Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:01 PM

40 posts, read 93,889 times

Advertisements

I'd like to move to Rockaway this summer, as a former NYC resident who has never lived on the beach. I see properties on Beach 86th street, how is this area in terms of crime, and what are the demographics, and night life?

Beach 86th street as the midpoint...what does it look like around Beach 75-85th as well, as I anticipate i would be walking around familiarizing myself with the neighborhood, and going into stores. What is this place like?

Any residents can advise pros, and cons, of buying on Beach 86th street, or around there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,338,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR101587 View Post
I'd like to move to Rockaway this summer, as a former NYC resident who has never lived on the beach. I see properties on Beach 86th street, how is this area in terms of crime, and what are the demographics, and night life?

Beach 86th street as the midpoint...what does it look like around Beach 75-85th as well, as I anticipate i would be walking around familiarizing myself with the neighborhood, and going into stores. What is this place like?

Any residents can advise pros, and cons, of buying on Beach 86th street, or around there?
Lived in Rockaway my entire life.

Beach 86th Street honestly is a dumpy block. One part (south side) of Beach 86th Street has Hammels Houses on one side of it, and the other side has a corner store, a church and a few old houses not kept in the greatest condition. The cops did a raid on one of those houses a few years back and its been abandoned since.

The other (north) side of Beach 86th Street (the El splits Beach 86th Street in half) just has more old run down houses, and drug sales and prostitution occur around there too. How do I know? I don't partake in those things, but that area of Rockaway is one that I spend a lot of time in (particularly Hammels). I would not like to walk under the El or on the north side of Beach 86th Street at night. Its rather desolate and what's worse, getting robbed or bit by a stray dog? Both suck.

From Beach 75th to Beach 85 Streets, you have new beautiful residential development (Arverne by the Sea), mixed in with older buildings, more specifically Dayton Towers, which is a Mitchell-Lama development that runs from Beach 74th Street to Beach 90th Street. Decent buildings with swimming pools on the grounds and they're gated. Lastly, you have Hammels Houses, which although I frequent often, is a high-crime NYCHA development. It may help to look Google Maps as you're reading this.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-31-2010, 02:22 PM

Wow...that is too bad. I was looking in Far Rockaway as well and it is comparable in terms of price however I heard Far Rockaway was much worse I suppose it cant be too bad compared to what you mentioned about Beach 86th?

Would you mind taking a peek at this?
Far Rockaway Real Estate & Far Rockaway Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

The second to last and third to last properties caught my eye, the House and the Bungalow...nice area...or no?

Also there were two condos one on Nameoke street and another somewhere else...the 99,000 one. Whats your opinon?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Wow...that is too bad. I was looking in Far Rockaway as well and it is comparable in terms of price however I heard Far Rockaway was much worse I suppose it cant be too bad compared to what you mentioned about Beach 86th?

Would you mind taking a peek at this?
Far Rockaway Real Estate & Far Rockaway Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

The second to last and third to last properties caught my eye, the House and the Bungalow...nice area...or no?

Also there were two condos one on Nameoke street and another somewhere else...the 99,000 one. Whats your opinon?
2nd and 3rd to last properties: not in "great" areas of Far Rockaway...they're inconvenient as in they're really not close to the train station.

The building on Nameoke is decent. Its right around the corner from the precinct. Parking is almost impossible on that block however. I had a friend that used to live in that building and she liked it, parking was her only gripe.

Also Far Rockaway is actually a big neighborhood. Some parts are really nice and other parts can compete for "the best of the worst" in NYC.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:35 PM

Since we're on the topic...you mentioned beach 86th is a pretty dumpy block...can we go over a few blocks at a time how about beach 80, 81, 82, 83 and so on until beach 86 how is each block there?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Since we're on the topic...you mentioned beach 86th is a pretty dumpy block...can we go over a few blocks at a time how about beach 80, 81, 82, 83 and so on until beach 86 how is each block there?
Well Beach 80th Street has some Arverne by the Sea apartment buildings that are condos. Everything on the north side of Rockaway Beach Blvd from Beach 81st to Beach 86th Street is Hammels Houses. Everything on the south side of Rockaway Beach Boulevard from Beach 81st to Beach 86th Street are Dayton Towers, St. Rose of Lima church/catholic school, and Dayton Shopping Center. Thats pretty much it.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:58 PM

Sounds dumpy all around to me I guess...

and how about Beach 87th...all the way up to say Beach 95? Which blocks are "dumpy" there Which ones would you recommend scouting out in terms of living?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Sounds dumpy all around to me I guess...

and how about Beach 87th...all the way up to say Beach 95? Which blocks are "dumpy" there Which ones would you recommend scouting out in terms of living?
The area doesn't start getting decent until Beach 91st Street. The south sides of Beach 87th and Beach 88th Street literally doesnt have anything on them except for a daycare center and a storage facility. The north sides....more old dumpy houses. West of Beach 90th, the housing become predominatly 1 family houses, but they havent been kept up over the years, so the look run down. Crime is lower west of Beach 90th. Do you have a budget at least? Maybe I can point you in a favorable place in Rockaway to live if you say how much you are looking to spend.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 01-01-2011 at 12:15 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 08:04 PM

Oh okay thanks for that. Yeah I actually do have a budget i wa slooking to spend no more than 300,000 dollars for a house. Is this realisitc? Where are the desirable areas of the Rockaways that are affordable as well?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Oh okay thanks for that. Yeah I actually do have a budget i wa slooking to spend no more than 300,000 dollars for a house. Is this realisitc? Where are the desirable areas of the Rockaways that are affordable as well?
You will not find a house in a desirable area in Rockaway at that price, and if you do, you will probably need to spend another $150K minimum in renovations. You could possibly afford a condo or co-op on that budget however. The local newspaper called "The Wave", has a classified ads section that includes real estate.

Front Page | www.rockawave.com | Wave of Long Island

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City