Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 07:06 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times

Advertisements

Rent Stabilization apts lead to situations like parents' corpses being stored in the apt so the kids can keep tge place and continue cashing the social security checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 07:16 AM

106,568 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Rent Stabilization apts lead to situations like parents' corpses being stored in the apt so the kids can keep tge place and continue cashing the social security checks.
many stabilized apartments are no bargain .

rent controlled yes , but depending on the location and rent history there may be no savings on stabilized. but these apartments have not been renovated in decades.

our building has lot’s of stabilized apartments but they are renovated and at market

Old 11-23-2021, 11:45 AM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rent.in.ny
. Yes, what happened with his mother? Where did she go? I think there was never a mother in that apartment, but him.

Must be a number of lock-up freezers from Costco in apartments all over NYC.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:34 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,235,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the burden of proof falls on the tenant to prove his primary home when challenged ..no one else has to prove a thing if you are challenged in or out of court .

when it is true you will gladly produce things like cell phone pings , atm usage , ez pass , etc .that is your defense .

so courts or landlords dont have to access a thing , it is the person trying to show where they really live that does.

it is no different than proving your domicile to the irs
easy to get around, meaningless and also easy to get around, irrelevant for almost everyone in nyc and easy to get around and that's if you have to.i do drive and i'm not trying to hide anything from anyone but all my ezpass records would prove is i don't live in staten island. i could easily be living anywhere else in nyc based on looking at them.

Someone getting paperwork etc to act like they're living somewhere else for 2+ years can easily get around any of this stuff. Cameras coming in and out would be the hardest part and even then most people determined to get away with taking over rent controlled apartments they don't really belong in get away with it. People are really underestimating how tenant friendly ny is and how hard it is for landlords to get people out.

Old 11-23-2021, 02:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingelz83 View Post
Dude you were better off on Reddit. This place is full of opinionated, narrow minded grumps. ( As you can see by the replies). You are entitled to the apartment, especially if you "lived" there for two years prior. Keep your mailing and ID address locked into that unit. And as metromoxo said, look into succession rights on the internet and take it from there. You'll be ok just don't worry about the negative nancies typing from their gloomy basement.
opin
Opiniated,narrow minded grumps,negative nancies typing from their gloomy basement are taxpayers subsidising her mother who was making too much money to deserve a rent controlled apt,and now the daughter wants it to last forever,probably by the time she is 72,she would pass on to her heir.
Of course the building could have collapsed by then due to insufficient fund to maintain the building.
Typinng from my gloomy basement,
yours sincerely,
ext New York/Queens resident

Old 11-23-2021, 04:02 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,102 times
Damn, this thread kind of blew up.

I stated in post #30 that I live in the apartment currently. I explained the whole situation there, but if you don't want to believe me, then I can't change your POV when it comes to that.

Anyway, I know people that are actually committing apartment fraud in NYC. I'm not doing that. What they do is none of my business though.

I believe that some of you that are angered or pissed off may be better off directing your energy towards some other "societal problems".

Old 11-23-2021, 07:25 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post

I believe that some of you that are angered or pissed off may be better off directing your energy towards some other "societal problems".
Great defense mechanism.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:46 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
Damn, this thread kind of blew up.

I stated in post #30 that I live in the apartment currently. I explained the whole situation there, but if you don't want to believe me, then I can't change your POV when it comes to that.

Anyway, I know people that are actually committing apartment fraud in NYC. I'm not doing that. What they do is none of my business though.

why should we,one is just as bad as another,what is the difference?

Old 11-23-2021, 10:27 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
”the burden of proof falls on the tenant to prove his primary home when challenged ..no one else has to prove a thing if you are challenged in or out of court”

Nope. Landlord has burden of proof in holdover proceedings.

I've been involved with a number of these litigations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City