Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM

175 posts, read 549,975 times

Advertisements

I thought that by entering the subway you are subject to search without cause? Am I wrong about that? I know for a fact that you can't get into most court houses (or airplanes) without going through a search. I'm not an expert on search law, but there is a big difference between being searched in your home and being searched entering a subway or other facility. Right?

Other than getting ticketed driving through a speed trap, I've never had a negative experience with law enforcement. I have great respect for the difficulty of the job. I like seeing cops walking the street, and often ask for directions. They have always been helpful and polite to me. I don't understand how there could be so much racial profiling today when the police force is so integrated. Were there minority cops involved in separating the sanitation-uniformed white guy from the three black guys in that search?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:43 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classicalguy View Post
I thought that by entering the subway you are subject to search without cause? Am I wrong about that? I know for a fact that you can't get into most court houses (or airplanes) without going through a search. I'm not an expert on search law, but there is a big difference between being searched in your home and being searched entering a subway or other facility. Right?

Other than getting ticketed driving through a speed trap, I've never had a negative experience with law enforcement. I have great respect for the difficulty of the job. I like seeing cops walking the street, and often ask for directions. They have always been helpful and polite to me. I don't understand how there could be so much racial profiling today when the police force is so integrated. Were there minority cops involved in separating the sanitation-uniformed white guy from the three black guys in that search?
Yes, you're subject to random search when you enter the subway, and it's regarded as a safety precaution which eliminates the need for any specifics. Courthouses have metal detectors at the entrance, and you're often searched to make sure you don't try to eliminate the witnesses, as that could be a problem. Really, all they need is "probable cause" which could be something as little as just a feeling, but I don't really mind, because I perfer safety over privacy when entering certain places.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:26 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,004,147 times
I have had 95% positive experiences with Police Officers, and all of the time it has been in Mott Haven. Most recently, I was walking through the park with my doggie, and a cop car was driving through the park, and called me over. "Excuse me sir, but what kind of dog is that." "She is a rottweiler/shepherd mix." "Well that is a beautiful dog you have there. Sir we would like to advise you that there have been some robberies in the park lately, and we know that you do not want to be a victim. So we ask you to please go home, or at least leave the park." I replied" Is this a recent occurence or always the case." "It is a recent rash of robberies so please go home." I replied "Thank you." and they said "Have a good evening sir."

That has been my typical experience with cops, but that is not to say I have not had negative experiences. But considering the amount of crap (inside and outside the dept) they have to deal with, they do a phenomenal job overall. And that's the truth.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I have had 95% positive experiences with Police Officers, and all of the time it has been in Mott Haven. Most recently, I was walking through the park with my doggie, and a cop car was driving through the park, and called me over. "Excuse me sir, but what kind of dog is that." "She is a rottweiler/shepherd mix." "Well that is a beautiful dog you have there. Sir we would like to advise you that there have been some robberies in the park lately, and we know that you do not want to be a victim. So we ask you to please go home, or at least leave the park." I replied" Is this a recent occurence or always the case." "It is a recent rash of robberies so please go home." I replied "Thank you." and they said "Have a good evening sir."

That has been my typical experience with cops, but that is not to say I have not had negative experiences. But considering the amount of crap (inside and outside the dept) they have to deal with, they do a phenomenal job overall. And that's the truth.
Of course, most police are very nice, but a lot of people forget that they're human too, and that some of them are subject to fallacy. I've had a few bad experiences, but much more good ones to outnumber them.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Yes I agree..they are human beings and there are good and bad ones, but in my experience in one of the poorest, most crime ridden areas of NYC, the police have been very professional and courteous, so that puts things in perspective for everyone.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:12 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,340 times
My Puerto Rican friend was double parked in front of my building yesterday quietly waiting for my H to come downstairs. Some DTs (detectives) pulled over and asked him a series of questions like, what was he doing there? who was he meeting? etc. Obviously this is completely ILLEGAL. He was doing nothing aside from sitting in his car and being Puerto Rican and looking "ghetto" (meaning he's a big guy with a gold chain and a big T shirt and baggy shorts and a baseball hat). Basically if you talk to people of color, you will find racial profiling is a very prominent part of life for some people. I guess its "probably cause" to look "ghetto" LOL. Seriously, can we stop thinking all men who wear the ghetto style are thugs and criminals? This guy is extremely hard-working and makes over $100,000 working in his union and always doing over-time. HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE TREATED LIKE THIS. Yet he is stopped all the time because he has money but is "ghetto". Of course everyone thinks he must be a drug dealer, but that's just not the case.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
My Puerto Rican friend was double parked in front of my building yesterday quietly waiting for my H to come downstairs. Some DTs (detectives) pulled over and asked him a series of questions like, what was he doing there? who was he meeting? etc. Obviously this is completely ILLEGAL. He was doing nothing aside from sitting in his car and being Puerto Rican and looking "ghetto" (meaning he's a big guy with a gold chain and a big T shirt and baggy shorts and a baseball hat). Basically if you talk to people of color, you will find racial profiling is a very prominent part of life for some people. I guess its "probably cause" to look "ghetto" LOL. Seriously, can we stop thinking all men who wear the ghetto style are thugs and criminals? This guy is extremely hard-working and makes over $100,000 working in his union and always doing over-time. HE DOES NOT DESERVE TO BE TREATED LIKE THIS. Yet he is stopped all the time because he has money but is "ghetto". Of course everyone thinks he must be a drug dealer, but that's just not the case.
I don't think it's illegal to ask someone what they're doing somewhere, but I can see how that could be very annoying for him.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:25 PM

Actually if he is double parked he IS doing something unlawful...double parking! He was being questioned based on what he was doing, time of day, and yes appearance counts. Gold chains, and all the bling isn't helping any....and all the $100,000 salaries does not take the ghetto out of anyone it seems. The cops did the right things...sorry!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:43 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
Actually if he is double parked he IS doing something unlawful...double parking! He was being questioned based on what he was doing, time of day, and yes appearance counts. Gold chains, and all the bling isn't helping any....and all the $100,000 salaries does not take the ghetto out of anyone it seems. The cops did the right things...sorry!
Actually it IS indeed racial profiling when they never ask anyone else who is double parked any questions at all. That is just a fact and a reality that cannot be debated. Since I'm often double parked while awaiting a spot as are many others, I know this for sure.

It should not be illegal or attract police attention to wear gold or look urban. Seriously!

Analytical, the police are legally permitted to ask questions but the recipient is also permitted to say they dont want to speak and move on. YEAH RIGHT. Would anyone feel safe doing that or would the police really be on your ass after that?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:44 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,120,324 times
So you're saying that there were cars with drivers of other races double parked all over the street and they just picked your friend because of his particular race? And how did they see his chain and know his clothes were oversized?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City