Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 10:49 AM

674 posts, read 1,815,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Hmmmm well if cops are shooting cops with requirements like this you know what I say.........MAKE THE REQUIREMENTS TOUGHER so we can have people who actually wanna make the city safer.

Moderator cut: Inflammatory accusations
Ex-Staten Island NYPD commander reassigned following corruption probe - SILive.com
NYPD corruption report exposes officers’ deep criminal instincts
NYPD Murder Sean Bell—Over 50 Shot Fired
Disgusted with the system: NYPD: School Handcuffed Kindergartener For Tantrum
Ex-NYPD commissioner Bernard Kerik surrenders in corruption probe (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/11/09/2007-11-09_exnypd_commissioner_bernard_kerik_surren.html - broken link)

YouTube - NYPD corruption at its best.
Brooklyn Man Dies After Being Tasered By NYPD - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/topstories/taser.death.nypd.2.825077.html - broken link)

THERE IS THAT ENOUGH PROOF OF THE NYPD'S INVOLVEMENT IN THE DRUG TRADE THEIR CORRUPTION AND IDIOCY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 11:47 AM

102 posts, read 297,342 times
I was from the inside of the NYPD. Trust me when I tell you that cops today are NOT the same caliber as they were years ago. Today, training is poor, they are not physically fit or as mentally fit as they were years ago. The department is not allowed to use the same training methods they employed 20 years ago; you can thank personal injury attorneys for that. You cannot solely blame the shooting in Harlem on race. I guarantee you that the cop who fired the shots did not see the color of the skin of the person he fired the shots at. ALL HE SAW WAS A GUN. He saw two individuals running. One was chasing the other, and he saw a GUN. When that gun was turned and pointed in his direction, he fired. Period. It had nothing to do with race. It was self preservation. I would have done the same. Until a gun is pointed at you, you will never understand. The officer that was killed violated all the rules of a confrotational situation that the NYPD has. He drew his weapon, instead of calling for help, did not expose his shield as he is supposed to, and when confronted, did not remain motionless. I AM not directly blaming him. I blame the department and its shoddy training. The NYPD academy has become an assembly line. They put out warm bodies in uniforms for the purpose of omnipresence as a deterrent to terrorism (LOL) and to generate revenue in the form of BS summonses. I have seen people harassed and summonsed for riding bicycles on the sidewalk, drinking a beer from a paper bag, lighting a cigarrette when exiting a store or train station, and my all time favorite, walking through a park after dark. Enforcing laws such as these does absolutely nothing for community relations, especially in minority communities. I say that because I know that there are no Paisans being summonsed in Bay Ridge for playing cards and drinking wine on the sidewalk. The NYPD needs to be revamped. It needs to be run by Bosses that spent time on the street and will continue to spend time on the street. Most of the policy makers in the NYPD have not seen patrol for at least 20 years or more. It is not the same department as it was long ago and it saddens me.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:48 PM

588 posts, read 948,412 times
The caliber of the nypd was better in the past. Regarding corruption, it was worse 30 years ago.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:24 PM

674 posts, read 1,815,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
The caliber of the nypd was better in the past. Regarding corruption, it was worse 30 years ago.
No doubt about it but the corruption today is 2nd to only the serpico days.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post

Very true! Corruption is at an all time low. By that, I mean institutional or systemic corruption. An individual officer that steals or engages in illegal activities off duty will always be a problem. But, on a whole, the NYPD is at a low point in corruption. I doubt there are any Buddy Boys or Dirty 30 precincts out there. It is too difficult to pull off such activities without detection nowadays.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Couple of thoughts
1) I feel we need more city cops who were raised in the city. Many of these cops are from LI or way upstate NY, were their High School and town was like 95 percent white. They become cops, either it's a life long dream, or it's family tradition, and after going through the academy; they get sent to patrol Bed-Stuy, or East Treamont at like 11pm, and I've seen it in their eyes, their scared, and that fear leads to the mentality, hell I'll shoot first and ask questions later..
Having conducted internal investigations I will definitely tell you that most civilian complaints are made against cops that reside in NYC. The complaint ratio is @ 54-56% (city resident NYPD personnel) vs. 44-46% (NYPD that reside in the outside resident counties). Of course that ratio has fluctuated over the years, but has never been the inverse, in my experience.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,440,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
For the record Mr. Cottonwood, going to college doesn't make you more knowledgeable than an individual who didn't attend or who doesn't have as many years or degrees as yourself.
I never said it did.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:23 AM
ako

140 posts, read 338,048 times
Wow, interesting thread. Interesting to see how everybody has such differing opinions on this.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,058,940 times
Judging from the cops accused of sodomizing a guy...they are hiring too many young punks. The one kid I saw leaving court on TV the other day in the sodomy case looks like he's 18 and should be flipping pizzas. No way a kid like that should be given authority over anyone. He can't handle it.

Some of the trainees I've seen in Manhattan over the last few years barely have facial hair. Inevitably the result of the low starting salary (which was recently given a big boost) is part of the problem.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 AM

235 posts, read 1,086,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Couple of thoughts
1) I feel we need more city cops who were raised in the city. Many of these cops are from LI or way upstate NY, were their High School and town was like 95 percent white. They become cops, either it's a life long dream, or it's family tradition, and after going through the academy; they get sent to patrol Bed-Stuy, or East Treamont at like 11pm, and I've seen it in their eyes, their scared, and that fear leads to the mentality, hell I'll shoot first and ask questions later..
2)I always thought the number one rule of undercover cops was to never break cover. If a unit is undercover and they observe something, there should be a fully uniformed unit with the undercover unit, who'd be ready to move in if needed, and question someone, or make an arrest. Maybe this would prevent tragedies like the one this past week, maybe?
None of these units were undercover. 1 was off-duty, one was plainclothes. Plainclothes cops patrol in regular clothes so they don't stand out as law enforcement, undercover cops are cops who are pretending to be persons invovled in criminal behavior ie buying drugs, working as prostitutes, and in long term investigations as members of gangs, the mafia or other organized crime.

As for the 'born in the city' comment: do you really think a kid who grows up on Staten island will understand Bed-Stuy better than some kid from Valley Stream? Does a kid who grows up in the South Bronx really understand Douglaston? Heck, does the middle class white kid from SI even understand Douglaston or the Upper East Side LOL?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City