Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 04:48 PM
dun

193 posts, read 226,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMcAllister View Post
Passed the physical and I have a list number in a the low 2000s.. Will a Bachelors & a Masters do anything for me in the department or will they simply be a couple of pieces of recycle ? lol
if you havent already, frame your diplomas in the finest grain of wood with glass protectin it from water, dust, etc. buy two of these Fire Extinguisher Cabinet Break Glass Striker - Hammer Style - Fire Extinguisher Cabinets
and attach them to your expensive frames. hang your diplomas in your bathroom so when you run out of tp you at least have something to wipe your ass with

Old 11-24-2015, 04:56 PM

353 posts, read 471,537 times
Crap - I was just offered a new position at work paying about $103k a year! This is making it hard!

Please someone remind me that in the long run going with Sanitation is the smart move lol. I'm tired of the corporate world!

Old 11-24-2015, 05:10 PM
dun

193 posts, read 226,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
Crap - I was just offered a new position at work paying about $103k a year! This is making it hard!

Please someone remind me that in the long run going with Sanitation is the smart move lol. I'm tired of the corporate world!
stay corporate. theyll call me faster

Old 11-24-2015, 05:20 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,481 times
Quote:

My old job offered me a promotion to stay, would have been about 150k... Still left... Doesn't mean that's the right move for everyone though... Honestly 103 wouldn't keep me anywhere

Old 11-24-2015, 06:02 PM

137 posts, read 255,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
No it doesn't, no extra education requirement all the way up the ladder
Absolutely correct.
People skills matter and management skills matter. All mentioned which can be obtained without a degree.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:37 PM

182 posts, read 220,562 times
Quote:
My old job offered me a promotion to stay, would have been about 150k... Still left... Doesn't mean that's the right move for everyone though... Honestly 103 wouldn't keep me anywhere
And I'm concerned about going into DSNY while making 60k where I am now. Thanks that made me feel a whole lot better lol.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:41 PM

182 posts, read 220,562 times
I have a question regarding DSNY pension. If a retired SW passes away, does his or her spouse continue to collect the pension or does it end all together?

Does DSNY have any holiday parties or dinners at the end of the year?

Old 11-25-2015, 02:32 AM

327 posts, read 469,654 times
Quote:

DSNY is a great job and all that, but make sure you leave the door open and stay on good terms with your old job. You might hate this job for a variety of reasons and having a 6 figure job in your back pocket is some good insurance.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:48 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRockSays View Post
DSNY is a great job and all that, but make sure you leave the door open and stay on good terms with your old job. You might hate this job for a variety of reasons and having a 6 figure job in your back pocket is some good insurance.
Absolutely!!! This job is def not for everyone!! Remember.. You will be working weird ass schedules... Never really be able to plan anything as we get our shifts daily...you will be out picking up baskets filled with maggots and sometimes rats, in the freezing cold /rain... All night , overnight... You will be wet, cold, tired, smell etc... But it all gets better!! That being said , you will have no stress at all... Which to me was worth it's weight in gold...my old job paid very well but was an extremely high pressure high stress environment... No days off, no sick days... The kind of place where it was like hey boss my mom passed away I gotta run out , and the response was like well we have a meeting at 3, so you gonna be long? ... No amount of money is worth that toxic environment... I really do love this job, just remember it's not that glorious !! Lol

Old 11-25-2015, 05:51 AM

353 posts, read 471,537 times
Quote:
Absolutely!!! This job is def not for everyone!! Remember.. You will be working weird ass schedules... Never really be able to plan anything as we get our shifts daily...you will be out picking up baskets filled with maggots and sometimes rats, in the freezing cold /rain... All night , overnight... You will be wet, cold, tired, smell etc... But it all gets better!! That being said , you will have no stress at all... Which to me was worth it's weight in gold...my old job paid very well but was an extremely high pressure high stress environment... No days off, no sick days... The kind of place where it was like hey boss my mom passed away I gotta run out , and the response was like well we have a meeting at 3, so you gonna be long? ... No amount of money is worth that toxic environment... I really do love this job, just remember it's not that glorious !! Lol
Thanks for the input all!

Yes - This sounds like me right now. The job I have is OK, but the stress is not worth the money. Taking days off is frowned upon, they overload me with tasks on a daily basis with short time lines, they pretty much make everyone do the job of 2 or 3 people because they have been downsizing and expect you to pick up the slack, the list goes on....

The industry I work for is a 24/7 operation, so working holidays, nights, etc. is normal for me.

I am starting a family in a couple of years and really need a job where I'm not as stressed and DO NOT bring my work home with me. Right now, even when i'm home, im expected to answer my cell phone and emails. PS... I get no OT. I can work up to 60-70 hours a week and not see any additional money. I'm tired of it.

So yes I may have been offered a promotion but now that I slept on it, i'm not excited for it anymore. It wouldn't be worth it. More money, yes, but it comes with a lot more stress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City