Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you comply with a city issued shelter in place order?
Yes 132 74.16%
No 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 03:10 AM

19 posts, read 17,344 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, first off I hope everyone and their families are safe during this difficult time.

I have read that NYC has implemented a policy that prevents evictions for the next 60 days. I currently rent a room in Manhattan and would like to know if anyone has any insight, thousands of people in NYC rent rooms as well so I assume they have protection as well? I'm an independent contractor and have been living paycheck to paycheck and my hours are significantly reduced to the point of where I will be unable to pay my rent to the person renting the room. I live with 2 other roomates and the (I don't know if this is the right word) owner of the apartment lives in New Jersey and comes to collect the rent once a week. My rent is 100% up to date up until now and I've never been late once. I suspect that I am covered somehow but what about the person renting us rooms? If we are unable to pay our rent what options does he have, if any? This has kept me up all night, any advice would be welcome, thank you and God Bless, be safe.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:50 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Its a weird feeling. Empty, a depressing energy. Ive been there everyday. Bryant Park has had people though.

I thought about the Billy Joel song where he says how the lights go down on Broadway. And now its happened sadly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
This is New York City. Welcome to the best city in the world.

I want to cry when I see these pictures. I’m now working remotely and haven’t gone out for days.

Grand Central Terminal and Midtown can never be this empty and should have never been this empty.
You can be sad because it is sad, but you're NYers and you're tough and NYC isn't going anywhere. It can be changed, it can be up, it can be down, it can be slightly less full of people when some head for the hills, it can be rich, it can be poor, but you don't know what it's weathered in only my lifetime and bounced back to be the vibrant center of the universe. Don't mourn it because it's not dead. And don't leave it because it wouldn't be the same without you.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,501 times
Yeah I heard that too. It's better to check within your county. I'm thinking any city/state under a lock-down or shelter in place order will be temporarily exempt from creditors at this point. FYI I'm originally from Michigan but currently live in another state. The only reason why the Michigan governor hasn't given the order is because she said they can't afford it... she said it would hurt her senior population and she mentioned some other stuff. It wouldn't be hard to find something online should the landlord come sniffing around for the rent.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:10 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
666 cases, ominous.
I thought the same thing.
The devil's in Staten island.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:14 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
I'm no expert on this but NYC is a very tenant friendly city. My mother in law had tenants that didn't pay rent for a whole year and it took multiple court visits before she could get them evicted. So basically, the official legal eviction does not start until the tenants lose their case. I imagine this is what this 60 day thing is about. So if you stop paying your rent, your roommates will hate you, your landlord may harass you but he/she won't be able to legally evict you for quite a while.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:15 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Its a side conversation to what allowed the virus to spread, China's influence with money. The moment the governments saw what was happening way before Chinese New Year they could have stopped the flights to/from China but to not **** off the Chinese government who have so much money invested in other nations economies they allowed the flights to continue. Chances are NYC was hit so hard due to the tons of asians that came back during chinese new year carrying the virus which they were probably unaware of due to media suppression by the Chinese government.
The New York Times has said NY was getting 900 people from Wuhan, the epicenter of the crisis, per week.....

Now New York is the epicenter as American cases explode.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:17 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
You can be sad because it is sad, but you're NYers and you're tough and NYC isn't going anywhere. It can be changed, it can be up, it can be down, it can be slightly less full of people when some head for the hills, it can be rich, it can be poor, but you don't know what it's weathered in only my lifetime and bounced back to be the vibrant center of the universe. Don't mourn it because it's not dead. And don't leave it because it wouldn't be the same without you.

While the rest of the world was busy fighting/controlling the virus, mr diblasio was ... sleeping? or whatever monkey business he was up to...he together with his mayoral responsibility were totally lost from NYers' sights and life...

when he woke up, NYC was already besieged by the virus and epidemic...he then started crying for help and threatening to shut everything down...

if we could stop fearing and begin to reflect on how nyc evolved to its being today...first, you have the potus bragging, lying, and refusing to prepare and act by defying all signs of warnings...then you have a lay governor/mayor who are completely naive about the danger of a highly contagious virus as evidenced clearly in other nations who were desperate to fight it off...

The US/NYC had ample time to prepare to fend off or control this outbreak if there were visionary leaders...but there are not...time for a change soon!!

Old 03-23-2020, 04:21 AM

5,208 posts, read 4,666,583 times
With all the streets and subways being nearly empty, maybe this is a good time to start those projects to fix the crumbling infrastructure. MTA should take this opportunity to do major repairs on the subways.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:36 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Its a side conversation to what allowed the virus to spread, China's influence with money. The moment the governments saw what was happening way before Chinese New Year they could have stopped the flights to/from China but to not **** off the Chinese government who have so much money invested in other nations economies they allowed the flights to continue. Chances are NYC was hit so hard due to the tons of asians that came back during chinese new year carrying the virus which they were probably unaware of due to media suppression by the Chinese government.

The politicians cannot ban the flights before they had enough time to pull their money out of china...

The politicians cannot act promptly on controlling the outbreak in the US before they sell their stocks, fearing to stir public fear to cause the market to crash.

After they announced the flight ban effective on Feb 5/6, only Americans could enter the US from China; and they were let in without any effective quarantine measures enforced.

The chinese gov was evil in suppressing the timely and honest reporting of the severity of the epidemic at the beginning; but that only hurt its own people in china. When the epidemic spread to SK, Iran, Italy, and on the cruise ships, the POTUS was still celebrating his success and defying all expert opinions and intelligence on the pandemic.

The orange man is the guy who misled American public to falsely believe that this covid19 is just another flu...This epidemic is a system wide failure under ineffective leaderships at the top.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:37 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
With all the streets and subways being nearly empty, maybe this is a good time to start those projects to fix the crumbling infrastructure. MTA should take this opportunity to do major repairs on the subways.
using who for labor and using what for money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City