Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:14 PM

11 posts, read 52,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthQueens149 View Post
So exactly how many police involved shootings are there everyday in NYC? With 30,000 so-called trigger-happy cops, you would think there would be at least 50-100 a day, minimum.

The truth is that study after study shows the NYPD to be the most restrained PD in the nation. 30,000 cops, 8 million citizens, and a handful of police involved shootings every year. Those are the facts.

Thanks for the stats, I am biased (read my reply to this thread) but, yes, I also too believed that the NYPD must deal with an inordinate amount of insanity on a day-to-day, so the reported shootings that hit the media (Sean Bell, etc) probably aren't that bad in comparison. I can only speak for my own experience with the NYPD which left me relatively traumatized.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:34 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
Well, if they ran up to you SWAT style and plain clothes, I would have driven away and called 911 too. Too many people impersonating cops.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
risingsag, what exactly were you charged with? And what happened to the case? It sounds somewhat incredible to me.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 PM

11 posts, read 52,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
risingsag, what exactly were you charged with? And what happened to the case? It sounds somewhat incredible to me.
I was charged with resisting arrest. Basically anytime you refuse to comply with officers you will be charged with resisting and thrown in jail. The public defender I received before my arraignment was awesome and told me I did the right thing and she would get it dismissed no problem. Unfortunately my case was reassigned to a different Legal Aid attorney at my first hearing and the woman was a total moron. She didn't care to read my file or actually do any work for me, so I hired a private attorney. After going to court three times, the case was dismissed. I have no idea why the DA pursued it (after the cops apologized and insisted it would get thrown out!) because they really had no case at all. The ADA didn't read my file, had no idea I called 911, they just saw the resisting charge and offered me disorderly conduct. I refused to plea to a charge of disorderly when I didn't do anything wrong except believe these unprofessional cops were carjacking me! It was messed up to say the least...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:20 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,752 times
Didn't something similar happen to some guy out in Hauppauge a couple of years back? He was speeding, and apparently an unmarked car put its lights on, but the guy thought it was some hoax, carjacking, police impersonation, etc. So he called 911 and tried to drive back to his home while they were still chasing him? Wasn't he carged with resisting as well? Anyone remember that? Or is it just me?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:19 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingsag View Post
So yeah, they really are that bad. Don't swig from a brown paper bag, take up two seats on the subway, jump a turnstyle, smoke a joint on the street, or be drunk in public unless you want to spend 24 hours in jail. Central booking is really not a fun place.
all those activities are against the law and I would hope that someone engaged in those activities would get busted and spend a day in jail, I can never understand people who would get pissed at cops for doing their jobs

Old 05-13-2008, 04:43 AM

100 posts, read 374,496 times
apvbguy,

Good post!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:26 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,132 times
Yeah agreed apvbguy......If you are doing something wrong, or appear to be doing something wrong, can you really fault the police for taking action?

If it would mean safer neighborhoods for everyone, I have no problem being stopped and frisked, or my purse searched, or whatever. The example above with the swat team sounds excessive, but I have a hard time believing that occurs often.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 AM

100 posts, read 374,496 times
Default Are NYPD really that bad?

Don't swig from a brown paper bag, take up two seats on the subway, jump a turnstyle, smoke a joint on the street, or be drunk in public unless you want to spend 24 hours in jail.

These ARE punishable crimes believe it or not. Instead of people getting upset about police officers doing their job, just know the law and obey it. Simple.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:36 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Considering the kind of criminals the NYPD must control, many officers believe that they must shoot first or risk being taken out by superior criminal firepower.

I used to live in New Orleans, now that was a gun happy crowd wearing badges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City