Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
and i cannot determine who's who because i'm not a mind reader.
seventh, this is a two way street. The cops cannot tell who is ready & able to hurt them when they are stopping/investigating a situation.

I will concede that in the past 7-8 years the department brass has put a tremendous amount of pressure on the street cops to continue reducing crime. One of the methods is by counting how many "Stop, Question & Frisk" reports are prepared and compared during Compstat to last year's figures. A SQF can legally be done if an officer reasonably suspects that a crime has occurred, is occurring or is about to occur. The details have to be articulated on the report.

A common sense approach would tell me that crime has gone down alot over the years. So the amount of crimainl occurrences that are occurring or about to occur should be on the decline too. But the department does not accept that logic & pressures those on the front line to keep pumping the numbers up hoping that each one of those stops results in gun/narcotics seizures. Or at the very least that potential criminals are kept on their toes.

It is a successful program except for the reality that the street cops are pissing off the average folks that get rousted walking down the street in a narcotics/crime prone location. Now we have a blanket distrust of anyone carrying a badge, simmering hostility between the young people in the city & officers trying to protect them & their families and a department trying to maintain its law & order image while still promoting the "Courtsey, Professionaism & Repsect" campaign. It is a dangerous equation and something is going to give out.

Lastly, there are quite a few 911 calls that give a general description of men with guns or selling dope on the corner. Can the cops use it as an excuse to toss all the corner loungers? Of course. If you would like to learn more about the call the cops respond to you can purchase a police scaner at any Radio Shack. The frequencies & codes are all over the internet. Or better yet, there is the Citizen's Police Academy where one night a week for a couple of months NYPD instructors give courses similar to the real academy.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:30 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Nobody is using hearsay..we are stating our experiences..good and bad in fact. As I have stated..it is a necessary evil and I believe it has decreased crime substantially..so I am all for it. No doubt that there are bad apples in the force...but they are also perceived, because of the manner in which they must carry themselves oftentimes, as bad apples..although they are not. It sucks...but it comes with the territory.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
Guy, at the risk of complimenting you, I really don't think you understand how well you are able to communicate (although our opinions differ vastly) on these threads. Even you have had to tell some of your "disciples" to stop, think and then speak. You may not agree with the politics behind the NYPD, but at least you can take your negative personal problems with the force and admit that the force is there to protect, serve and enforce...and necessary evils are part of any job.

But I think a lot of us "pro-cop" (as you coin us) posters are just disgusted with the lack of understanding of, and respect for, the job and complete ignorance as to what cops see on a daily basis. They weed through crap on a daily basis, and if they make one or two mistakes with pullovers, well, so be it. But for some of these posters to say they have been given tickets for smoking or that their bags are searched and THEN RELATE those incidences to police being trigger happy not only perpetuates the ignorance, but incites anti-police emotion and rhetoric from some other ignorant folks out there.

Words can be dangerous weapons as well.

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 05-15-2008 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-15-2008, 03:50 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,000,933 times
Agreed 100%

Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 PM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
Guy, at the risk of complimenting you, I really don't think you understand how well you are able to communicate (although our opinions differ vastly) on these threads. Even you have had to tell some of your "disciples" to stop, think and then speak. You may not agree with the politics behind the NYPD, but at least you can take your negative personal problems with the force and admit that the force is there to protect, serve and enforce...and necessary evils are part of any job.

But I think a lot of us "pro-cop" (as you coin us) posters are just disgusted with the lack of understanding of, and respect for, the job and complete ignorance as to what cops see on a daily basis. They weed through crap on a daily basis, and if they make one or two mistakes with pullovers, well, so be it. But for some of these posters to say they have been given tickets for smoking or that their bags are searched and THEN RELATE those incidences to police being trigger happy not only perpetuates the ignorance, but incites anti-police emotion and rhetoric from some other ignorant folks out there.

Words can be dangerous weapons as well.
i was not able to tell, but if you are referring to my story, the thing that made me upset was that they made my white friend who was in sanitation gear stand to the side and he was not frisked, while myself and my 2 black friends were. just to speak up for myself, basically cops risk their lives on a daily basis and thats all there is to it. thats understood and they deserve respect for that. but just with that one incident, my whole perceptive of them was really let down. and thats my opinion.

not to get on the extreme side, but would you blame abner louima if he hated all cops after what he went through?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-15-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i was not able to tell, but if you are referring to my story, the thing that made me upset was that they made my white friend who was in sanitation gear stand to the side and he was not frisked, while myself and my 2 black friends were. just to speak up for myself, basically cops risk their lives on a daily basis and thats all there is to it. thats understood and they deserve respect for that. but just with that one incident, my whole perceptive of them was really let down. and thats my opinion.

not to get on the extreme side, but would you blame abner louima if he hated all cops after what he went through?
No, No 7th, not at all...I was NOT referring to anyone in particular. I was making an extreme point (as you were with Louima). I was just saying that there is a difference between having the occasional run-in with an officer (which happens all the time) and then relating the run-in to police officers being trigger-happy killers of blacks/hispanics.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:18 PM

842 posts, read 4,308,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
the occasional run-in with an officer (which happens all the time)
Why does it happen to you all the time?

Last edited by BXGEAR; 05-15-2008 at 08:27 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXGEAR View Post
Why does it happen all the time?

Well, it's about stats and sides of the story...you have 30 something THOUSAND POs in NYC, MILLIONS of residents in NYC, so something is bound to go awry (no system is perfect). Then you have the sides of the story...his, hers, and the truth. How people expect perfection from POs, when some residents can be anything but, is beyond me.

Go ask Guy this.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:15 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
I always viewed the NYC cops as a bunch of very slow...dumb...dunkin-donuts obsessed sort of group. I laughed when I saw that it is like the movies out here....they really are at the donut shop all the time.
I thought being in the NYPD was prestigious..and then I came here and realized that all the dummies get into it...that's also true for other parts of the US.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:18 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
I always viewed the NYC cops as a bunch of very slow...dumb...dunkin-donuts obsessed sort of group. I laughed when I saw that it is like the movies out here....they really are at the donut shop all the time.
I thought being in the NYPD was prestigious..and then I came here and realized that all the dummies get into it...that's also true for other parts of the US.
NYPD is just like the city.. some of the officers are very lazy, and joined because of the easy pay in a few years, and the benefits, but some are in fact, determined to work hard for their beliefs. It actually is pretty prestigious, because other states often recruit from our officers all the time, but I always wonder about this, because I seem to see tougher officers whenever I go to different states, or even just out of the city area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City