The previous post that makes an issue of the number of complaints filed against the officers involved in this recent shooting is an example of not looking at the whole picture. The whole picture of how much crime the NYC police are dealing with - These guys had many arrests credited to them. They are active cops - being exposed to more crime in one year than police from other cities and towns would see in a lifetime.

Of course people are going to file complaints against them - that's routine in an environment that hates the police.

Look at the number of crimes being committed, the areas in which they work, and the people that live in those areas. Sure, there are many good people in these areas - but there are many bad people. Look at all the numbers. Look at what the cops are confronted with day-in and day-out. Even the communities leaders look to gain votes by demonizing the police.
Agreed. If you work in a busy precinct, an active cop may receive more civilian complaints than a cop in a slow precinct. For example, a cop may receive more complaint in the 75th precinct than compared to the 112 precinct. Some complaints are justifiably filed by people who experienced an officer that was way out of line. There are also complaints that are filed by people for the wrong reason (revenge for being arrested or a family member being arrested). I think the questioned should be on not how many complaints were filed against an officer, but how many complaints filed against an officer were substantiated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City