Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:25 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It seems like one of things the NYPD needs to do is reach out more with its recruiting. They should be at pretty much every job fair in every NYC college, and the city should let them run more advertising and awareness. With a larger pool of people to draw from, then the NYPD CAN be selective.
I think the question should be what haven't they done to get the word out and reach more people to join their ranks. Everything you mentioned the NYPD has done and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Couple of thoughts
1) I feel we need more city cops who were raised in the city. Many of these cops are from LI or way upstate NY, were their High School and town was like 95 percent white. They become cops, either it's a life long dream, or it's family tradition, and after going through the academy; they get sent to patrol Bed-Stuy, or East Treamont at like 11pm, and I've seen it in their eyes, their scared, and that fear leads to the mentality, hell I'll shoot first and ask questions later..
The NYPD actually encourages people from within the boroughs to apply for their test and give it a try. They are awarded 5 residency points on the exam for being an NYC resident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
2)I always thought the number one rule of undercover cops was to never break cover. If a unit is undercover and they observe something, there should be a fully uniformed unit with the undercover unit, who'd be ready to move in if needed, and question someone, or make an arrest. Maybe this would prevent tragedies like the one this past week, maybe?
Thing is, the responding officers were not undercover, as far as I read on different news sources. It was allegedly a plainclothes patrol unit who happened to pass by when the incident occurred. I would assume undercover officers doing some sort of intelligence would have a back up unit nearby, usually not in uniform as well. Uniformed or not, I don't think it would have made a difference.

Last edited by 009; 05-30-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:30 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I agree completely.As long as they only pay 35,000/yr to people who who put their lives on the line every day they are only going to recruit people who are either of below average intelligence and education or who have some kind of psychological issue that makes them want to bully others....or both. It is dangerous to put guns into such peoples hands.
The person said they START with that. This is while they are learning. Most civilian jobs hire people after they are trained and most, now, no longer pay for college, but expect hirees to already have a degree.

I assume/hope that recruits go through some psychological testing which is repeated every so many years. It is a stressful job and you don't want stressed out people walking amongst us with guns.

I don't know much about the organisation, like, how long does a person stay in one function before he's rotated around to something else? That, it seems, would lessen stress and/or boredom and/or corruption and bribery, if such things are still occurring.

I think there were many changes made after 911 and the police have changed dramatically for the better. Part, I've been told, due to many Federal undercover people swarming over the city.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:43 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatrk View Post
If there was some wrong that was done by the officers that were on duty that night, then by all means, punishment is appropriate and should be carried out. I also believe that other than Al Sharpton, the NYPD Internal Affairs Bureau, or for that matter YOU, there should be someone else to conduct the investigation on how or why this seems to be a problem.
If police are involved in a crime how come they have two days before they must make a statement? THAT looks so suspicious to people. You'd think they would change that because we all know there would never be a coverup by the police, don't we?

Some police departments act like a gang of thugs only making drug arrests of the competition.

In such cases, what is an honest cop to do? He does not even know how high up the corruption goes - if he wanted to report the crooks, who could he turn to? Internal affairs, I guess. That might make his career end, right there.

It is hard when the community is suspicious. Bad cops ruin it for the good ones and the fact that the good ones don't rat them out make a person think the corruption is endemic.

Ah, well, it's the way of the world, isn't it? At least we are not yet as bad as Mexico, with drug wars between the armed forces, the police, private security, gangs: all corrupt and all trying to kill competitors. Funny that this just started when 'the wall' went up and drugs could not easily pass into the US. They backed up into Mexican border towns and the price went way down and then the shooting started.

I would hate for that to happen here, but we have seen more than once that the US government imported drugs into the US and we have heard nothing about an internal investigation into the armed forces and CIA to stop it, so we can only assume that it is still going on.

What a mess. We should legalize the stuff to take the profit out.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:41 PM

363 posts, read 817,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If police are involved in a crime how come they have two days before they must make a statement? THAT looks so suspicious to people. You'd think they would change that because we all know there would never be a coverup by the police, don't we?
Actually, the forty eight hour rule in which your talking about has already been abolished. What more than likely happened was that the officers that fired their guns were rushed to a hospital for trauma. Standard procedure and honestly speaking, necessary. You want to make sure that whatever testimony provided by the officers holds up in court and was not obtained under stress or fear.

Just so that we all know, it is also standard procedure that officers involved in a shooting are subjected to a sobriety test on the scene as well.

Last edited by akatrk; 05-30-2009 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 05-30-2009, 10:52 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,428,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
I beg to differ.
You are REQUIRED to have at least 60 college credits.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:13 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Really? Where did you hear that?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
I think the question should be what haven't they done to get the word out and reach more people to join their ranks. Everything you mentioned the NYPD has done and more.
Obviously, they are either not doing it to the necessary extent or are doing it in the wrong way. I don't think this is an unfair criticism--its recruitment and media distribution is lacking.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:28 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Really? Where did you hear that?
See below, from the NYPD FAQ website
Attached Thumbnails
Nypd-nypd.jpg  

Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
See below, from the NYPD FAQ website
Hmmmm well if cops are shooting cops with requirements like this you know what I say.........MAKE THE REQUIREMENTS TOUGHER so we can have people who actually wanna make the city safer.

Moderator cut: Inflammatory accusations

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-31-2009 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: Unless you have proof of corruption, idiocy and drug trading, please don't post those accusations -- thanks.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:18 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post

Why do people think because they went to college that makes them some kind of expert on something (which I did go to college by the way, but that's beside the point)?? People get into intelligent debates and at the first sign of defeat or trouble they start waving their degree around like some kind of shield, it's rather pathetic. For the record Mr. Cottonwood, going to college doesn't make you more knowledgeable than an individual who didn't attend or who doesn't have as many years or degrees as yourself. College is the same place that teaches that Columbus discovered America, which is one of the biggest lies in the history of mankind. Miseducation is poison, so it's not about where you learned, or how much you learned as much as it is about what you learned.

Mod cut: personal attack

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-31-2009 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City