Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,882,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
on the artic shelf of Rockaway...
Well, well Guy. Aren't you being a little over the top, lol? Dec, Jan & Feb may bring in some cold winds but actually the water temperatures keep the air temp a little warmer during those cold snaps. And when it is 24 degrees outside, it doesn't matter if you are walking down the Grand Concourse or Rockaway Beach Blvd... it is still freezing.

The spring & fall are often some of the best times to enjoy a nice walk along the boardwalk or do some fishing along the bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,009,819 times
No more over the top than the "you will be the only one not on section 8 and food stamps", or "cooling off on fire hydrants".....but you did not call him on his over the top comments.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 46,737 times
so in the end i moved to rockaway park... right on the beach... and i wouldnt change a thing. yes, sometimes the wind is a little harsher than in the city, but if you are intelligent you put on a coat and it's just like any other winter day. i would recommend the area to anyone. 1 hr commute in exchange for a nice community in a beautiful area.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,882,672 times
tkds8, good luck with your move! Congratulations.

Couple of tips:
- there are a few nice stores & shops on Beach 129 St. The Harbor Light restaurant on Newport Ave is nice, cozy locals place
- Tiberio restaraunt on B.116 St is outstanding if you can get a reservation
- best pizza (debatable) & heros used to be Ciro's near Waldbaums but last I was there it looked like different owners. If you are down near b.92 st try Elegante's.
- Once May rolls around there is a joint called Connolly's on Beach 95 between Rockaway Beach Blvd & Shore Front that opens for the summer. It is a real surfer type bar with outstanding frozen pina coladas & neat, casual atmosphere. Jeff & Kerryanne are the very cool dead-head owners.

No more Playland.

Sorry Guy... wasn't trying to single you out. I just thought it was funny. The "Section 8" comment was somewhat absurd but the firehydrant comment wasn't too far off in my opinion. I've driven my patrol car through many of them to cool it off during those scorching summer days.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:01 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,422,129 times
ciros? i always found their pizza to be too oily.....gino's on beach 20 is the best in my opinion anybody in far rock will attest to that!

i always wanted to go to connollys though....maybe 1 day this summer.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-11-2008, 07:24 AM

TKDS is that 1 hour commute the time you are on the train to the time you pull into your stop? Or is it the time from when you leave your apt to when you arrive at your place of business. Somehow I suspect you are ONLY counting your train travel time and NOT your actual commute....furthermore I believe on the best day it takes an hour...on most days, with rain, snow, sick passengers, train traffic, etc, your commute is averaging closer to 1 and 1/2 hours each way.

That being said...when is the house warming? I wonder how long it would be from Mott Haven!!! 2 hours?!!! I think I might drive!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:08 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,422,129 times
it takes me an hour door to door and my office is on worth street and church street.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 AM

It's possible......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City